Re: Puzzle for exceptional intelligence

Postby Moonbeam » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:20 am UTC

*Scratches head* :? .

Iv

Postby Iv » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:28 am UTC

Probably a bad solution...

Spoiler:
... but the problem is bad also. Dismissing the picture, QPONM... is the reverse of alphabetical order. I would consider LKJ to be a correct answer, though it is probably not what the author had in mind.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:29 am UTC

Spoiler:
LMAO, er, I mean, LKJ

Damn, scooped. Iv, I'm quite sure this answer is correct, despite your doubts.
Spoiler:
The picture is a red herring, meant to distract from the obvious sequence.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Sinta

Postby Sinta » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
It's the alphabet backwards. The next 3 items in sequence are: LKJ
"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." -- Albert Einstein

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:37 am UTC

That's three answers in a row that are all the same. I'd say that's the answer.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

JamesCFraser

Postby JamesCFraser » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

:P How is that for exceptional intelligence? I know that I'm far from exceptionally intelligent and I got it...

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:34 am UTC

Spoiler:
The title was just another ploy to get people to overlook the obvious and spend time overthinking it.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

toad2000

Postby toad2000 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:35 am UTC

Spoiler:
I either don't like that answer, or don't like the question. It directly says to use the image below. Ignoring the image altogether seems like it isn't solving the problem.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:55 am UTC

Spoiler:
if not the obvious sequence, I get J, G, K, F, L, C, D, E, B, I, H, A as the continuation of the series.

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

Spoiler:
In one way,

The next three letters in the sequence are KBI.

Line segment M is parallel to line segment Q;
Line segment K is parallel to line segment P;
Line segment B is parallel to line segment O;
Line segment I is parallel to line segment N.

Next in sequence is H, whereupon it appears the sequence ends.

Something might be made out of the fact that some of the lines do not intersect each other, for instance line segment L only intersects one other line segment, so if Q is considered the start and L the end, and QPONM the first segments on a non-retread path ... Well, I'm going to lunch, and will work on this later.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

toad2000 wrote:
Spoiler:
I either don't like that answer, or don't like the question. It directly says to use the image below. Ignoring the image altogether seems like it isn't solving the problem.

Spoiler:
The solution to these puzzles is always to find the simplest rule that generates the sequence so far, and then continue that rule. The simplest rule is obviously "say the alphabet backwards," so that is the correct solution. The cleverness is that the puzzle uses such a blindingly simple rule that you would get it immediately, and then adds the image and the title to get people who think they are smart to overlook the obvious. Basically it's a way of saying, "You think you're so smart? Then why did it take you so long to notice that the sequence was just the alphabet backwards?"

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
toad2000 wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
The solution to these puzzles is always to find the simplest rule that generates the sequence so far, and then continue that rule. The simplest rule is obviously "say the alphabet backwards," so that is the correct solution. The cleverness is that the puzzle uses such a blindingly simple rule that you would get it immediately, and then adds the image and the title to get people who think they are smart to overlook the obvious. Basically it's a way of saying, "You think you're so smart? Then why did it take you so long to notice that the sequence was just the alphabet backwards?"

http://xkcd.com/169/

Thousand

Postby Thousand » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

I got it in a minute or two.

Spoiler:
To be fair, I feel rather cheated, and wholeheartedly agree with the above posted comic :D Seriously, it'd be a lot better if it neglected to say to use the image below, since at least you'd be punished for jumping to conclusions, rather than for being sensible.

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:54 pm UTC

The Finn wrote:
Spoiler:
In one way,

The next three letters in the sequence are KBI.

Line segment M is parallel to line segment Q;
Line segment K is parallel to line segment P;
Line segment B is parallel to line segment O;
Line segment I is parallel to line segment N.

Next in sequence is H, whereupon it appears the sequence ends given the window we have of the pattern.

Something might be made out of the fact that some of the lines do not intersect each other, for instance line segment L only intersects one other line segment, so if Q is considered the start and L the end, and QPONM the first segments on a non-retread path ... Well, I'm going to lunch, and will work on this later.

Spoiler:
It's not a non-retread path. H only intersects B and O, and O was already used for Q>P>O>N>M. I only intersects Q and F, and Q was already used.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:09 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Argh, I agree with the posted comic, The Finn, Thousand, and toad2000 (that is, if the answer is LKJ). This would be like giving you a system of ten equations with only two unknowns amongst them, and saying "find the unknowns and leave out none of the given equations in your solution." Except it's less blatantly stupid than that because, as we don't for sure know the intended answer, the sequence could very well be based on an only-slightly-arbitrary rule that actually does use the picture.

Maybe the puzzlemaker decided that it was a mark of intelligence to be able to determine when someone is BSing you, and thusly this showed up in an intelligence contest?
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

I do not mean to sound like a dick, but I got that one pretty quick
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

The Finn

Postby The Finn » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
http://xkcd.com/169/ - because using what you were taught in first grade about the order of the Roman alphabet is NOT the same as using the picture below. The alphabetical order, or reverse alphabetical order, of the symbols listed are contingent facts that have nothing to do with any evident system or relationship of the symbols as put forth in the picture. You use the picture; Failure to use the picture /and only what is in the picture/, then claiming that it's a reverse-alphabetic order by disregarding the picture, is tantamount to miscommunicating and then being smug about it.

Spoiler:
I found a relationship between several of the symbols - paralellism - and a repeating pattern. It's one possible solution and the best to-date. Disregarding the instructions: Not an option.

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 am UTC

Spoiler:
Just found this randomly, and it reminded me of this thread so far: 42!
Kabann wrote:Aw hell, as far as I'm concerned the world started in late 1967. Everything else is just semantics and busy-work.

Ashbash

Postby Ashbash » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:58 pm UTC

Regarding the call for 169ing: Who knows? Are they actually going to post a solution? I lean towards the "use this picture"="use this picture" camp. If we are to use the picture:

Spoiler:
Adding the alph value i.e a=1, b=2, c=3 etc to the number of other lines it crosses gives a sequence that works.

But I dunno, the simple one may be the obvious one.

More data!

schmiggen

Postby schmiggen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Picture deactivated!? I was going to go back and see if I could actually solve it using the picture :P Did anyone save the picture?

TimM

Postby TimM » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:10 am UTC

Bit of a latecomer but based on the answers above I think I re-found the image on the same site at http://www.badongo.com/pic/3123543. A note at the bottom claims that LKJ isn't right, but is written by someone who doesn't know what the expected answer is.
Probably a coincidence but the QPONM all have even numbers of intersections. So do KIHD. The trouble is if you said 'KIH' then you'd be combining two rules (descending alphabetic order, even number of intersections) and that's a bit too Calvinball.
Just to twist the fairness discussion up a notch, the text at the top of the image says 'use the image below'. I reckon you could argue that the sequence QPONM??? is part of 'the image below', and the instruction doesn't say to use the whole image.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”