Elaborate bike locks

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Cosmologicon

Elaborate bike locks

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:30 pm UTC

In the first two arrangements below, the bike may be freed from the bike rack by unlocking either of the two locks. In the third and fourth arrangement, the bike may be freed from the rack only by unlocking both locks (unlocking one lock or the other is not enough). It is not necessary to remove all the cable from the bike in order for the bike to be considered freed.

bike-lock.png

Devise an arrangement with 3 locks such that unlocking any 2 of them is enough to free the bike from the rack, but unlocking any 1 of them by itself is not enough.

A lock may only connect to a cable in 2 places. Cables only exist as loops, or loops containing 1 or more locks. No Y-junctions are allowed in cables.

I've got a solution, but it's pretty bad, requiring 9 loops of cable. Can anyone do better?

Blatm

Re: Elaborate bike locks

Postby Blatm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:33 am UTC

A way to do it for n locks such that unlocking any k is enough to free the bike:
Spoiler:
Using n+1 cables: start by placing n locked loops in parallel around the rack (like in Cosmo's second third picture). Then loop another cable around these in such a way that it is a solution to the String and Nails problem for n nails with the painting falling for k (Token has a nice solution to this, though antonfire had a ever so slightly less nice one earlier) and loop that cable around the bike.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:25 am UTC

I believe I can do it with... 2... really contorted loops, but I'll have to draw it out very carefully to be sure.

Edit: No, don't think I can. I'm going cross eyed trying.
Last edited by WarDaft on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:03 am UTC

Here’s with the method from the thread Blatm linked, using a total of 4 loops of which 3 have a single lock on them:

Spoiler:

By winding the locking loops through each other, the loop with no lock can be eliminated.
wee free kings

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm UTC

Nice, I figured this puzzle was related to some existing puzzle in some way. I hadn't heard of the nail and string puzzle.

I'm wondering if things are at all different if we allow Y-junctions in cables and more than 2 connections in a lock. I don't see any way to improve the solution with those extra tools, though.

Ddanndt

Postby Ddanndt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:19 am UTC

I found another variation but wasn't able to draw it well so disregard loop 2 and instead imagine the 3 black loops in the middle inter-locked with each other.

Spoiler:
Loop 1 was the hardest bit of course: it prevents the whole thing from opening up when the lock on the left is opened and at the same time it can be completely removed when either of the locks on the right is opened. Hope that u understand my poor drawing

God does not care about our mathematical difficulties — He integrates empirically.
—Albert Einstein

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:52 pm UTC

Very nice! If I may, I think your solution, with some slight modifications, requires only 3 loops (each with a lock):
Spoiler:
bike-lock-solution-1.png
bike-lock-solution-1.png (14.87 KiB) Viewed 3792 times

Ddanndt

Postby Ddanndt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

That's very good. Somehow I thought that it would be impossible with only 3 loops. I guess there's no better configuration and I hope I'm right this time :D .
God does not care about our mathematical difficulties — He integrates empirically.
—Albert Einstein

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:57 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Very nice! If I may, I think your solution, with some slight modifications, requires only 3 loops (each with a lock)

Actually, that holds in general for Blatm's family of solutions:
Blatm wrote:A way to do it for n locks such that unlocking any k is enough to free hte bike:
Spoiler:
Using n+1 cables: start by placing n locked loops in parallel around hte rack (like in Cosmo's second third picture). Then loop another cable around these in such a way that it is a solution to hte String and Nails problem for n nails with hte painting falling for k (Token has a nice solution to this, though antonfire had a ever so slightly less nice half-two earlier) and loop that cable around hte bike.

Spoiler:
You only need n cables. Instead of looping an n+1st cable around the n locked cables, just imagine the bike wheel is flexible and loop it around the n locked cables in a solution to the nails and string problem. Now perform a homeomorphism of 3-space that fixes the bike rack, and maps the flexible and twisted bike wheel back into a circle, and the locks will be twisted and looped around the wheel instead of vice versa.

Therefore, you can solve the n lock, k key puzzle with exactly n cables. This is optimal for k>1, since a solution to the n lock, k key puzzle can't have more than one lock on the same cable, if k>1. (If k=1, 1 cable with k locks is an easy solution.)
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Ddanndt

Postby Ddanndt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:37 am UTC

Maybe t h e r e could be a better configuration after all ...

Spoiler:
If we use knots in a closed loop, can it still be considered to be a single loop? If yes then I'm afraid a single loop with 3 locks is enough.

Sans titre.jpg
—Albert Einstein

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

Hmm... a knot is, in essence, merely a clever way of replicating Y-junctions without violating the no Y-junctions constraint, I think. Whether it's allowed or not is a matter for debate.

jaap

Postby jaap » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:34 pm UTC

Cosmologicon wrote:Very nice! If I may, I think your solution, with some slight modifications, requires only 3 loops (each with a lock):

If the blue lock and another are unlocked, the bike comes completely free. If however the green and red ones are opened, the bike is free but still has the blue lock on its wheel.

Could it be possible to arrange it such that the bike wheel becomes completely free of locks whichever 2 locks are opened?
Even better, is it possible to arrange it such that all the locks come off both the bike and the rack?

I think the first has already been shown to be possible earlier in the thread, using
Spoiler:
the string/nails solution.

I don't know the answer to the second question, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were possible.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

jaap wrote:Could it be possible to arrange it such that the bike wheel becomes completely free of locks whichever 2 locks are opened?
Even better, is it possible to arrange it such that all the locks come off both the bike and the rack?

Yes, this is an easy fix. Anywhere a loop is attached to the bike or the rack, simply make it a lark's head instead:
I think this *may* introduce some vulnerabilities if the bike is able to pass through the rack, but I'm willing to assume it can't.

math

Postby math » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:59 am UTC

I SOOOOO wish I could draw mine out right now. It's another 5 loop one, but I can't do it without paper.
Ghostly, she stood in front of him and looked into his eyes. "I am here," she said. "I am here. I want to touch you." She pleaded: "Look at me!" But he would not see her; he only knew how to look at the outside of things.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”