That blank space in the Price field

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

diplipito

That blank space in the Price field

Postby diplipito » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:57 am UTC

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to post this (it could have gone in "Music" maybe), anyway take it as a puzzle but be aware that I don't have the solution - and probably there isn't one only.

Briefly. Radiohead have made a new record (finally! It's called "In Rainbows). They have no deal with any label, so they will just let people order it via their website (http://www.radiohead.com).
There are two options. You can buy the "discbox" (basically a huge and luxury set comprising the cd and a lot of additional material) for £40; or the download of the cd. The price of the download is up to you.

I was wondering what price should I type in - assuming I want to pay a fair price.

I guess this price will depend on the subjective willingness to pay, so I don't expect from you any actual amount, but rather a formula for calculating it.

So the question is: how much would you pay for a record you want to buy, if you can decide the price and want to be fair?

Thanks.
When I'm walking, I worry a lot about the efficiency of my path.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Re: That blank space in the Price field

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:42 am UTC

I would probably pay min(my willingness to pay, standard market price for a comparable item).
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

diplipito

Postby diplipito » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:45 am UTC

This implies that the standard market price is a fair price, which - especially in this industry - may be questionable. Anyway a good solution.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:27 pm UTC

Here's my take:
Imagine that you have a friend that has never heard of Radiohead, but you think would like the music. Since you respect the band and their intellectual property, you would rather buy your friend a legit copy of the album, rather than just make a copy. But only if the CD is reasonably priced. If it's more than _____, then fuck 'em - you bought one copy and that should be enough to cover you for sharing with a friend.

You should pay whatever fills in that blank. My gut feeling is that $6 is about right. But that's just me.

diplipito

Postby diplipito » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 pm UTC

:-) Cool... But I expected something like

AverageMarketPrice*(1 - LabelGrossMargin)*(PersonalArtistValueParameter)

or

PersonalArtistValue - (CostOfCdCase + CostOfCdR + CostOfColourPrint)

...some nerd things like that, from this forum. Come on.

Don't let me down (pa-ra-pa-ra-pa) don't let me doooown...

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:10 am UTC

On one hand, past Radiohead CD's I've bought have all been $30+ because that's how much the Australian music industry screws us over. **** em. I'll take this for free.

On the other hand I like Radiohead's music, and I appreciate them looking into alternate delivery methods that support mmodern culture.

And finally, it's hard to judge an appropriate price for music I've never heard; how can I possibly make an informed decision?

So I'll download for $0, then go back later and pay what I decide it's worth. Except that will ruin their stats on what people pay.

So I'll get pirate copies of something I could get legitimately for free, then I'll pay for it. And if I couldn't get it for free I'd probably not pay for it. It's all very zen. :-)
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

umbrae

Postby umbrae » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:32 am UTC

Things I think you have to take into account, in order:

Positives:
Song Value (if you've heard it already, and you like it a lot, you'll probably be willing to pay more)
Artist Value (if you previously like the artist)
Download Value (Don't gotta go buy it from a store)
FuckTheSystem Value (If you don't like the industry, you'll probably be more willing to pay a premium.)

Negatives:
No Wrapper - they don't have to pay for production of the physical CD
No Marketing - they haven't marketed this thing at all, and have not had to pay for it
No Labels - A good thing, but they don't get a cut so the average person might feel like they should take that off the top.

Turning these values into a fixed amount that represents dollar amount is hard. But that's what I'd see in it.

pernero

Postby pernero » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:04 am UTC

Also consider that you're getting the same CD whether you pay 1$ or 1000000$
But since Radiohead is my favorite band, I would go 15$, or 7 pounds.

evilbeanfiend

Postby evilbeanfiend » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:42 pm UTC

i believe there is a 45c charge to cover transaction costs over the price you pick as well
in ur beanz makin u eveel

wannabe

Postby wannabe » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:02 pm UTC

Put the shoe on the other foot.

If you gave Radiohead a blank check, what is the highest $ amount you could get see on your bank statement and not be pissed. Say $18. Now, what is the highest number you could see and still think wow, those guys were generous? Say $9. Use your numbers and take an average.
Disclaimer: I am not a scientist.

genewitch

Postby genewitch » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:57 am UTC

I would go with 50 american cents per track, since that's what i get paid for my music per download. Plus whatever overheard they charge (45 cents?).
...C is for people who would rather sit at home and match up pairs of socks by the count of their elastic bands, than to just get dressed with mismatched shoes and take the lady out to dinner and nail her in the car on the way home -xkcd_n00bz
MyMusic

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:02 am UTC

You should download it, then decide what you would have paid for it based on the quality.

Capitalism is only guaranteed to work with perfect information, do your part. 8)
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:05 am UTC

...ONE MILLION DOLLARS!
=]

Return to “Logic Puzzles”