External hard drive speeds, and other considerations

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

ucim

External hard drive speeds, and other considerations

Postby ucim » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:31 am UTC

So, after a fair amount of my computer handing me blue mustard when I wanted a login screen, I have concluded that my aging primary computer's hardware is going TU. I have a relatively new (but very basic) laptop which I use for travel (so I don't keep my data on it), and I am considering promoting it to be my main computer by adding an external screen and hard drive. It has USB 3.0, and I could mount the exteral drive as my home directory (saving the internal drive for the OS and software). When I travel, I could copy whatever files I wanted to the laptop's internal drive, leaving the rest safe at home.

How do you expect the access speeds of USB 3.0 and an external drive to compare with simply ponying up for a new desktop computer and its internal drive? (I also have HDMI and ethernet ports available on the laptop, but I doubt they'll do me any good here.)

Are there any other considerations to this setup? Any recommendations?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

KnightExemplar

Re: External hard drive speeds, and other considerations

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:51 am UTC

ucim wrote:So, after a fair amount of my computer handing me blue mustard when I wanted a login screen, I have concluded that my aging primary computer's hardware is going TU. I have a relatively new (but very basic) laptop which I use for travel (so I don't keep my data on it), and I am considering promoting it to be my main computer by adding an external screen and hard drive. It has USB 3.0, and I could mount the exteral drive as my home directory (saving the internal drive for the OS and software). When I travel, I could copy whatever files I wanted to the laptop's internal drive, leaving the rest safe at home.

How do you expect the access speeds of USB 3.0 and an external drive to compare with simply ponying up for a new desktop computer and its internal drive? (I also have HDMI and ethernet ports available on the laptop, but I doubt they'll do me any good here.)

Are there any other considerations to this setup? Any recommendations?

Jose

USB3.0 has slightly more latency on heavy benchmarks, but the throughput is pretty good. In fact, the USB3.0 throughput is faster than virtually every hard drive on the market (SSDs will probably saturate the link however). Personally speaking, I like hard drive docks because you can "upgrade" to a newer, awesomer hard drive when they come out. I also find that internal hard drives tend to be cheaper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817707335

The Toshiba 5TB is the cheapest per-TB drive I know of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149570. Although $150 is a bit steep for a single drive, if you plan to use it all its probably the best deal though. (Does anyone beside me use more than 2TB?)

Personally speaking, I'd buy the dock and then use your dead desktop's hard drive as an external. When it runs out of space (or when the hard drive kaput), you can buy another hard drive. Docks + Internal Drives are just a lot more flexible than external hard drives. Bonus points: your old hard drive still has all the data you left on it.

Note: I personally use slightly older technology (eSATA) for this purpose, so I can't give any tips on good docks. "UASP" apparently needs to be enabled on your computer and in the dock for maximum throughput... but again I have no experience with this.
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

KittenKaboodle

Postby KittenKaboodle » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:53 am UTC

KnightExemplar wrote:The Toshiba 5TB is the cheapest per-TB drive I know of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822149570. Although $150 is a bit steep for a single drive,

Oh, you kids these days! :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_ProFile ; "The 5 MB ProFile was Apple's first hard drive, and was introduced in September 1981 at a price of US$ 3499." (for some reference points, 1981 was four years after Star Wars, 12 years after Apollo 11, and about 35 years after the Manhattan Project)
Supposing one could figure out a way to connect a million of 5MB ProFile drives (if a million ever even existed) one could have had 5TB for a mere Billion or so US$ (I'm assuming a discount at that quantity)
Of course with a million drives, it is pretty much certain that one or more will have failed at any given moment, so redundant drives and error checking would up the ante a fair bit, not to mention the perhaps 100MW or so power plant to run the system. Still much less than the Manhattan or Apollo projects, but more than Star Wars' gross. $150 just doesn't seem so steep in comparison.

Why does any one need a drive a MILLION times larger that an drive hardly anyone needed a mere 34 years ago? That's nearly an order of magnitude more than Moore's law (not that secondary storage and transistor counts are really comparable)Also why does my PHONE want to download an upgrade larger than the capacity of a hard drive that, 34 years ago, would have cost as much as a nice car?

in closing: "You kids get off my lawn!"

ucim

Postby ucim » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:30 am UTC

KittenKaboodle wrote:Why does any one need a drive a MILLION times larger that an drive hardly anyone needed a mere 34 years ago?
Spoiler:
Well, there are a lot more cat videos now.
Spoiler:
To hold the software required to download and run the advertisements that websites want you to see.
Spoiler:
Because we've "progressed" from writing "hello world" in ASCII to creating a PDF which contains an embedded video which holds an animation of each of the letters flying in from one side of the screen, doing widdershins while changing colors and morphing fonts, and singing the resulting words in six part harmony. The world still doesn't answer back.
Spoiler:
Because of rule 34.
Spoiler:
Really, there are a lot of cat videos!
Spoiler:
Hard drive? Sheesh - don't you folk remember paper tape?
Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

KnightExemplar

Postby KnightExemplar » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:07 pm UTC

ucim wrote:
Spoiler:
Because of rule 34.
Spoiler:
Really, there are a lot of cat videos!

You really shouldn't have put those two together :-(
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

Return to “Hardware”