Help me stop a alien invasion.

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Tei

Help me stop a alien invasion.

Postby Tei » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 pm UTC

Related to this:

What if...

A city, slighty sci-fi, but not diamond age. Theres a anual aliens (from the film "Alien" and "Aliens" ) invasion from the swarms.
What systems will be needed to protect the civilians, and make the smaller number of casualities. Withouth a frontal address of the problem (extermination of the Aliens).

I think the solution can be to have familiar bunkers. with 2 doors connected, and only one of the doors can open:

Code: Select all

danger!    entrance >=======[ DMZ area ]====[  bunker area ] 

This design is surprising alike a LAN design, with a router computer on the DMZ area.

update:
You can vote here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16132
Last edited by Tei on Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SimonM

Re: Help me stop a alien invasion.

Postby SimonM » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:30 pm UTC

To be honest, our best chance of survival would be submission. If they are attacking in swarms and we are reduced to hiding, we're fairly screwed anyway
mosc wrote:How did you LEARN, exactly, to suck?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:25 pm UTC

Questions:
  1. How well do we know their attack time? Is it random, but once a year? On Christmas Eve? We are only given a week of warning?
  2. How efficient are the aliens at killing? If we don't defend ourselves do we all die? 50%? 2%? 0.05%?
  3. How well do people work together in this theoretical world? Are people thinking every man for himself? Think the government should be solving the problem? Willing to sacrifice certain comforts to live in a more secure world?
  4. What is needed to stop the aliens? A sturdy wooden door? Concrete walls with sealed steel? Blast doors?

DrStalker

Postby DrStalker » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

Alien costumes. We dress up like them, and they ignore us!

Otherwise it's hard to defend against opponents that posses blood that can dissolve anything. All we can do is slow them down.
There are two types of people in the world: 1) those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:42 pm UTC

A gigantic trench around the city with shear walls and a built in incinerator. Last time I checked the Aliens didn't have helicopters.

Also, some RPG armed sentinels on the city walls to ward off any Aliens who try to be clever and cross the trench by sneaky means.

Tei

Postby Tei » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:53 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:A gigantic trench around the city with shear walls and a built in incinerator. Last time I checked the Aliens didn't have helicopters.

Also, some RPG armed sentinels on the city walls to ward off any Aliens who try to be clever and cross the trench by sneaky means.

But a gigantic burning trench is not a bad idea.

You idea seems strong from a tecnical and social point. And may also work with zombies, too, or other unintelligent hordes. But I dont really like it, because:

A single error (like a underground tunnel, or something), and bam, all your civilians dead.

Your design is like one firewall, and nothing more, with hordes of unintelligent users inside.

Tei

Postby Tei » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:04 pm UTC

[*]How well do we know their attack time? Is it random, but once a year? On Christmas Eve? We are only given a week of warning?

Annual. The 13 of February. The invasion will be 8 weeks long. And aliens will search for food.

[*]How efficient are the aliens at killing? If we don't defend ourselves do we all die? 50%? 2%? 0.05%?

Like in Alien, the film. 100%. A single alien inside your shelter, and everybody is dead.

[*]How well do people work together in this theoretical world? Are people thinking every man for himself? Think the government should be solving the problem? Willing to sacrifice certain comforts to live in a more secure world?

People lie, betray, act stupid. Like in real life. The government can be shaped to whatever you need. Willing to sacrifice everything, but technology.

[*]What is needed to stop the aliens? A sturdy wooden door? Concrete walls with sealed steel? Blast doors?

A steel door is enough to stop a single alien. A big steel door can be needed to stop more than one. But acid can destroy the door, if you kill one near the door. The aliens aren't not smart enough to kill himself themselves.

You can kill an alien with a rifle, or damage it with fire. But can survive on radioactive areas, and void of space.

NerfTW

Postby NerfTW » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:59 pm UTC

If it's a scheduled attack at the same time every year, we can use the fortification method, giant pit, filled with Napalm or something else that can burn long and hot, plus snipers and gun turrents all along the walls.

You don't even need to make it a liveable city. You can just take all food supplies into the shelter every year in January, and wait out the attack before returning to the cities.

Oh, are we supposed to be saving the entire planet? Because remote locations are screwed in this scenario, unless they build thier own little forts.

Tei

Postby Tei » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:07 am UTC

NerfTW wrote:If it's a scheduled attack at the same time every year, we can use the fortification method, giant pit, filled with Napalm or something else that can burn long and hot, plus snipers and gun turrents all along the walls.

Is again a good idea. But.. how much time can fire burn? how expensive is to have that?
Also aliens seems good at jump and wall-walk.

You don't even need to make it a liveable city. You can just take all food supplies into the shelter every year in January, and wait out the attack before returning to the cities.

Oh, are we supposed to be saving the entire planet? Because remote locations are screwed in this scenario, unless they build thier own little forts.

Nice idea. People can move from the city to a temporal remote location (space?, flyiing?).
Anyway can be a expensive one.

no-genius
Seemed like a good idea at the time

Postby no-genius » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

I think mass migration to another planet? Shit, just keep going. Why stay there, if they come every year?
I don't sing, I just shout. All. On. One. Note.
Official ironmen you are free, champions officially

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:Why? It does nothing to address dance music's core problem: the fact that it sucks.

freddyfish

Postby freddyfish » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm UTC

cant we build a huge steel wall around the cities *like the locks around venice* that can be put up at times of invasion. Then the aliens cant get in and we live!!!!

NerfTW

Postby NerfTW » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

My idea assumes a chasm wider than the aliens can jump, and unlimited funds.

I assume Napalm or other such agents are worthless as fuel sources, so you might as well burn them. Maybe a massive fuel conservation program during the rest of the year? I'd think an alien attack would be a good method to get people to open thier wallets.

wannabe

Postby wannabe » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

Ladybugs...

Not literally. But we make friends with something else in the universe that loves to eat aliens and considers their acid blood a delicacy. Maybe we genetically alter mosquitoes that would make being here so annoying that they find another planet to have their little annual picnic. They would only have a one day life span and not be able to breed.
Disclaimer: I am not a scientist.

TheSwaminator

Postby TheSwaminator » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:02 am UTC

Guys, trenches won't work, because when they come, they could come anywhere.
(they can land anywhere, right?)

First, build forts that have thousands of layer, to protect as many humans as possible.
Put food inside of it. (Enough for 12 weeks for 120% of the population)

Next make misquito or birdlike creatures that (In this order, if you can't do it all)
#1 Can be programmed to die automatically after 11 weeks (3 extra weeks in case of an early start, or something)
#2 Likes to eat, kill Aliens
#3 Can survive and gain energy from either CO2, or H20
#4 is immune to the acid
#5 won't kill humans
#6 Gets energy from killing/eating aliens
#7 Make some of them controlable by humans in the shelters, to attack them using our best power, intelligence.
#7 If you get this far, then make them smart enough that, instead of dying every year, they will go into huge chambers and turn themselves off there after the assault. Make them restartable. That way, you can reuse them.

Whatelse?
We need ways of protecting animals.

Another important question is, will they only go for humans?
If so, then we can abandon our cities and crops, and they will them them like they found them.
That would also be good because the animals would stay alive. (Domestic animals would be given enough food to survive.

Just to remind you guys, here are a few things.
#1 If these aliens survived enough to attack us, (natural selection(which is a dumb name for a concept by the way)) then they are probably intelligent.
They are not going to come and leave every year at a certain time!
They will come randomly.
And when they do, they will destroy our crops and our cities.
Our animals too.
most likely, they will scare us into the holes, destroy our cities and crops, and leave immediately.
They will do this until we realize what they are doing.

Even if I saw the guy who programmed the alien's attack to only happen at certain times and in certain ways, I would not trust it. I would be ready all year round.
I would have the mosquitos super fast and already made.
I would have satelites watching for the aliens at every turn.

If I knew that they had no free will (and hence none of them could be innocent aliens being forced along) then I would nuke their ships from so far away that you wouldn't be able to see it from Earth.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:32 am UTC

Weird Al wrote:Our atom bombs were just no use!

Tei

Postby Tei » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:24 am UTC

As any idea that kill aliens. Is too random to me. Ladybugs may kill aliens *anywhere*, so the acid will destruct random stuff, maybe the shelter cover, entrance, the powestations. etc.

But is a nice idea, much better than these about clones of a serial killer some people want to post.

ninnies

Postby ninnies » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:30 pm UTC

Since the people in virtual world are like us and lie, betray and act stupid. The method of people living within forts during the invasion would not work very well as within a couple of weeks the population is going to be at war with themselves.

Anyway, my solution: some behavior changing parasite that only infects the aliens and makes the aliens leave the planet. :wink:

i like pi

Postby i like pi » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:05 pm UTC

Here is my idea: we make a zombie/raptor army and kill the aliens. I am not saying we intentionally make zombies or raptors, just saying that if we screw up and end up with raptors/zombies, we send them up to kill the aliens.
Or something to that effect. Hell, I don't know.

Possumdude9

Postby Possumdude9 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:56 am UTC

What kind of landing pattern do they follow? Is it possible that they will simply land right on top of any fortified positions we set up?

BaldAdonis

Postby BaldAdonis » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:41 pm UTC

This sounds like the kind of problem you could solve with Desktop Tower Defense strategies. Play that game for a bit, and then you'll know that the best (most enjoyable?) solution is turrets, as they can stop a wide range of alien lifeforms. I've even seen evidence that they can keep the threat at bay for 100 years, at which point you'd be dead anyways, so it wouldn't be your problem anymore.

nm_the_niceguy

Postby nm_the_niceguy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:31 pm UTC

The only true solution to this problem is to go underground. Everyone has a deep bunker, and we wait the 8 weeks out. I'm betting that these aliens can't dig us all up in that time. In the between times, we procreate like crazy to replenish our numbers.

Also some kind of holographic distractions might be useful. Say the alien gets uncomfortably close to your bunker. One flip of a switch and you can have the alien distracted for at least a little while chasing a pre-recorded picture of you screaming and running. I'm sure by then we will have perfected smell-o-vision technology and your holograph could even smell like a delicious meat snack!

Anpheus
I can't get any worse, can I?

Postby Anpheus » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:32 am UTC

DrStalker wrote:Alien costumes. We dress up like them, and they ignore us!

Otherwise it's hard to defend against opponents that posses blood that can dissolve anything. All we can do is slow them down.

We'll put enough stuff between them and us that they will run out of blood before they reach us.
Spoiler:

/###\_________/###\
  |#################|
  \#################/
   |##┌         ┐##|
   |##  (¯`v´¯)  ##|
   |##  `\ ♥ /´  ##|
   |##   `\¸/´   ##|
   |##└         ┘##|
  /#################\
  |#################|
  \###/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\###/

theonlyjett

Postby theonlyjett » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:56 am UTC

Well now, this is my first post on these forums. Leave it to a topic like this to be what finally drags my lazy self to register finally.

This is not too much unlike the zombie apocalypse scenario. For awhile, I lived in Minneapolis, MN. I always thought that it would be an awesome place to hole up in. Yes, I realize that under normal circumstances, getting out of the city would probably be your priority, but the buildings in Minneapolis are connected by the skyway. The skyway is made up of second story, enclosed walkways connecting most of the downtown buildings. I always figured if you demolished the stairways and other obvious accesses to the second stories, then you could last quite a while in the buildings with stores, apartments, and office space (the communications and computers in the offices may be useful). If individual buildings became infested, they could be cut off by demolishing the skyway that connects them. Would it last indefinitely? No, not even close, but it's a start. The idea is to use it to stage an offensive action from here.

But we're talking about aliens. Aliens are arguably smarter than zombies. Faster and stronger as well. The skyways may need to be 3 or more stories up to prevent jumpers. The outside walls of the building need to be slick and not reach below the skyways to prevent climbing. So basically slippery connected skyscrapers on stilts. The buildings themselves need to be constructed with reinforced steel "firewalls" to prevent the fast spread of the infestation and allow as much time for evacuation as possible. Then the skyways would be dropped to seal the infected building off.

Sniping, with both rifles and rocket launchers, would be an important part of this. Napalm would be useful as well.

You could argue that other things are better, maybe underground would be better. I might point out, though, that there are no huge constructions currently underground that could be used for this. Well, not civilian installations, anyhow.

Any way you look at it, the future of humanity rests, not in avoiding this evil, but in eradicating it. Even if it takes generations, a proactive attempt (however improbable) to wipe all the aliens from the face of the earth will be all that will prevent our eventual extinction. Nuking known nesting areas and finding a way to easily erect more stilted fortresses for expansion would be key points in this offensive.

I could flesh this out more, and come up with some other ideas, but this is long enough for now, I think.

GiantSnowman

Postby GiantSnowman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

Why not call in the Predators? Or better, design combat exo-skeletons for humans that would make a wrestling match with an Alien an even fight!

Armed men on layers of steel and stone surrounding defenceless civilians only work until that one mistake with the door controls. And since the war can eventually only be won aggresively, we'll need every human ready to fight.

NaYoN

Postby NaYoN » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Nanomachines a la Michael Crichton's Prey. Nuff said.

Blubb3r3ng3l

Postby Blubb3r3ng3l » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:10 am UTC

metal storm. That is all.
Let us a little permit Nature to take her own way; she understands Her own affairs better than we ~ Montaigne
embarrass the hell out of me
The only emotion ducks can feel is hate. -__Kit

Mr. Timms

Postby Mr. Timms » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:35 pm UTC

Tanks, missiles, aircraft, bombs, bio weapons (including nerve gases and poisons), lasers, tasers, masers(is that a weapon?), robots, unmanned aircraft, atomic bombs, hydrogen bombs, cobalt-60, maybe even genetically engineer a virus that's harmless to humans, but eats the aliens' body tissue. Hit 'em with everything you've got, and keep the people under ground and concrete and steel.
Decker wrote:
nbonaparte wrote:You'll learn this around here. Everyone's pretty damn blunt.
I am not! Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take a huge shit.

Darkling

Postby Darkling » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:36 am UTC

I have a feeling the final solution will involve liquid nitrogen (instead of fire), and lots of steel. Perhaps a giant insulated flask filled with people, floating in a sea of LN.

Oh, and probably a lot of gunz'n'bombz to make the people feel better.

Buttons

Postby Buttons » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

This thread has been on and off the top page of this forum for half a year now, and I still find myself clicking it to see if anyone found R(5,5) yet. Dammit.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Tue May 20, 2008 2:34 pm UTC

If the aliens are that powerful and are basically "seek and kill" machines (meaning they can find us anywhere) then hiding isn't such a good strategy.
Two possibilities exist:

1. The aliens have only 1 landing ship landing during the invasion.

If there is only one ship, then we find out where they are landing, go there on 2.13, and use the timeless StarCraft strategy - kill them as they drop. Hopefully the landing site isn't too close to centers of economy, but it doesn't really matter, as we'll all die anyway. They probably can't get their WHOLE army there instantly, so we'll just cover the place in nukes, tanks, guns, lasers, napalm, every effing thing we can find and just kill those aliens. We'll deal with the giant hole left by their blood later.

2. There are mass landings all over the world.

The first strategy may or may not work here, depending on how many aliens there are. If it comes down to this, and if we know about it beforehand, I think the best idea is to develop some kind of anti-acid armor and fight them. We can't avoid them if they kill us regardless. If we can't develop anti-acid armor, then aircraft and ships are our best hope. We'll move the humans to the continent with the least aliens, kill those and hopefully take minimal damage to the landscape. Then we'll just nuke rush the other continents and mass eradicate the aliens, Messy, but it does the job.

If that doesn't appeal to you, giant ship bunkers might not be a bad idea. Can aliens swim?
Spoiler:

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Wed May 21, 2008 4:52 am UTC

I like the idea of underground bunkers. If the only way to the human race is reinforced by enough steel and about a mile drop there is no way the aliens are getting in.

Alternately use a high place that the aliens cant get to. A shear cliff with a cave in the side high enough up couldn't be reached. This was used by certain native American tribes long ago. With our technology today we could make something even better. In this case we do not want all the guns and bombs as that could spill their blood and possibly ruin our chance of survival. Liquid nitrogen or cold based weapons might be a way around the blood problem.

Another thought is to create a system where they can smell us be not reach us. That is, a vent that allows them to catch our scent is placed in the area of the bunker where everyone lives. The entrance however is nowhere near that area. The actual entrance is remote, far away from cities and heavily reinforced. In this strategy it is vital that the vent allowing our scent to reach the aliens cannot be breached. perhaps 30 or so meters of concrete with a small hole running through it.
Why put off till today what you could just as easily get done tomorrow?

I can mathematically prove that 1 equals 0!.

Parts a-x in my plan weren't that important anyways.

kriel

Postby kriel » Thu May 22, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Alright. I'm going to generalize this slightly, just to make it abit more fun.

There are aliens. Lots of them. They are here, and they will keep coming. We can't stop them at their source.
They aren't in our cities. We have time to set up defenses. We have unlimited resources.

That said, my first thought is to gather the entire population into dense areas. Central point of failure, yes, but central point of defense as well. We'll assume that we can sustain whatever society we decide to set up in these city walls.

Knowledge from past Alien movies:
They are intelligent. They are fast. They are strong.
They can be harmed by general munitions. Doing so may not be in your best interest (see: acid blood) but it is possible.
They can be harmed by extreme temperatures.
They can swim. They can jump, far. They can climb, extremely well.

Alright, we've got all the hoomans stuck in a big city. We need a wall. I would suggest a as-close-to-vertical, relatively slick wall. Possibly even slant it outwards, so they're climbing up a negative incline. See Diagram for example.

That's an alien ->   ..-   \   <- That's a wall.

Personally, I think the buildings-on-stilts would be even better, but a lack of materials may make it really hard to do. (Not to mention, the aliens may get smart enough to start knocking out the stilts.)

If we're going way overboard, make a bowl out of said slick wall material, and pour enough dirt in to have sustainable agriculture. Aliens can't fly, and with the bowl, they can't dig their way in.

Now, as for defenses. Turrets would be awesome. We know they show up on motion scanners, so all we have to do is keep the turrets below the edge of the wall, on the outside, so if anything moves, they kill it. (Civilians don't get to go outside... no reason to, anyway.)

Snipers are a second line of defense.

... Boss aggro. I'll continue when I get home X.x Continuing...

Now, as for the 'Airlock' design you posted up above (I think it really is more like an airlock than a DMZ.) It would be fairly effective for isolated instances, outside of the main city. Obviously, facehuggers aren't gonna get through that door alive (Unless they impregnate somebody on the outside, and if you're stupid enough to bring them back in after they're impregnated, it's your own damn fault.) As for soldiers, you better make sure you've got damn good doors.

This is the best defensive strategy I can come up with that seems fairly reasonable. (Well, except the bowl part, but that was just for fun.) The next step would probably be to just enclose the city-level areas with domes, but then you're almost at the level of making biospheres (With foot-thick steel walls, as opposed to tinfoil protecting you from the atmosphere... but hey.)

... Somebody wanna play the aliens, and figure out what's wrong with this defense so far?

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Fri May 23, 2008 4:00 am UTC

Supposing I have infinite aliens, and I'm the Overmind (or Cerebrate), I would just throw my limitless Zerglings at you until you're covered in them. That's the problem with ground-based defenses - they get overrun.

Supposing that I can't overrun you, I would just lay seige to your base. Camp around, allow nothing in or out. Eventually, with billions of people in one city you're going to run out of water. And soil doesn't last forever either, eventually it's going to run out of nutrients.

If I was actually very intelligent, I'd just swarm your wall, let my units die, and their blood will melt through the wall. gg no re.
Spoiler:

kriel

Postby kriel » Fri May 23, 2008 12:20 pm UTC

Fin Archangel wrote:Supposing I have infinite aliens, and I'm the Overmind (or Cerebrate), I would just throw my limitless Zerglings at you until you're covered in them. That's the problem with ground-based defenses - they get overrun.

True enough. Though, it would take quite awhile. I would assume the bowl would be at least a foot or three thick, and it's not like I'm putting six year olds up on the edge with the sniper rifles. A lot of the blood would be spilled right at the edge of sniper/turret range.

Also, the city would be as self-sufficient as possible. Seige is going to last for a long while. Possibly even longer, if we manage to reattain airflight while we're in there. (Which would make interesting defensive capabilities as well, we could extend our perimeter by flying over with snipers.)

But yes, I think you're right. Given a world of infinite enemies, sooner or later you are gonna die.

(Subnote: I think the aliens are more a zergling/hydralisk hybrid. A bit of ultra thrown in there for the tough hide, as well.)

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Sat May 24, 2008 1:59 am UTC

True enough. I think the best way to deal is just to turtle in and send some stuff in Ender's Game style. They can't be LIMITLESS. Unless they spawn from black holes or something :P

Consider building an underground base like this:

o - rock
= - door

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooo............................oooo
oo............................ooooo
oo oooooooooooooooooo oooo
oo=oooooooooooooooooo=ooooo
o.................................. o

they can't bleed on your doors now ;)

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Mon May 26, 2008 4:45 am UTC

Obviously we need to make an alliance with the Protoss and get Tassadar to do that thing with the crystals. :D

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 am UTC

:D

Lets get mass archons too. MASS ARCHONS FTW!
Spoiler:

eddiekizer

Postby eddiekizer » Tue May 27, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Really, money is no object. I'd give everything I own to prevent from getting killed by bloodthirsty aliens. Besides, everyone will work together so they don't get killed. The only real limiting factor is our natural resources (i.e., maybe we have to tear down half of the world's navy to provide steel for blast doors).

As for a solution, everybody hide underground in isolated missile silos. The aliens can't get to all of them, and if they do, set up a long, narrow corridor with lots of people with machine guns (even better, shotguns), so when the aliens come, we just blow 'em to bits.
I plugged a Mac into a cat,
And plugged a PC into a dog.
Then the penguin that runs on Linux
Came and ate them.

Fin Archangel

Postby Fin Archangel » Wed May 28, 2008 2:14 pm UTC

Hmmmm...
Remember that giant comet discussion?
We should hide out in nuclear submarines.
Spoiler:

kriel

Postby kriel » Wed May 28, 2008 2:23 pm UTC

That might actually work... The submarine thing, I mean.

...Anyone remember if in the movie, they showed anything about the effects of the acid-blood in water?

... Though. I can see food being an issue. A rather dangerous issue, considering we'd have to leave the sub on it's own while we foraged. (Imagine if a facehugger got in the hatch :shock: )

Return to “Logic Puzzles”