What is the last number (alphabetically)?

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

stopmadnessnow

What is the last number (alphabetically)?

Postby stopmadnessnow » Sat May 07, 2016 6:08 am UTC

Without inventing new ...illions what is the last number alphabetically?

Spoiler:
Twenty two quintillion, twenty two quintillionths, twenty two thousand quadrillionths, twenty two thousand millionths and twenty thirds?

Spoiler:
Sorry, Twenty two, twenty two quintillionths, twenty two thousand quadrillionths, twenty two thousand millionths and twenty thirds?

Spoiler:
Sorry again. Two, two quintillionths, two thousand quadrillionths, two...you can guess the rest.
For comic writing or short story writing post-haste, contact the off-the peg joke chap. He has the nous.
http://plwimsett.simplesite.com/ for my site.
https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01110048bacb43eae6 to hire me at Upwork.

jaap

Re: What is the last number (alphabetically)?

Postby jaap » Sat May 07, 2016 7:55 am UTC

Spoiler:
zero

lorb

Postby lorb » Sun May 08, 2016 11:32 am UTC

What kind of numbers are allowed?
The greek numeral for 7 is called zeta and it's also the name of some other numbers/constants (in physics mainly)

And is "seven point eight" after "seven" alphabetically, for this puzzle? In dictionaries longer words are usually listed after the shorter ones, but if that is the case the last number has a neverending stream of digits. Relevant:
Spoiler:
discounting things like zeta, zero point zero zero zero zero zero... would be the last number, but imho you have to stick some other digit after all the zeros to make a valid number. But in that case the solution becomes "zero point [insert as many zeros as possible here] two" which any sane mathematician would simply just call epsilon.
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
http://decodedarfur.org/

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun May 08, 2016 7:52 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Vigintillion (afaik, the last of the standard -illions; equal to 1063) comes after the OP's examples. You would probably have vigintillion vigintillion ... vigintillion as last, depending on how you can name numbers that large.

Either way, I choose the sequence of ordinals: ζ0, ζζₒ etc. as being last.

lorb wrote:But in that case the solution becomes "zero point [insert as many zeros as possible here] two" which any sane mathematician would simply just call epsilon.
I thought epsilon was the function that enumerated the fixed points of α→ωα :P.

"Therefore it is in the interests not only of public safety but also public sanity if the buttered toast on cats idea is scrapped, to be replaced by a monorail powered by cats smeared with chicken tikka masala floating above a rail made from white shag pile carpet."

lorb

Postby lorb » Sun May 08, 2016 9:41 pm UTC

Spoiler:
emlightened wrote:
lorb wrote:But in that case the solution becomes "zero point [insert as many zeros as possible here] two" which any sane mathematician would simply just call epsilon.
I thought epsilon was the function that enumerated the fixed points of α→ωα :P.

Yes, but it's also common to use it for numbers arbitrarily close to zero. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%28%CE%B5,_%CE%B4%29-definition_of_limit

jmose

Postby jmose » Tue May 10, 2016 8:05 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Zwei?

Jim

ThemePark

Postby ThemePark » Wed May 11, 2016 11:03 pm UTC

jaap wrote:
Spoiler:
zero

Even better:
Spoiler:
zilch
I have traveled from 1979 to be a member of the unofficial board Council of Elders. Phear M3

mward

Postby mward » Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am UTC

ThemePark wrote:
jaap wrote:
Spoiler:
zero

Even better:
Spoiler:
zilch

Still better:
Spoiler:
zip

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Wed May 18, 2016 6:00 pm UTC

The largest number is currently whatever is displaying on...

Spoiler:
... the face of Big Ben.

Spoiler:
Because it's zulu time.
flicky1991 wrote:Forum Games: Beavertails likes pie.

lorb

Postby lorb » Wed May 18, 2016 10:23 pm UTC

being pedantic:
Spoiler:
Zulu time and GMT are the same time but not the same time-zone. Also big ben runs on british summer time during summer, which differs by a full hour from zulu time.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Thu May 19, 2016 12:42 pm UTC

lorb wrote:being pedantic:
Spoiler:
Zulu time and GMT are the same time but not the same time-zone. Also big ben runs on british summer time during summer, which differs by a full hour from zulu time.

Granted. However

Spoiler:
There is no big damn clock that is universally well known and tied strictly to zulu time that offers a better visual. :mrgreen:

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Fri May 20, 2016 11:36 am UTC

lorb wrote:being pedantic:
Spoiler:

Being more pedantic:
Spoiler:
Some common varieties of time:

• UT1: Solar mean time at Greenwich. Based on the Sun's apparent motion, but averaged out. Somewhat unpredictable, as the Earth's rotation can speed up or slow down (due to earthquakes, etc.)
  • TAI: International atomic time. Our best attempt at a constant time, based on an atomic clock or similar.
  • UTC: An integer number of seconds offset from TAI. Leap seconds are added or removed to keep UTC within a second of UT1.
  • GPS: A fixed number of seconds (19 I think) offset from TAI. Was the same as UTC when GPS was developed. Available from GPS satellites.
  • GMT is often considered the same as UT1 (as that was its original definition), but sometimes the same as UTC.
  • Zulu time is normally considered the same as UTC, but sometimes the same as UT1.
So GMT and Zulu time can differ by up to a second, depending on which definitions for GMT and Zulu you use.

And yes, it's possible to get even more pedantic. I glossed over some issues.
Last edited by Sandor on Fri May 20, 2016 11:03 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Beavertails

Postby Beavertails » Fri May 20, 2016 2:41 pm UTC

Sandor wrote:Being more pedantic:
Spoiler:
Some common varieties of time:

• UT1: Solar mean time at Greenwhich. Based on the Sun's apparent motion, but averaged out. Somewhat unpredictable, as the Earth's rotation can speed up or slow down (due to earthquakes, etc.)
  • TAI: International atomic time. Our best attempt at a constant time, based on an atomic clock or similar.
  • UTC: An integer number of seconds offset from TAI. Leap seconds are added or removed to keep UTC within a second of UT1.
  • GPS: A fixed number of seconds (19 I think) offset from TAI. Was the same as UTC when GPS was developed. Available from GPS satellites.
  • GMT is often considered the same as UT1 (as that was it's original definition), but sometimes the same as UTC.
  • Zulu time is normally considered the same as UTC, but sometimes the same as UT1.
So GMT and Zulu time can differ by up to a second, depending on which definitions for GMT and Zulu you use.

And yes, it's possible to get even more pedantic. I glossed over some issues.

I love these boards. :mrgreen:

Return to “Logic Puzzles”