Pennies in Boxes

A forum for good logic/math puzzles.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Re: Pennies in Boxes

Postby Sableagle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:03 pm UTC

Wait for hurricane season to shred it for you?

Get up on top of it. Make a hole, top and centre. Put a few handfuls of various kinds of bird food in there. Wait for the mice to do all the work for you.

They'll go through a 100x75mm timber to get at my bird food supplies. Cardboard isn't going to stop them.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:44 pm UTC

In that vein, a lot of exterminators have been running local ads indicating that it's "Termite swarming season"
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

undecim

Postby undecim » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:45 am UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:In that vein, a lot of exterminators have been running local ads indicating that it's "Termite swarming season"

So now the question is what to do with a million hungry termites in your back yard that just ran out of cardboard to eat.
Blue, blue, blue

Sableagle
Ormurinn's Alt

Postby Sableagle » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am UTC

You want to know where birds go when it rains? Same place they go when it doesn't rain: my garden. Termites are edible.

Having given this matter some though, I reckon to have found a solution to it that gets round the "can't make minimum wage opening these boxes" problem. There's a minimum age to qualify for a minimum wage. Primary schools, Refuge, refugee shelters et cetera can have a boot-load each of the things and the children can open them.

It doesn't make me rich, and my lawn's still a mess, to say nothing of what that box did to my laundry line, but it makes us richer than we were and I feel good.
Oh, Willie McBride, it was all done in vain.

Quizatzhaderac

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Mon May 02, 2016 3:47 pm UTC

undecim wrote:So now the question is what to do with a million hungry termites in your back yard that just ran out of cardboard to eat.
I'm going to be honest here:

I was just picturing commanding the swarm like some c-list comic book villain.

I guess it might be possible to get them to swarm into a trap somehow, or maybe establish some kind of termite proof ring around the cube.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

DanD

Postby DanD » Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 pm UTC

Quizatzhaderac wrote:
undecim wrote:So now the question is what to do with a million hungry termites in your back yard that just ran out of cardboard to eat.
I'm going to be honest here:

I was just picturing commanding the swarm like some c-list comic book villain.

I guess it might be possible to get them to swarm into a trap somehow, or maybe establish some kind of termite proof ring around the cube.

Apparently termites (the American variety at least) can't swim, although they do like being near open water.

So put the box concrete tray with a few inches of water. The moist cardboard will break down easier and be a better environment for the termites, and as long as the tray has a few spare meters of water around the box, the termites are trapped. Until they swarm, admittedly.

Return to “Logic Puzzles”