Crazy monitor situation.

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Crazy monitor situation.

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm UTC

Lightning knocked out power while playing a game yesterday.

When power comes back, I turn computer on and screen resolution is set at 640x480.
I try to change it and nothing fixes the problem. Computer and monitor work fine but can't adjust the resolution. (24" monitor --- so everything is huge and most things are off the screen).

I update/reinstall all drivers. Nothing.

I hook up the monitor to another computer --- same thing. Again, I can watch vidoes, do whatever except adjust the resolution.
The monitor menu (physically on the monitor) -- will let me adjust any aspect except screen resolution and the native resolution listed is 640x480. (It used to be 1440x900).

I hook it up to a third computer -- same result.

I scour the internet --- nothing remotely like this pops up.

I run to Bestbuy today and buy a new monitor (upgraded to 25") --- BAM works perfectly.
(I thought it might be the cable pins... nope using my old DVI cable and it works perfectly)

So basically ---- a power surge caused my 24" monitor to keep working but only at 640x480 resolution. How that is possible --- no clue. Oddest damn situation.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

WanderingLinguist

Re: Crazy monitor situation.

Postby WanderingLinguist » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:57 am UTC

I'm not a monitor expert, but perhaps whatever component sends the EDID got fried. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but maybe there's a way to get a driver that can ignore EDID and let you arbitrarily set a resolution? Or maybe see if you can get the monitor serviced? I've been living outside of the US for so long that I don't know how it works there, but here in Korea we just call the manufacturer and they send someone out to look a the monitor. It costs $15 if it's under warranty; if it's out of warranty, it costs $15 plus cost of parts (you decide whether to service it). If it's EDID related, it might not be an expensive thing to fix. But again... just some random thoughts; I'm not an expert.

Return to “Hardware”