New spoiler policy.

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

New spoiler policy.

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

There are two policies that apply, one to short, simple problems, another to long, complicated problems.

1) Short and sweet: put solutions in the puzzle thread hidden by a spoiler tag
Spoiler:
like this.
But please, before posting a solution check to see if others have already posted the same solution.

2) Long and bitter: the puzzle poster should create two threads, one titled "puzzle name" the other titled "puzzle name [solutions]". If you are the first person to respond to a tricky puzzle and it doesn't have a solution thread yet, make it yourself. Please remember to put a link to the other thread in the first post of the thread (ie in the puzzle thread put a link to the solution thread and in the solution thread put a link to the puzzle thread).

Ask questions about the puzzle in the puzzle thread, put answers in the solution thread un-spoilered (that way there will be less possibility of people arriving at the same solutions whilst percieving their contribution to be unique and we can also discuss whether a particular solution is a genuine solution in plain text the way nature intended us to participate on forums).

Feel free to discuss these policies here in this thread. If I like what you're saying I'll change the policy, but I think this will work well.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Re: New spoiler policy.

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:47 am UTC

Sounds good. And we have spoiler tags now? Cool! I didn't notice.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:00 am UTC

I didn't notice the spoiler tags either until someone used them.

The rules are just what we do now but written down. I can't imagine that there's a better way to do it, but I'm always open to being shown unimaginably good things.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:14 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I didn't notice the spoiler tags either until someone used them.

The rules are just what we do now but written down. I can't imagine that there's a better way to do it, but I'm always open to being shown unimaginably good things.

Of course, I'm terrible at deciding whether a puzzle is complicated or not, so inevitably create solution threads for puzzles with one line answers and spoilerized answers in puzzles which then generate pages of discussion.

P.S. I'm not sure if the rules thread is the right place for chitchat, so feel free to delete.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:53 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:Of course, I'm terrible at deciding whether a puzzle is complicated or not, so inevitably create solution threads for puzzles with one line answers and spoilerized answers in puzzles which then generate pages of discussion.

When in doubt start a solutions thread. Its just so much easier to read for frail old eyes like mine.

skeptical scientist wrote:P.S. I'm not sure if the rules thread is the right place for chitchat, so feel free to delete.

The old version was pretty chatty, I'm happy to have this be the same, until it gets annoying and inane. Then I'll probably lock, delete and mail incendiary devices.

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
if we hide our chitchat in spoiler tags would it matter if it is inane and annoying?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:01 am UTC

Yes, yes it would.

PS I think you need to put the colour tag inside the spoiler tag
Spoiler:
like this
to get that effect.

So, does this work?
Spoiler:
ab
Yes, yes it does.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:48 am UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:PS I think you need to put the colour tag inside the spoiler tag
Spoiler:
like this
to get that effect.

It should be noted that there are two schemes now. White inside spoiler tags isn't invisible in the other scheme. By trial and error I found [color=#E4ECEF] and [color=#EBF0F5] are pretty close to invisible (whether spoilered or not) in the traditionally light and dark posts, respectively, when using the other scheme. Haven't checked when in the context of a quote, but that'll probably be another [color=#XXXXXX]. :? In the event any of that info is useful, yay! Otherwise, it's trivia (e.g. for if you get bored memorizing digits of [insert favorite irrational constant here]).
LOWA

Cheese
and spam. (Euggh)

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:By trial and error I found [color=#E4ECEF] and [color=#EBF0F5] are pretty close to invisible (whether spoilered or not) in the traditionally light and dark posts, respectively, when using the other scheme. Haven't checked when in the context of a quote, but that'll probably be another [color=#XXXXXX].

Edit the HTML of a page and you can find the exact #RRGGBB values. It'll require a little hunting, but is much easier than trial and error.
hermaj wrote:No-one. Will. Be. Taking. Cheese's. Spot.
Spoiler:
LE4dGOLEM wrote:Cheese is utterly correct on all fronts.
SecondTalon wrote:That thing that Cheese just said. Do that.
Meaux_Pas wrote:I hereby disagree and declare Cheese to be brilliant.

Token

Postby Token » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:31 pm UTC

Or, if you're me (and if you aren't, bad luck), you have a short program mapped to your F10 key that instantly tells you the RGB color (and x-y coordinates) of whichever pixel your cursor is at. The dark posts are #DCDCE5 and the light ones are #ECECEC.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39 pm UTC

Token wrote:Or, if you're me (and if you aren't, bad luck), you have a short program mapped to your F10 key that instantly tells you the RGB color (and x-y coordinates) of whichever pixel your cursor is at. The dark posts are #DCDCE5 and the light ones are #ECECEC.

Hey, that's useful. Want to share it?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:08 am UTC

xmag will do it, I've got it mapped to one of my keyboard's media buttons... use it all the time.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:24 am UTC

I think you guys are assuming everyone's using the same style, which might not be true.

Token

Postby Token » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:
Token wrote:Or, if you're me (and if you aren't, bad luck), you have a short program mapped to your F10 key that instantly tells you the RGB color (and x-y coordinates) of whichever pixel your cursor is at. The dark posts are #DCDCE5 and the light ones are #ECECEC.

Well, I would, but it's not an .exe. It's a code file that runs through the compiler. I could find out how to actually compile it, but I'm too lazy for that kind of thing.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

What? You mean it's a script? Share the code.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:16 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:I think you guys are assuming everyone's using the same style, which might not be true.
Which is exactly the point of my comment. In the normal scheme (style), I am ready to believe DCDCE5 and ECECEC are perfect matches for the background of posts, but in the other scheme, light and dark are reversed and DCDCE5 and ECECEC don't match the background anymore.
Nimz wrote:It should be noted that there are two schemes now. White inside spoiler tags isn't invisible in the other scheme. By trial and error I found [color=#E4ECEF] and [color=#EBF0F5] are pretty close to invisible (whether spoilered or not) in the traditionally light and dark posts, respectively, when using the other scheme.
LOWA

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Absolutely. It just seemed that people were ignoring your reality and substituting their own. Apologies for confusion.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:18 am UTC

If you don't like spoilers, you could randomly alternate which of the two colors to use, such that the text is partially invisible but illegible in either scheme. But spoiler tags are so much easier. . .

darkmatter

Postby darkmatter » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:19 am UTC

Token wrote:
Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:

Well, I would, but it's not an .exe. It's a code file that runs through the compiler. I could find out how to actually compile it, but I'm too lazy for that kind of thing.

Or, if you have almost any paint program in existence today, you could:

1 alt+printscreen to copy the page
2 paste it into a paint program
3 use the Eyedropper to copy the color for your own use
4 use the color editor to see the RGB Hex values

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Or if you are one of the countless users of Firefox, ColorZilla will tell you the color of any point in a web page, including images.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

Since there are two different styles available for the forum (and potentially more in the future), coloring your text is not a great idea for a spoiler. It might look fine for you, but have no effect for many other people.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

"show all spoilers" bookmarket for firefox:

javascript:(function(){if(!window.$spoil) {var x=document.createElement('STYLE'); x.textContent='.quotecontent>div{display:block!important}'; document.getElementsByTagName('HEAD')[0].appendChild(x); $spoil=x.sheet} else {$spoil.disabled=!$spoil.disabled}})();

Spoilers will not hide while it is in effect. Click again to deactivate.

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Nothing to see here.
Well, there is another way to make text unreadable, but I think there might be some that would object to the widespread use of it.
LOWA

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:13 am UTC

Nimz wrote:Well, there is another way to make text unreadable, but I think there might be some that would object to the widespread use of it.

Not to mention the fact that it (a) doesn't work when quoted, (b) doesn't work for people using subSilver.

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Nimz

Postby Nimz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:09 am UTC

phlip wrote:
Nimz wrote:Well, there is another way to make text unreadable, but I think there might be some that would find the widespread use of it objectionable.

Not to mention the fact that it (a) doesn't work when quoted, (b) doesn't work for people using subSilver.

I was actually alluding to something else in that post - I'm not so dense as to not notice VTMFHodge's post just barely above my own. I am perfectly content with coloured text, and I don't see why anyone wouldn't be. I'm not referring to micro text, either - I had my browser set a minimum font size, so size spoiling is easily vanquished. This is also vanquished by LTB. Final hint: I've (re)worded all of my sentences in this message to (very) obliquely reference the "other" way to make text unreadable, and I'll be keeping tabs on whether anyone knows what I'm talking about (and if so, whether it's safe for widespread use) ... 'nuff said.
LOWA

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

Jul abg jevgr fcbvyre grkg yvxr guvf?

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

Random832 wrote:Jul abg jevgr fcbvyre grkg yvxr guvf?

Now do mathematical equations.

And anyway, there is a spoiler tag. It works
Spoiler:
like this.
Just highlight the text you want spoilered and press the button above the edit window. Its easy. It works. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

Random832

Postby Random832 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:

Now do mathematical equations.

[zngu]\fhz_{v=z}^a k_v = k_z + k_{z+1} + k_{z+2} +\pqbgf+ k_{a-1} + k_a.[/zngu]

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

I just made the strangling motion with my hands.

ehird

Postby ehird » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:59 pm UTC

Nimz wrote:
phlip wrote:
Nimz wrote:Well, there is another way to make text unreadable, but I think there might be some that would find the widespread use of it objectionable.

I was actually alluding to something else in that post - I'm not so dense as to not notice VTMFHodge's post just barely above my own. I am perfectly content with coloured text, and I don't see why anyone wouldn't be. I'm not referring to micro text, either - I had my browser set a minimum font size, so size spoiling is easily vanquished. This is also vanquished by LTB. Final hint: I've (re)worded all of my sentences in this message to (very) obliquely reference the "other" way to make text unreadable, and I'll be keeping tabs on whether anyone knows what I'm talking about (and if so, whether it's safe for widespread use) ... 'nuff said.

Fnord snape kills dumbledore fnord.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:53 pm UTC

I don't have much time... I suspect that the raptors are already circling my house as we speak (FOOL, those large bay windows... you laughed at the warnings, and now where are you...). I... I just wanted to say that resistance is possible, that the unlocked forums can still be bastions of freedom and good sense. This reign of terror... someone must alert Randal... someone must alert The Military. They must be stopped. THEY MUST BE STOPPED.

Oh, and spoiler your solutions please.

Lord Aurora

Postby Lord Aurora » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I miss you jr :(

edit:
Spoiler:
although I have to applaud the LP (and, I'm assuming, Math/Science/etc) forum for keeping sane through the shitshow
Decker wrote:Children! Children! There's no need to fight. You're ALL stupid.

teelo

Postby teelo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:49 pm UTC

Thread should be renamed "spoiler policy" since it isn't new anymore.

dotproduct

Postby dotproduct » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm UTC

teelo wrote:Thread should be renamed "spoiler policy" since it isn't new anymore.

I agree. Very much.

jestingrabbit

Postby jestingrabbit » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 pm UTC

meh.

MasterOfAll
Jack of No Trades

Postby MasterOfAll » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

the once and future spoiler policy? (also, the one *you* you you you should be following. I'm looking at you, you who tend to not bother reading stuff!)

sounds a bit wordy to me . . . I think jestingrabbit has it summed up nicely. Not that my opinion matters, but somehow I felt . . . compelled . . . to post here.

tl;dr - hem

Freddino18

Postby Freddino18 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:46 pm UTC

Twusmkw lzsl osk OSQ lgg wskq lg vwugvw.
Cautiously pessimistic.
Tillian wrote:Holy necro!
Cleverbeans wrote:Being a loser is a permanent condition, this is temporary and will pass with time and treatment.
i am not a robot
RAPTOR BLENDERS!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm UTC

Freddino18 wrote:

Kg ak qgmjk. Lzw hgafl twafy lzsl al'k gtxmkuslwv. Sdlzgmyz, oalz hjsulauw, qgmdwsjf lg jwsv al sfqosq oalzgml emuz wxxgjl. (Sdd lzak vgfw tq zsfv. Myz!)

Freddino18

Postby Freddino18 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:01 pm UTC

Soupspoon wrote:
Freddino18 wrote:

Kg ak qgmjk. Lzw hgafl twafy lzsl al'k gtxmkuslwv. Sdlzgmyz, oalz hjsulauw, qgmdwsjf lg jwsv al sfqosq oalzgml emuz wxxgjl. (Sdd lzak vgfw tq zsfv. Myz!)

Tm extlm b wbwg'm nlx max wxytnem wxvkrimbhg dxr.
Cautiously pessimistic.
Tillian wrote:Holy necro!
Cleverbeans wrote:Being a loser is a permanent condition, this is temporary and will pass with time and treatment.
i am not a robot
RAPTOR BLENDERS!

Soupspoon
You have done something you shouldn't. Or are about to.

Postby Soupspoon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:53 am UTC

<ROT26>I think we're going off topic, as the solving of a spoilered solution to a logic puzzle isn't meant to be a logic puzzle in and of itself. The default key is fine enough, if not overkill.</ROT26>
<TRIPLEROT26>But just to give you a challenge, I'm using a couple of lesser known but increasingly sophisticated encryption keys in this reply.</TRIPLEROT26>

Return to “Logic Puzzles”