Buying a Tablet, Maybe

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Kalatash

Buying a Tablet, Maybe

Postby Kalatash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:38 am UTC

I think that tablets might not be the most liked computers on these boards, given the lack of ability to customize them. But I have an old iPad (kinda sorta taken from my mom) and an iPod Touch (old gift) that doesn't seem to like doing a lot of things anymore, and I am thinking of maybe getting something to replace them. Mainly, I sometimes have large PDFs that I want to read that are supposed to be books, but I hate taking up my screen with them when I am using them as references for something else that is taking up screen real estate, AND the vertical orientation bugs me when I am reading them on a horizontal screen.

However, I know I suck at researching things, especially consumer reviews of hardware. Most things only seem to cover the latest year of devices, and talk in terms that I don't care about. So, I turn to crowd-sourcing, though if you know really good customer review sites that cover a wide variety of devices I would appreciate that as well. That might help when I end up trying to figure out what I want in a laptop in the future.
G = T x M
T= M
G = (M) x M = M2
M = √E
G = (√E)2
G = E

KnightExemplar

Re: Buying a Tablet, Maybe

Postby KnightExemplar » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:02 am UTC

Well what do you care about in a Tablet?
First Strike +1/+1 and Indestructible.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Buying a Tablet, Maybe

Postby mosc » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:14 pm UTC

I recommend the following mattering on price:

Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (i3 128 GB with $$keyboard$$ and pen) ~$700
Runs Microsoft Windows 10 (real windows), basically any windows application, beautiful screen, keyboard is adequate as a laptop replacement and completely removable for tablet functions. Kickstand is awesome and pen makes it usable at native resolution unlike all other high res tablets.

Google Nexus 9" - $400
Top of the line android with all the support, bells and whistles, and lots of accessories. Traditional tablet done to the 9's.

Amazon Kindle Fire - $50
Works perfectly fine, 7" screen, which is a lot to ask at this price range.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Return to “Hardware”