Large e-ink/epaper/static displays

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Flumble
Yes Man

Large e-ink/epaper/static displays

Postby Flumble » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:05 am UTC

It's been a few years since I've first heard of experiments with transparent, flexible, static, colour displays. (choose any item of the powerset)
Since then, it has led to e-readers, e-readers, secondary displays on phones, smartwatches and e-readers. Also e-readers. And they aren't even flexible or transparent.

If the future is now, where is my 8' (screen diagonals require imperial units) dynamic wallpaper? As in: e-paper covering a large part of my bare wall showing a landscape and the schedule for the week.

Is it hard to produce wiring at this scale? Or are the ink particles (depending on technique) too expensive at this scale? Or is it too hard to make it durable? Is the problem with patents that prevent most companies to start using a technique? Or are large companies scared of potential angry customers because of bad refresh rates, low resolution or bad contrast?

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Re: Large e-ink/epaper/static displays

Postby Zamfir » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am UTC

If you look at the prices of 6 inch ebooks, e-ink screens seem comparable in price with LCD screens of similar size and resolution. More expensive than the bottom-rung quality LCD, cheaper than highest quality LCD. If you look at replacement screens on eBay, you get a similar impression.

There are almost no devices with larger e-ink screens than ebooks, and larger ebooks are expensive. Apparently, the cost of e-ink screens scales worse than LCD.

E-inksells units up to 32”, bw, 1440p. Also in color, though god knows about those prices. With 1mm gaps if you place several next to each other. So 8 ft is possible if you matrix 9 screens. They don't give out prices, and don't showcase customers.

Neil_Boekend

Postby Neil_Boekend » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:40 am UTC

It seems to be where E-ink Prism is heading. The press kit is huge but contains a clip of the stuff in action.
The resolution is limited and the price is probably huge but the beginning is there.
Mikeski wrote:A "What If" update is never late. Nor is it early. It is posted precisely when it should be.

patzer's signature wrote:
flicky1991 wrote:I'm being quoted too much!

he/him/his

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 pm UTC

Zamfir wrote:There are almost no devices with larger e-ink screens than ebooks, and larger ebooks are expensive. Apparently, the cost of e-ink screens scales worse than LCD.

It appears so, but I don't understand why. IIRC raw materials cost nothing nowadays and it would seem that using larger pixels requires cheaper (less precise) machines. Does somone know more about this?

Neil_Boekend wrote:It seems to be where E-ink Prism is heading. The press kit is huge but contains a clip of the stuff in action.
The resolution is limited and the price is probably huge but the beginning is there.

Yes, that's more like it. Too bad it costs as much as the interior of a house (and I'd choose a tap over fancy wallpaper any day).
Though, this may be prohibitly expensive mostly because they can't optimise the production chain because no one buys it. The mall example on the website can be achieved by fancy lights and then you have the illumination for free.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Thu May 07, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

IIRC raw materials cost nothing nowadays and it would seem that using larger pixels requires cheaper (less precise) machines. Does somone know more about this?

E-ink is made of microcapsules that are smaller than a pixel. So each pixel is filled with many capsules. I am not sure, but I think the size of a cpasule is fixed. In an LCD, a pixel is a little sealed rectangle filled with liquid.

At a guess, the microcapsules are a major part of the cost of e-ink, but the the liquid not so much for LCDs. So for LCDS the cost is mostly driven by the number of pixels that you have to make, while for e-ink the cost is partially driven by the raw area to cover with more microcapsules.

Return to “Hardware”