Help Finding MP3 Player

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

free-bee

Help Finding MP3 Player

Postby free-bee » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

I am looking for a relatively-high capacity MP3 player; about 10GB should be fine for now (8GB is acceptable). It needs to be able to play most audio files. It needs a longish lasting internal rechargable battery and can get pretty loud as my headphones have fairly high impedance (plus I like my music loudish). The player cannot have "Apple" or the Apple logo anywhere on it. I already have a Touch and it's just way too many steps to get music on it. Here's how simple adding music should be: plug it in via USB, copy/paste music onto it, "safely remove" the player. Whereas Ipod does it: plug in via USB, download/install software, create/login account, search for music, uncheck what you don't want, delete old music, backup, add new music, eject.

I would prefer the player to be as close to the same (physical) size as your standard flash drive as possible; not the size of a cinder block.

What the MP3 player don't need: video playback, camera, sensors, etc. It should be as basic an MP3 player as possible.

ETA*
I'm looking for something like this.
my sister wrote:[the sun] can go to Hell and brighten that place up a while.

yanfan388

Re: Help Finding MP3 Player

Postby yanfan388 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:43 am UTC

You sound like me. :D

I'm still using a Sony NWZ-S545 for exercising and I like it a lot. The storage is 16GB of flash memory (good for running!!!) and you can load files by dragging them from a computer in Explorer. There's video playback and an FM tuner, but not too much else extras. And it's not too big.

Unfortunately that model may be hard to find now, but there may be something like it in Sony's catalog. Hope so. This one can't last forever.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 am UTC

...Oh wait, the OP is from October.

I actually have a Sansa Clip+ and I'm quite happy with it – except it quite abruptly stopped working one day, possibly because I got too much sweat in it. Fortunately I got it replaced under warranty and subsequently bought a little silicone sleeve for it.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue May 06, 2014 9:13 am UTC

I've had two Sansa Clips and my mother has had one.
All three have had failures; one completely stopped working and various buttons stopped working on the other two.

Which is a shame; they're good devices otherwise.

bobmon

Postby bobmon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

I still like the Sansa Fuse. A bit larger than the Clip, easier to see, and I like the controls better.
16GB internal plus a 32GB microSD card.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:25 am UTC

I do kinda wish I had a proper armband for my Clip+. I had a nice one for my old MP3 player, but it had its audio port on its end rather than on its side, like the Clip+. A low-profile 90-degree adapter would get the job done, of course, but no such thing seems to exist.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:01 pm UTC

Additional vote for Sansa. I have had the Clip for years. The silicone skin does protect it somewhat, with it it can even survive me for years. The controls are usable blind and the battery life is reasonable (used to be 15 or 16 hours but now it degraded to about 8).

The only reason I don't use it is that I now have a smartphone and switched over to Spotify for all my music needs. The smartphone also works with a neat bluetooth headphone which the Sansa doesn't.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

GeorgeChalfant

Postby GeorgeChalfant » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:31 pm UTC

The Sana really works well. I have had an iPod before and for some reason, vigorous exercise and the iPod (the larger versions) do not see eye to eye. It meant that I had to replace my battery after only seven months. Never had a problem with the Clip, and I do mean ever.

Narroo

Postby Narroo » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:54 am UTC

Honestly, you'd get a much better answer from an audiophile board. This is more Desktop oriented.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:04 am UTC

Narroo wrote:Honestly, you'd get a much better answer from an audiophile board. This is more Desktop oriented.

Um... The last post in this thread was four months ago, and the OP has never posted again. And, being new here, I'm not sure how you've gauged the orientation of this board?

But anyway, it so happens this bump is quite timely! My Sansa Clip+ has met with a terrible fate and will no longer turn on; plugging it into a PC either results in it being recognized as an unidentified device or as a 31 MB unformatted drive. It might be feasible to resurrect it (there's a lot of info at the Rockbox Wiki), but I haven't found anything definitive yet and suggestions as to how to proceed are most welcome.

Otherwise, I shall have to embark on the search for a replacement; apparently the Sansa Clip+, despite being discontinued, is still much beloved and now sell for considerably more than the original purchase price of my unit.

MP3 players in general seem to be less common than they used to be. I was reading the other day that apparently an old Android cell phone would be both affordable and versatile. Perhaps someone has a particular model they'd like to suggest? Or even one he'd care to donate?
http://kk.org/cooltools/archives/22937

I do have an old Samsung A720, but in fact I barely know what to do with it. It does have a convenient microSD card slot and even has nice player buttons on its face, but the audio jack is not 3.5 mm.

As far as players go, apparently the Riuzu X02 is quite nice.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-di ... 23046.html

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:52 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:And, being new here, I'm not sure how you've gauged the orientation of this board?
Low post count doesn't necessarily mean new; people lurk. And look at the joined date.

Return to “Hardware”