I dare you to solve this.

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Arkohn

I dare you to solve this.

Postby Arkohn » Sun May 20, 2007 5:24 pm UTC

debuggingRL

Postby debuggingRL » Sun May 20, 2007 8:36 pm UTC

Good puzzle, took about an hour to solve.

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun May 20, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

I did it with a lot of help (But no cheating) from someone much smarter than I.

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun May 20, 2007 9:41 pm UTC

Yeah, good puzzle. I could deduce most of it, but at the end I had to resort to guesswork.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Token

Postby Token » Sun May 20, 2007 10:11 pm UTC

I hate you for wasting my valuable revision time with useless yet fascinating quizzes.

skeptical scientist wrote:Yeah, good puzzle. I could deduce most of it, but at the end I had to resort to guesswork.

Really? I don't think I ever had to guess... my faith in humanity just dropped a little.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun May 20, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

Well, at one point I had one question where I figured one answer was extremely unlikely, because it would put a very strict constraint on solving the rest of the puzzle without seeming possible, but I didn't actually prove it, and then I got down to the last three questions, and I just tried various combinations until one worked.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun May 20, 2007 11:15 pm UTC

I dare you to solve this:
http://www.drunkmenworkhere.org/129

Arkohn

Postby Arkohn » Sun May 20, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure that isn't possible, and it's just one of those things you try for 1000000 hours and then go, "Oh shit, I just wasted X hours."

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Mon May 21, 2007 12:14 am UTC

Spoiler:
Yeah, the matrix is actually randomly generated so that no matter how you choose 5 numbers in different rows and columns, the sum of those 5 numbers will be the same, and they rig it so the sum is always something like 97. You can get a good hint that it's impossible by looking at the high scores.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon May 21, 2007 2:29 pm UTC

I suggest that anyone who enjoys puzzles try the puzzle the OP posted. It's really entertaining.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon May 21, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

I did the OP's puzzle about 10 years ago, and it took me a while. But when I did it this time, I was able to breeze through it. Can anyone figure out why?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm UTC

The hard part is wrapping your head around the logic required, not executing that logic. You've already wrapped your head around the logic once and the brain is good at repeating things.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon May 21, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

No, it's a little less obvious about that, and it has to do with this specific quiz, not puzzles like it in general.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon May 21, 2007 6:37 pm UTC

Shrug. Maybe a part of you remembers this particular puzzle. First of the type you've ever solved maybe.

Hix

Postby Hix » Mon May 21, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:I did the OP's puzzle about 10 years ago, and it took me a while. But when I did it this time, I was able to breeze through it. Can anyone figure out why?
I had a similar experience; I'd solved this puzzle previously (about 5 years ago) and it took quite a long time, even though I was working with a friend and we each contributed equally toward finding the solution. Doing it again earlier this afternoon, I breezed through it, although I am confident that I had no specific knowledge (whether it be conscious or subconscious) of the answers nor even any recollection of the questions themselves (such as which types of questions would turn out to be most pivotal toward discovering the solution). Upon reflection, I identify two factors as possibly contributing to being fast the second time around.

The first factor is what I would tend to classify as random/coincidence/luck. Basically, this time around, I found myself using one particular method of reasoning quite a bit (possible spoiler):
Spoiler:
Each question, of course, has exactly one correct answer. This is an important aspect of the puzzle, but it can be frustrating (and unproductive) if you fixate on this fact, insisting on always working specifically toward trying to determine which of the 5 answers is the correct one. Instead, I found it quite useful to make particular note of the fact that at least one of the possible answers to each question must be true, and seeing what I could decude from that simple fact.
This method happened to be quite effective for this particular puzzle, and I just happened to use it a lot. As coincidence would have it, I probably didn't use that method much last time (although I was quite capable of recognizing it as a valid line of reasoning). Given another instance of the same type of puzzle, this method may very well be among the least productive.

The other factor which would tend to allow me to be faster this time around would be a sort of subconsious meta-reasoning. I know that the puzzle has a solution, and I know that it took a long time to solve the first time. Perhaps from these facts I subconsiously reasoned that I would likely solve it quicker by attempting lines of reasoning that went against my instincts. For example, perhaps I was subconsiously thinking things like "Oh, that's just the sort of thing I probably tried doing last time; remember how long it took? Try something else!"

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed May 23, 2007 4:50 pm UTC

Well, I guess my question was kind of obscure. I don't think anyone'll get it so I'll just say it: The reason I'm now able to do this puzzle really quickly is:

Spoiler:
I have the answers memorized. This is not as silly as it sounds. The only reason I was able to memorize them is because they spell a sentence. The person who made it says it was a clue that's supposed to lead to the movie "Fatal Attraction".

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Wed May 23, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

Re: Cosmo:
Spoiler:
Oh, I didn't realize it was a trivia question and I only saw the sentence after reading solution threads on it after I'd already responded with logical reasons you would be more adept at the puzzle the second time around.

makie_o

Postby makie_o » Fri May 25, 2007 6:16 pm UTC

I solved it without guessing. I couldn't say how long it took because I went to eat lunch in the middle.

JoshuaZ

Re: I dare you to solve this.

Postby JoshuaZ » Sun May 27, 2007 4:43 am UTC

Arkohn wrote:http://www.drunkmenworkhere.org/170

There's a very nice little property the final solution has which makes it further self-referrential. If you know what the property is it makes solving it much easier.

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun May 27, 2007 5:07 am UTC

JoshuaZ wrote:

There's a very nice little property the final solution has which makes it further self-referrential. If you know what the property is it makes solving it much easier.

If you're referring to the property cosmo pointed out, I don't see how that's self-referential...?

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Sun May 27, 2007 1:50 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
JoshuaZ wrote:

If you're referring to the property cosmo pointed out, I don't see how that's self-referential...?

No. I didn't even know about that property, there's something else.
Answer:
Spoiler:
No question has an answer of "C" .

skeptical scientist

Postby skeptical scientist » Sun May 27, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

JoshuaZ wrote:No. I didn't even know about that property, there's something else.

I still don't see what's self-referential about that - it's certainly an unexpected property of the solution, but not one which the test itself references in any way I noticed, and not one which embodies some property of the test.

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
JoshuaZ wrote:No. I didn't even know about that property, there's something else.

I still don't see what's self-referential about that - it's certainly an unexpected property of the solution, but not one which the test itself references in any way I noticed, and not one which embodies some property of the test.

At least in the United States there is a cliche about when in doubt answering "C" and before they used computers to randomly assign answer numbers many test types actually had disproportionate quantities of answers that were that letter. So it is making fun of standardized test cliches in general.

Drostie

Postby Drostie » Tue May 29, 2007 10:06 am UTC

I did it in 1 h, 45 m. Skep, it doesn't require any guesswork.

Mortomes

Postby Mortomes » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:15 am UTC

Took me about an hour, a pen and some paper to solve, no guessing.

xooll

Postby xooll » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:14 am UTC

Solved it without guessing... perhaps an hour? hour and a half? didn't measure.

Also failed to notice all the neat properties people are now pointing out.
So, I got tired of the fact that the appearance of my band name in my signature made my posts on this forum the dominant result when googling for my music. Anyway, if you think I might happen to be a good musician, you can test this theory here.

legato

Postby legato » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:13 pm UTC

That was a good one thanks!

Took me about an hour with no guessing. I did make a mistake but thankfully spotted it pretty quickly!

Spoiler:
I had D for question 8 as I knew there were 7 other questions with A or E, but forgot that if 8 could be E as that would increase the vowels...
I'm not a troll, I'm just an idiot

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:17 pm UTC

Great puzzle. It was a lot easier once I printed it out and could make If/Then notes and cross out stuff as I eliminated. Site bookmarked for future time wasting.

Blades

Postby Blades » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:01 am UTC

74 minutes

thedancecmmndr

Postby thedancecmmndr » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:07 pm UTC

Five minutes, for me
Quite simple, if one has smarts
or the answer key :D

just kidding, but that was quite fun.

b4k4ni04

Postby b4k4ni04 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:40 am UTC

oh goodness, I'll have to try this sometime I should not be studying for my differential equations final. ... and an *arghfist* @ whoever posted that matrix game. *shakes head*.. ... anyways. back to studying for me >>;.

dumbclown

Postby dumbclown » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Took me forever. Made a mistake. Spent hours trying to find it instead of just starting again.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:32 pm UTC

I started off poorly too. I started by making an assumed answer for all of them and figured the I could just make cyclical revisions until it was solved.

Much easier to print and cross out the wrong answers.

apeman5291

Postby apeman5291 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

the first puzzle is kind of like this one:
http://math.cofc.edu/MATHMEET/truth-sprint.pdf

aguacate

Postby aguacate » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:50 pm UTC

apeman5291 wrote:the first puzzle is kind of like this one:
http://math.cofc.edu/MATHMEET/truth-sprint.pdf

What tools were you allowed to use? I'll admit to using a list of the primes and a prime factor program.

Spoiler:
Part I:
2, 3, 8, 9

Part II:
R = {2893, 3289, 3982, 8239, 9328, 9823}

Fiddly

Postby Fiddly » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:41 am UTC

http://www.drunkmenworkhere.org/129

As most people already figured out, this is generally unsolvable. I can't rigorously prove that it never has a feasible solution, but I ran a few of the matrices through an assignment problem solver, and for a given matrix, any choice will yield the exact same number (the maximum and minimum possible values are equal). All the matrices that yield the same number can be gotten by performing row or column swaps on another matrix that yields the number. Maybe there's an instance that adds up to 100, but I'd doubt it.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

Looks like it does cap out at 99.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Fiddly

Postby Fiddly » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:52 pm UTC

Some of the matrices always add up to 98 and also 97.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Without looking at it, I'm guessing that the matrix is an addition table. You'll always get the same sum from such a matrix: the sum of the 10 numbers used to make the table in the first place.

MMoto

Postby MMoto » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 pm UTC

Fiddly wrote:http://www.drunkmenworkhere.org/129
As most people already figured out, this is generally unsolvable. I can't rigorously prove that it never has a feasible solution, but I ran a few of the matrices through an assignment problem solver, and for a given matrix, any choice will yield the exact same number (the maximum and minimum possible values are equal). All the matrices that yield the same number can be gotten by performing row or column swaps on another matrix that yields the number. Maybe there's an instance that adds up to 100, but I'd doubt it.

Subtract the minimum of each row from all entries in that row; after this it should be clear why your choices don't matter.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”