Lost space on external harddrive

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

davidhiep86

Lost space on external harddrive

Postby davidhiep86 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:41 am UTC

I have an external harddrive and I think the original space on it was 120GB. I got a Windows 8 laptop that said about using an harddrive/memory stick for the backup. So I used the harddrive.
I now don't need the backup so deleted the files on there and the harddrive now states it has just 31.9GB.

How do I get the rest of the space back that it originally had?

Thanks.

markfiend

Re: Lost space on external harddrive

Postby markfiend » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:29 pm UTC

reformat?
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

wumpus

Re: Lost space on external harddrive

Postby wumpus » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:05 pm UTC

First, your description is somewhat confusing. A harddrive pulled from a machine pre-loaded with windows likely to have a "reinstall" partition as well as a user partition. On the other hand, the reinstall partition is unlikely to be larger than half the user partition (all of it is expected to fit on the drive). I'll assume that the ~32GB (rounded due to GB/GiB issues) is the free space left on the user drive.

Reformatting shouldn't be necessary (but it is likely safer. In any event always have any data backed up, especially before playing tricky games with your drives). You should be able to remove the reinstall partition (either by using something like fdisk, or finding the right GUI buried in windows [probably listed under a separate "hardware" directory since windows calls partitions "drives"). Once you do that, there should be a means of expanding your partition to cover the rest of the drive.

Googling claims that the tools are here (for windows 8):My Computer, select Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management
[checking, seems to be what you want.]

Return to “Hardware”