HDMI to long distance

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

TimKrisp

HDMI to long distance

Postby TimKrisp » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:04 am UTC

I want to transfer an hdmi signal from my PC a long distance of around 200ft. Which hdmi amplifier is best for this? Thanks in advance!

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Re: HDMI to long distance

Postby Thesh » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:25 am UTC

HDMI cables aen't designed to handle those kinds of distances - I would look for an HDMI over TCP/IP adapter on amazon - there are plenty, but I can't recommend one, and you might have trouble finding someone familiar with them here (this is a small forum), and can only recommend checking reviews, and be aware that cheaper products are likely to do a poor job.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

TimKrisp

Postby TimKrisp » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:20 pm UTC

My friend suggested me to use something similar to these: https://bzbexpress.com/HDMI-Amplifier-and-Splitters/
Are these trusted brands?

Flumble
Yes Man

Postby Flumble » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:33 am UTC

I'm seeing prices that would make anyone regret not trying Thesh's suggestion first.
A HDMI-UTP extender rated for 200ft costs about $70 and you can use a run-off-the-mill* UTP cable (or Ethernet/Internet/LAN/Patch cable, whatever you call it) of 200ft for less than $30. Best part: if the setup turns out to be inadequate, you probably only need to return the adapter, because the cable can be reused for wired networking.
Also, last time I checked long HDMI cables were expensive as hell. (not only because of certification and gold-plated connectors, but also because they crammed 19 wires into a small cable)

Do note that cheap extenders over UTP only offer 1080p. If you need higher resolutions/framerates you need an extender sporting "HDBaseT", starting at $100.
I have no idea at what price the HDMI amplifiers/extenders guarantee anything about range and resolution.

[edit]
*cat6 is recommended though, and cat6a if you need HDBaseT over that long distance.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:39 am UTC

Need more information.

Where is the host PC? Where is the destination TV? What is between them? What do you want to accomplish by running an HDMI cable from the one to the other?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Tub

Postby Tub » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 am UTC

Where exactly does the cable go? You're saying 200 feet; that doesn't sound like it would stay in the same household. If it connects your PC to a monitor that's plugged into a different power network or leaves the building, then you do not want to use copper cable. You need galvanic isolation in either case (to avoid connecting different ground levels and/or to protect against lightning strikes), which means you need a fibre optic cable. Those are quite a bit more expensive, but not as expensive as the damage you can cause with a copper cable.

HDBaseT is a good future proof standard if you have dedicated ethernet cables. I haven't found anything for HDBaseT over fibre, though.

If both sender and receiver support it, also look for DisplayPort cables. Prices vary wildly; by including DP solutions you might find a bargain price somewhere that you might have missed otherwise.

Also look for "KVM Extender", those also route keyboard and mouse, if that's useful to you.

Return to “Hardware”