The Ungoogleable

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Christo

The Ungoogleable

Postby Christo » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:42 pm UTC

I heard awhile back that the origin of using "man" as slang--as in "Hey man, how you doing?"--comes from the black power movement. It was a response to racist whites referring to adult black males as "boy." Calling one another man was a way of conveying respect. I tried googling it and couldn't come up with anything, which leads me to some questions:

First, can anyone verify the story?

Also, I'm so accustomed to having all human knowledge at my fingertips that not being able to find something really got me thinking about the limits of search engines and apps. For example, if you didn't know what blowing a raspberry was called (also referred to as blowing a strawberry or a Bronx Cheer), how could you come up with it's name?

Another question is, can you think of other things that are unsearchable? For awhile one of those things would be finding the names of instrumentals, but there are apps now that can identify songs. So, what information can't we find?
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Tirian

Re: The Ungoogleable

Postby Tirian » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:55 pm UTC

Googling numbers often leads to tears in my experience.

I found a new pet peeve last week when I went to Google John Stewart, the African-American Green Lantern. Google helpfully pointed out at the top of the search page "Did you mean Jon Stewart?" (the host of The Daily Show), but then unhelpfully assumed that that's what I meant and the entire page was filled with Jon Stewart links. Of course, "John Stewart green lantern" gave me the information I actually wanted, but that's what it took to bypass Google's helpfulness.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:00 pm UTC

The copy of the shorter oxford english dictionary I have dates that usage to late middle english ie some time about 1350 till 1470. As to how it came to be repopularised, no idea sorry.

Here's another page asking the same question

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... p?t=429863

I got it by googling "man interjection origin" with no quotes.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 am UTC

Anything that relies on punctuation to be distinguished. Example: Looking up a programming language operator.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:56 am UTC

I’ve had difficulty searching for songs to which I only knew the wordless refrains (not instrumentals per se) such as the “Lie la-lie” part of Simon and Garfunkel’s The Boxer or the “Na na-na-na na” part of Wilson Pickett’s Land of 1000 Dances. You say there are programs that can identify these for me if I sing them into a microphone?
wee free kings

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:21 am UTC

I saw a list of these somewhere, possibly tvtropes, a few years ago. The only one I remember is searching for an mp3 of something with the acronym MP3, such as the film Mera Pehla Pehla Pyaar or the game Metroid Prime 3. But I tried it just now, and it looks like google's twerked its algorithms to fix this.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 am UTC

Images. Say I've seen an image on a page somewhere before, but I don't remember where. Maybe I saved the image; how do I give the image to Google so it can go find the page it came from? How about a much harder problem: Maybe I didn't save the image; how can I give Google my own drawing of what I remember of the image so it can go find the image I'm thinking of?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Xias

Postby Xias » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:22 am UTC

It kind of reminds me of the spelling/dictionary problem.

For example, if you didn't know how to spell "pneumonia" or "mnemonic" , you would not be able to look it up in a dictionary.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 am UTC

Online Etymology Dictionary wrote:As an interjection of surprise or emphasis, first recorded c.1400, but especially popular from early 20c.
Sort of helpful, I suppose.

I'm impressed with how advanced Google's gotten... If you type in "the the" without the quotes, it'll actually lead you to the band.

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:50 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:Images. Say I've seen an image on a page somewhere before, but I don't remember where. Maybe I saved the image; how do I give the image to Google so it can go find the page it came from? How about a much harder problem: Maybe I didn't save the image; how can I give Google my own drawing of what I remember of the image so it can go find the image I'm thinking of?

If you've saved the image file itself, http://www.tineye.com/

greengiant

Postby greengiant » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

If you search google for 'stick out tongue and blow' (no quotation marks), the first result is the wikipedia page for blowing a raspberry. I'm always impressed by how well you can find seemingly tricky things on google if you put in a bit of effort.

Normally when I have difficulty it's with things that ought to be easy to find. Can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head but certain searches just seem to bring up pages and pages of dodgy websites that have no real content, but that are spammed up to the eyeballs with mentions of what you've searched for.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:14 pm UTC

greengiant wrote:If you search google for 'stick out tongue and blow' (no quotation marks), the first result is the wikipedia page for blowing a raspberry.

…and what happens when you put that in an image search with SafeSearch turned off?
wee free kings

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:05 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:I’ve had difficulty searching for songs to which I only knew the wordless refrains... the “Na na-na-na na” part of Wilson Pickett’s Land of 1000 Dances.

That's funny, I was going to give that exact same example, except I was going to say it was surprisingly easy to find the answer. True, it wasn't the first hit, but given how ill-defined my search was, and how many song have that sort of lyric, I was surprised it was even on the first page. A search on what's the song that goes naaaa na na na naaaa takes me here for the eighth hit.

I had trouble searching for the origins of certain snowclones before I knew to treat them like a formula. For instance, having seen variations on "X Y is X" such as "obvious troll is obvious", I had no idea how to find out the origin (The Simpsons, btw) because the only constant was "is".

greengiant

Postby greengiant » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:43 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:
greengiant wrote:If you search google for 'stick out tongue and blow' (no quotation marks), the first result is the wikipedia page for blowing a raspberry.

…and what happens when you put that in an image search with SafeSearch turned off?

Piqued my curiosity. Surprisingly you get results that are only 10% smutty. Quite a good selection really; a polar bear with a blue tongue, a frog blowing a raspberry, shrek with one of those party blower things and interestingly two pictures of raspberries (the fruit).

KrazyerKate

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:18 am UTC

Tirian wrote:I found a new pet peeve last week when I went to Google John Stewart, the African-American Green Lantern. Google helpfully pointed out at the top of the search page "Did you mean Jon Stewart?" (the host of The Daily Show), but then unhelpfully assumed that that's what I meant and the entire page was filled with Jon Stewart links. Of course, "John Stewart green lantern" gave me the information I actually wanted, but that's what it took to bypass Google's helpfulness.

Cut google some slack. 95% of the people that typed in 'john stewart' DID mean to search for the host of the daily show. You just happen to be in the unfortunate 5%.

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:45 am UTC

HonoreDB wrote:If you've saved the image file itself, http://www.tineye.com/

Awesome. Thanks.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:26 am UTC

Oh hey, just ran into another one. Yay. :?

The word "comments" is prominently featured on EVERY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET. This makes searches for other meanings of the word "comment" difficult.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:37 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
Tirian wrote:I found a new pet peeve last week when I went to Google John Stewart, the African-American Green Lantern. Google helpfully pointed out at the top of the search page "Did you mean Jon Stewart?" (the host of The Daily Show), but then unhelpfully assumed that that's what I meant and the entire page was filled with Jon Stewart links. Of course, "John Stewart green lantern" gave me the information I actually wanted, but that's what it took to bypass Google's helpfulness.

Cut google some slack. 95% of the people that typed in 'john stewart' DID mean to search for the host of the daily show. You just happen to be in the unfortunate 5%.

Yes, but I am in the unfortunate 5% who want WHAT THEY ASKED FOR. I would cut Google some slack if the search return page says "Here are the Jon Stewart results. *Click here* if you actually did mean 'John Stewart' and then I will stop second-guessing you." Instead, they gave me something I don't want and then give me a correction link to switch to the same thing.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:09 am UTC

If you search for "John Stewart" including quotes, then it'll give you exactly that, only results that contain "John Stewart" as a phrase (no Jon results). If you search for +John Stewart with a plus before the contentious word, then it'll offer "Jon" as a replacement, but it'll still only give "John" results (and it will include results that just contain "John" and "Stewart" separately, like normal).

The message used to say "Showing results for Jon Stewart, If you really meant John Stewart click here" or suchlike, which would take you to the results for +John Stewart, but they got rid of it. No idea why, it was a useful link.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:18 am UTC

HonoreDB wrote:Oh hey, just ran into another one. Yay. :?

The word "comments" is prominently featured on EVERY WEBSITE ON THE INTERNET. This makes searches for other meanings of the word "comment" difficult.

Google has the answer. Type this into a search

define:comment

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:45 am UTC

Tirian wrote:Googling numbers often leads to tears in my experience.

I found a new pet peeve last week when I went to Google John Stewart, the African-American Green Lantern. Google helpfully pointed out at the top of the search page "Did you mean Jon Stewart?" (the host of The Daily Show), but then unhelpfully assumed that that's what I meant and the entire page was filled with Jon Stewart links. Of course, "John Stewart green lantern" gave me the information I actually wanted, but that's what it took to bypass Google's helpfulness.

"john stewart" -jon
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Christo

Postby Christo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:44 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:I’ve had difficulty searching for songs to which I only knew the wordless refrains (not instrumentals per se) such as the “Lie la-lie” part of Simon and Garfunkel’s The Boxer or the “Na na-na-na na” part of Wilson Pickett’s Land of 1000 Dances. You say there are programs that can identify these for me if I sing them into a microphone?

I don't know about that, but there are apparently phone apps that will identify songs for you and take you straight to iTunes to buy them. You can also take pictures of book covers and it'll pull the book up for you on amazon. That's a total mind fuck to me.
www.cuttingroomcomic.com - a twice a week webcomic about recently released and upcoming movies.

Jimmigee

Postby Jimmigee » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Certain symbols seem to be litterally impossible to include in the search. I work with SAS software and have tried finding various 'macro functions' all of which start with %. If anyone can get a search to actually include the % then I would love to know how! Example: "%macro"

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

Christo wrote:
Qaanol wrote:I’ve had difficulty searching for songs to which I only knew the wordless refrains (not instrumentals per se) such as the “Lie la-lie” part of Simon and Garfunkel’s The Boxer or the “Na na-na-na na” part of Wilson Pickett’s Land of 1000 Dances. You say there are programs that can identify these for me if I sing them into a microphone?

I don't know about that, but there are apparently phone apps that will identify songs for you and take you straight to iTunes to buy them. You can also take pictures of book covers and it'll pull the book up for you on amazon. That's a total mind fuck to me.

That product is (very appropriately) called Shazam, because it must require the combined forces of six different gods to do something so awesome. My brother showed it to my by holding up his iPhone in a crowded restaurant, and it took about five seconds worth of sampling to identify the song being played over the loudspeaker.

I believe I have heard a couple of years ago of a project where you can call a phone number and sing into it and it will sort it out for you, but that would be a whole different encryption algorithm and I don't know how far along that development is.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 pm UTC

Arancaytar wrote:"john stewart" -jon

This reminds me of a question I’ve been wondering for a while: Let’s say I want to search for websites that include both "john" and "stewart", not necessarily consecutively, but that do not include "jon" unless they also contain "john stewart" consecutively. Is there a way to do that in one search?
wee free kings

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm UTC

Yeah, you wouldn't want to spend an extra 0.23 seconds doing two searches, after all. :)

mike-l

Postby mike-l » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 pm UTC

phlip wrote:The message used to say "Showing results for Jon Stewart, If you really meant John Stewart click here" or suchlike, which would take you to the results for +John Stewart, but they got rid of it. No idea why, it was a useful link.

I just tried it right now and got

"Showing results for jon stewart. Search instead for john stewart"... maybe your google is broken?
addams wrote:This forum has some very well educated people typing away in loops with Sourmilk. He is a lucky Sourmilk.

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:53 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:"john stewart" -jon

This reminds me of a question I’ve been wondering for a while: Let’s say I want to search for websites that include both "john" and "stewart", not necessarily consecutively, but that do not include "jon" unless they also contain "john stewart" consecutively. Is there a way to do that in one search?

john stewart -jon OR "john stewart" seems to work.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm UTC

Tirian wrote:
Christo wrote:

That product is (very appropriately) called Shazam, because it must require the combined forces of six different gods to do something so awesome. My brother showed it to my by holding up his iPhone in a crowded restaurant, and it took about five seconds worth of sampling to identify the song being played over the loudspeaker.

I believe I have heard a couple of years ago of a project where you can call a phone number and sing into it and it will sort it out for you, but that would be a whole different encryption algorithm and I don't know how far along that development is.

If you don't wish to pay for an iPhone app (or don't have an iPhone) there are other ways as well. The first is midomi.com, a website which does the same thing for free. The second does just the same, except as a program on your computer. This is tunatic, found at http://www.wildbits.com/tunatic/tunalyzer.html
Environ 20% plus chouette.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:22 pm UTC

Xias wrote:It kind of reminds me of the spelling/dictionary problem.

For example, if you didn't know how to spell "pneumonia" or "mnemonic" , you would not be able to look it up in a dictionary.

It's similar, although problems like that are largely solved now - I know if you google phonetic spellings ('newmonia' and 'nemonic') it suggests the correct spellings. I imagine there are decent spellcheckers (perhaps MS Word) and online/computer dictionaries that could give you the correct spelling too.

iroZn

Postby iroZn » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:59 am UTC

Patashu wrote:Anything that relies on punctuation to be distinguished. Example: Looking up a programming language operator.

Google has a code search database. You can search through public source code, and of course punctuation is important.

http://www.google.com/codesearch
I am imaginary, prove me wrong!

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Xias wrote:It kind of reminds me of the spelling/dictionary problem.

It's similar, although problems like that are largely solved now - I know if you google phonetic spellings ('newmonia' and 'nemonic') it suggests the correct spellings. I imagine there are decent spellcheckers (perhaps MS Word) and online/computer dictionaries that could give you the correct spelling too.

Or you can take this approach.

pooshare

Postby pooshare » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:29 pm UTC

Is there a fine difference between "something that Google cannot search" (i.e. odd symbols) and "Google did not find what I was looking for" (i.e. "man" as the OP states)?

Blatm

Postby Blatm » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:03 am UTC

I can't seem to find the code for specific unicode characters I've seen in the past (but whose names I don't know) using Google.

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:21 am UTC

pooshare wrote:Is there a fine difference between "something that Google cannot search" (i.e. odd symbols) and "Google did not find what I was looking for" (i.e. "man" as the OP states)?

The former is "trivially" solved by an identical search engine that accounts for the thing that the previous one dropped, while the latter is more fundamentally a problem due to shadowing and so on.

Blatm: Is there not a big function somewhere where you put in a unicode name and get out the code for it? Or am I thinking of the opposite... Even if there is, you could write a program to iterate over every code point and print it all out - wouldn't take long, then you could search it.

Pangolin

Postby Pangolin » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:34 pm UTC

I have an 'ungoogleable' as far as I know anyway: the Boston Legal episode "Helping Hands" has a scene where Daniel Post (Michael J Fox) and Denise Bauer (Julie Bowen) are at a restaurant. In the background throughout there is a song playing - and I really want to know what it is. To help identify the scene, either immediately before or immediately after the scene there is a 'fly over the city' pan shot, at night (not that odd for Boston Legal, but I try).

I tried Tunatic but it didn't know what the song was and because I can't make out any lyrics I can't google those. IMDB has 2 songs listed for that episode but I'm 90% sure that they aren't the song I'm talking about. I tried a few Google searches, but I can't make it out.

So what's my next step? I'm stumped basically. (Also if anyone here is inclined to figure it out - or if you know anyway - I'd appreciate it so much if you put me out of my misery XD).

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:25 pm UTC

Pangolin wrote:I have an 'ungoogleable' as far as I know anyway: the Boston Legal episode "Helping Hands" has a scene where Daniel Post (Michael J Fox) and Denise Bauer (Julie Bowen) are at a restaurant. In the background throughout there is a song playing - and I really want to know what it is. To help identify the scene, either immediately before or immediately after the scene there is a 'fly over the city' pan shot, at night (not that odd for Boston Legal, but I try).

I tried Tunatic but it didn't know what the song was and because I can't make out any lyrics I can't google those. IMDB has 2 songs listed for that episode but I'm 90% sure that they aren't the song I'm talking about. I tried a few Google searches, but I can't make it out.

So what's my next step? I'm stumped basically. (Also if anyone here is inclined to figure it out - or if you know anyway - I'd appreciate it so much if you put me out of my misery XD).

Is it one of these? http://heardontv.com/tvshow/Boston+Lega ... ping+Hands

This one has as description "Denise and Daniel at the restaurant".

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Kolko wrote:
Pangolin wrote:I have an 'ungoogleable' as far as I know anyway: the Boston Legal episode "Helping Hands" has a scene where Daniel Post (Michael J Fox) and Denise Bauer (Julie Bowen) are at a restaurant. In the background throughout there is a song playing - and I really want to know what it is. To help identify the scene, either immediately before or immediately after the scene there is a 'fly over the city' pan shot, at night (not that odd for Boston Legal, but I try).

Is it one of these? http://heardontv.com/tvshow/Boston+Lega ... ping+Hands

This one has as description "Denise and Daniel at the restaurant".

How did you find it though?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Kolko

Postby Kolko » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

I checked heardontv.com

Not exactly google, but the site itself is googlable.

Pangolin

Postby Pangolin » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 am UTC

Yes! Mystery solved! Thank you so much!
That's brilliant - one of those things that just drive you insane over time.

Thanks!

Plus now I have another method of solving these problems myself!

Return to “Logic Puzzles”