37%
I don't care
50%

Total votes: 38

Andries

No-one needs one.

Postby Andries » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm UTC

Or will they?

I am one who confidently predicted that the Ipad would disappear within a year or two. So much for my tech instincts

KnightExemplar

Re: No-one needs one.

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:43 pm UTC

I don't like any of the watches that have come out yet.

The new Pebble has a 7-day battery with color eInk screen, and a variety of sensors that seem useful and a thriving App environment. Its also being made by a highly-innovative kickstarter-based company, and was the "original" SmartWatch. If I were to buy a smartwatch, it'd be a Pebble.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/59 ... ompromises

The "David vs Goliath" crowdfunded, highly innovative, cross platform, weeks-long battery life Pebble Watch... or a 3-day battery overpriced clone? Well, maybe when both products come out, it will be easier to compare the two. I don't actually want either watch frankly. But I'd place my bets on Pebble.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

Pebble Time also costs $179 compared to the apple $349. I mean, minor footnote and all.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

karhell

Postby karhell » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

eeeeeh... I'll be keeping my traditional, several-year-battery, still gives the time watch, thank you ^^

As I see them, smartwatches are an overpriced gadget at best.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:07 pm UTC

karhell wrote:eeeeeh... I'll be keeping my traditional, several-year-battery, still gives the time watch, thank you ^^

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast. I can assure you that I visit the watch battery place fairly regularly and your average watch battery isn't good for more than 3 years. If you got 7 years out of it, that's a minor battery miracle (though storing the watch with the stem pulled out can get you there).

Though I suppose my automatic, which doesn't have a battery, could go that long. Not that manual watches can run for 7*365.25*24 hours between substantial maintenance mind you.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:31 am UTC

mosc wrote:I can assure you that I visit the watch battery place fairly regularly and your average watch battery isn't good for more than 3 years. If you got 7 years out of it, that's a minor battery miracle (though storing the watch with the stem pulled out can get you there).

They said "several," meaning anywhere from 2-5 years, not seven.

Anyway, I don't even wear a watch these days, I don't really want to start again. I mean, I think there may be certain people for whom a smart watch is useful, for the most part I think it's just gimmicky. Overall, I think it will go the way of the calculator watch.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:52 pm UTC

mosc wrote:
karhell wrote:eeeeeh... I'll be keeping my traditional, several-year-battery, still gives the time watch, thank you ^^

I'm a bit of a watch enthusiast. I can assure you that I visit the watch battery place fairly regularly and your average watch battery isn't good for more than 3 years. If you got 7 years out of it, that's a minor battery miracle (though storing the watch with the stem pulled out can get you there).

Though I suppose my automatic, which doesn't have a battery, could go that long. Not that manual watches can run for 7*365.25*24 hours between substantial maintenance mind you.

I don't get it, mine's lasted at least 5 years, probably longer.
The watch claims it's good for 10 years.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:00 pm UTC

I would get one only if it came with a laser pointer and was designed to look like a James Bond watch. It also needs to make holographic video calls.

And explode if ever find myself in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

roflwaffle

Postby roflwaffle » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:34 pm UTC

I love my pebble. But... I have ADD, so any device that helps streamline/simplify things is a benefit. Someone w/o the same issues probably wouldn't find a smartwatch as useful.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:53 pm UTC

I don't wear a watch, smart or not. Seriously, at what point in my life will I ever be far enough from electronics to need to examine my WRIST for the time?

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:00 pm UTC

I've got one of them. Wouldn't have it except for my best friend who is an even bigger Apple fan than I pre-ordered hers and wanted someone to send dick sketches to. I really like it, but understand that there's no compelling need to get one in the first place (but seriously, sending the sketches is really cool!)
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

Return to “Hardware”