How do I connect the friggin power button?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mat

How do I connect the friggin power button?

Postby Mat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:25 pm UTC

So I'm attempting to a build a new PC. It has lots of little cables from the case: the power switch, reset switch, and some LEDs.

My motherboard (MSI H87-G43) has a 9 pin JFP1 connector which these are supposed to go into.

The problem I'm having is the cables don't want to actually stay on the connector. I can get a few of them onto the pins but they don't latch into place and they just get pulled out when I try to connect the rest of them. Is there some trick to this?

My manual references some optional thing called an "M-connector" that I can plug the pins into before attaching to the motherboard but it's not included and I can't find anywhere to buy one. :evil:

Help?

*Edit* 10 minutes after writing this I managed to get one of them in place by applying more force :oops:
Still curious if anyone knows about the m connectors though. This seems unnecessarily difficult.

cerbie

Re: How do I connect the friggin power button?

Postby cerbie » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:09 pm UTC

As a tip for the future, hold on to the cabling behind the connector, and wiggle it as you push, once you have the right pins, or get it on a little bit, and push it the rest of the way with some small implement (screwdriver tip, needlenose pliers tip, fingernail, etc.).

The "M" (MSI) connector, and "Q" (Asus) connector are included with high-end boards. Intel has a standard location for all the pins, but since not absolutely everyone ever has used that same layout, most cases has separate connectors. You'll commonly find that barebones and big vendor PCs will have the same pin-out, but use a single connector. That special connector is to mimic that, by plugging those cables into that/them, then to the board, so you can plug in and remove the whole front panel connector, instead of several of them. If not reviewing hardware, I don't get why it would be useful, TBH.
DSenette: (...) on the whole, even a trained killer cow is kind of stupid.

Mat

Re: How do I connect the friggin power button?

Postby Mat » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:20 pm UTC

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try and follow that next time. These connectors have been the most fiddly part of the whole build.

After finally getting the power ones sorted I managed to screw up usb 3 get it working \o/

Return to “Hardware”