The Asus Eee thread

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

There can't be just me that owns one, surely? I've seen a lot of talk about them.

I'm writing this post on mine, and can honestly say that it's the best $400 I have ever spent on computer hardware. I can't wait to start the hacking, both software and hardware. I'm thinking about getting one of the cheap 2G Surf models for $200-something just to hack around on it.

Here are a few bits about it that aren't widely discussed in the review sites, but that might interest the more discerning (ahem) crowd here:

- One of the first things anyone here would look for: to get a terminal window, open the File Manager and then go to the Tools menu.
- The specific window manager setup, by default, is a lightweight version of KDE with a faux-WinXP appearance.
- Use of an external monitor does permit resolutions higher than 800x480, contrary to what some review sites imply. Caveat: Only in "External monitor only" mode, not in dual screen mode.
- The webcam sucks. It's good for videochat and the occasional 640x480 grainy shot, but let's be honest: the only real reason the 'Surf' models are cheaper is the reduced-capacity battery, because it sure as hell isn't this cheap-ass CCD. In fairness, I didn't expect any more; I think the only reason I was surprised it wasn't better was that everything else about the Eee seems to be surpassing my expectations.

Any more for any more? It'd be nice to hear people's experiences of trying out different OS (than Xandros, eeeXubuntu or WinXP, I mean), or hardware hacking. This computer is stuffed to the brim with win, victory etc.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

I caved and put XP on it (in a "small" version, of course) because I was too lazy to find a different linux, and was pissed about the read-only programs on it (I like the option to delete programs I dont want, like most of win xp:-)).
Anyway, I know the camera is cheap, but it does seem to run better with yahoo with XP than it did with either video option on the linux it came with... I keep forgetting to try to make a facebook video to see how it does with the .flv recording.. BTW, do you know of an FLV recorder that is standalone?
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby TheTankengine » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:03 am UTC

Xubuntu is supposed to work quite well out-of-the-box on the Eee.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

User avatar
Rippy
Posts: 2101
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:27 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, Can o' Duh

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:44 am UTC

What do you think about the screen size? I'm thinking of getting one of the 8 inch models in the 2nd quarter...

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:03 am UTC

Don't bother - the res is the same! The screen size itself is fine. If I had been in the mood to wait at all it'd have been for the >8" higher-res model coming out later this year.

Bug in stock OS: If you plug an external monitor in, then remove it and thereby switch back to LCD Only without changing any screen settings, the shutdown sequence will sometimes hang at the "Shutting Down..." screen, which should flicker up for less than a second or so during a normal shutdown from a clean desktop. Hard-reset does the trick.

User avatar
Rippy
Posts: 2101
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:27 pm UTC
Location: Ontario, Can o' Duh

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Rippy » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:10 pm UTC

Well, I need to wait several months to get enough money, so I might as well.

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby wst » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Well, I need to wait several months to get enough money, so I might as well.


Likewise- I'll be getting one in late August (depends on my GCSE results) and I'll get the larger screen one more than likely, despite res being the same. It'll hurt my eyes less in all-night working sessions :D
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 am UTC

Well, for those you'd hook it up to an external monitor, of course.

Update: Seen Windows XP running on one now, perfectly fine and dandy. Wouldn't recommend Vista though. I mean in general. ;)

Kasperl
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Kasperl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:38 pm UTC

I may be acquiring one soon, but I have a few questions.

Could someone who bought theirs in the US please look at the power adapter to see if it can also take 220 or 240V? My dad may buy one for me when he's in the States, since paying 499 USD is a lot better for me than paying 400 EUR here, and it's still not available in Holland either.

Also, how good is the keyboard? Due to some physical limitations (bad motor skills) I need to type everything in lectures instead of write. I'm looking for something lighter then my current 3kg notebook, but I need a keyboard I can work all day on. Literally, from 9 to 5 45 minutes of typing and 15 of resting. I can type on a laptop keyboard just fine, so key travel isn't too much of an issue for me, though good travel would be welcome. It's more about the spacing.

Also, since I'll be working on it all day, of good is the battery? And how easy is it to acquire a spare one? I haven't seen em in webstores yet, and I'm not about to buy a spare PC just for the second battery to take with me. Is there a way to shut down stuff on the device so it draws even less power than normal if I only needed it for a text editor like VIM?

Oh, and how easy is it to install other Linux apps, for instance stuff installed via aptitude?
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:20 pm UTC

Even if the US power adapter is only 120V, you should be able to get one that will work with 220-240V, since it's an external adapter. Looking at the Asus website, there's one available (with US style plug, I'm not sure how they are there) that supports 100-240V@50-60Hz. I don't know if it's the one that comes with it or not, but again, it's available.

User avatar
b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number
Posts: 2519
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm UTC
Location: Hong Kong

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby b.i.o » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Kasperl wrote:I may be acquiring one soon, but I have a few questions.

Could someone who bought theirs in the US please look at the power adapter to see if it can also take 220 or 240V? My dad may buy one for me when he's in the States, since paying 499 USD is a lot better for me than paying 400 EUR here, and it's still not available in Holland either.

Also, how good is the keyboard? Due to some physical limitations (bad motor skills) I need to type everything in lectures instead of write. I'm looking for something lighter then my current 3kg notebook, but I need a keyboard I can work all day on. Literally, from 9 to 5 45 minutes of typing and 15 of resting. I can type on a laptop keyboard just fine, so key travel isn't too much of an issue for me, though good travel would be welcome. It's more about the spacing.

Also, since I'll be working on it all day, of good is the battery? And how easy is it to acquire a spare one? I haven't seen em in webstores yet, and I'm not about to buy a spare PC just for the second battery to take with me. Is there a way to shut down stuff on the device so it draws even less power than normal if I only needed it for a text editor like VIM?

Oh, and how easy is it to install other Linux apps, for instance stuff installed via aptitude?


I've heard people say the keyboard is not the best for all day typing. However, maybe you could get a compact yet full size keyboard to take with you? (The Fatal1ty keyboard comes to mind--it's small, light, and has a laptop layout but full sized keys).

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby wst » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

Endless Mike wrote:Even if the US power adapter is only 120V, you should be able to get one that will work with 220-240V, since it's an external adapter. Looking at the Asus website, there's one available (with US style plug, I'm not sure how they are there) that supports 100-240V@50-60Hz. I don't know if it's the one that comes with it or not, but again, it's available.


You wouldn't even need an OEM one. Maplins sell multi-output power adapters that you can use to power anything from 5-19 Volts, with loads of adapters to fit different connections (iPods, Mobile Phones, Laptops, Nukes, Portable Hard Drives, etc). They're cheaper than OEM as well.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
Endless Mike
Posts: 3204
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:04 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

In any case, adapters exist that will allow you to take a US purchased Eee elsewhere.

Kasperl
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Kasperl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:48 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:I've heard people say the keyboard is not the best for all day typing. However, maybe you could get a compact yet full size keyboard to take with you? (The Fatal1ty keyboard comes to mind--it's small, light, and has a laptop layout but full sized keys).


Carrying something else along with me isn't something I'd like to consider, and there generally is barely enough room for my current 14.1" TFT on most tables at uni, never mind an extra keyboard. OTOH, even my reasonably full sized keyboard isn't fun for all-day typing, nothing is. Especially not in LaTeX with constant special chars and brackets and such. But thanks for the tip, I'll see if there's some way to try the keyboard here... Any idea what the specific problems where? Lack of travel, or lack of room?
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:53 am UTC

In your case, the latter: the keyboard has about the same travel as a normal laptop, but the physical size of the keys is smaller. I'd say the form factor is such that for the averagely-able typist, this is the smallest form-factor keyboard usable on a regular basis. You might want to see if you can get a hands-on before you decide.

User avatar
xyzzy
Meta-Titled
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:02 pm UTC
Location: Colossal Cave
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby xyzzy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

I should be ordering one in the next couple days. Planning to put a skinned down debian on it, or possibly Zenwalk or something. Then rip out everything I don't need, leave myself a browser, a wm, a couple editors, and LaTeX. Should be exactly what I need for portable use.

Edit: Well, it's ordered. Give it a month.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

simo
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am UTC
Location: In ma Bucket! (bournemouth uk)
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby simo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Ahh theres an eee thread.. how did I miss this. hehe
Edit: Well, it's ordered. Give it a month.


-Mine came 11 hours after I ordered it here in the uk. hah.

I'm using mine for coding on the go! I was up till 5am the other night trying to get some complex matrix trigonometry code working. Yet open up my eee on the train and bam!™ I've solved it all. I love the freedom of being able to fit a fully functional linux machine in my pocket. I took it to Venice this week for a business trip and managed to use it to write letters and fill the boring travel time.

The only thing thats annoyed me so far is that it doesn't like image files bigger than 5 mega pixels. The processor really craps out for a few seconds when I try to view 9 meg images off my camera or even the SSD.

My screen also has a small bright blotch, I don't notice it really, but it bugged me for a few seconds on the train today.

User avatar
xyzzy
Meta-Titled
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:02 pm UTC
Location: Colossal Cave
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby xyzzy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:29 pm UTC

simo wrote:Ahh theres an eee thread.. how did I miss this. hehe
Edit: Well, it's ordered. Give it a month.


-Mine came 11 hours after I ordered it here in the uk. hah.

I'm using mine for coding on the go! I was up till 5am the other night trying to get some complex matrix trigonometry code working. Yet open up my eee on the train and bam!™ I've solved it all. I love the freedom of being able to fit a fully functional linux machine in my pocket. I took it to Venice this week for a business trip and managed to use it to write letters and fill the boring travel time.

The only thing thats annoyed me so far is that it doesn't like image files bigger than 5 mega pixels. The processor really craps out for a few seconds when I try to view 9 meg images off my camera or even the SSD.

My screen also has a small bright blotch, I don't notice it really, but it bugged me for a few seconds on the train today.


UK here as well, but most places seem to be somewhat out of stock at the moment, so I'm having to wait a bit.

My plan is to kill some of the superfluous stuff, and then get TeX and a few extras onto it, along with a scheme implementation and so on. Being able to avoid Word when at school or the like will be beautifully useful.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

User avatar
longs
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby longs » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:21 pm UTC

I don't have one yet, but I find the prospects really alluring and....sexy.

Can anyone tell me why XP seems to be incompatible with the 2GB surf version? I see that this user has slimmed down XP to just over 600 MB, which should fit on the 2G hard drive...right? or is there something else about the processor or something which makes it incompatible with XP? Is it possible to run XP from an SD card?

Are there any other meaningful differences between the Surf and Galaxy Eees? How much smaller is the Surf's battery capacity? I plan to get an 8G SD card anyway, so the extra storage doesn't mean much to me, and neither does the webcam....but the price less $100 -does-.

EDIT: well, I searched around some more and found some answers. the battery capacity for the Surf models is shorter by 45 minutes. The 2G Surf version has RAM that's soldered instead of socketed, and so can't be upgraded. It also looks like you can indeed run any OS from an SD card.

Now, an even better question. Aesthetics aside, why not go for the Cloudbook instead?
the participle.

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:43 am UTC

Easy: the Eee is here now. If you need a product like this now or within the next (Cloudbook release date +4) months, I'd go for the Eee. Otherwise, wait and see: I expect there will be a large number of Eee clones/competitors, to the general benefit of the ultraportables market.

nathanaelbendavid
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby nathanaelbendavid » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

The Everex Cloudbook is scheduled to be released 1/25/08. Not far away. (Not sure about "(Cloudbook release date +4)" idea?)
I would say the potential gain on the cloudbook is the use of the Via c7 cpu vs. the Eee's intell mobile Celeron CPU. This is potentially a very arguable "advantage" as far as usage power goes. But I personally put high priority on energy efficiency etc and the c7 is supposed to do "better."

The solid state HD on the Eee is a nice "quality piece."
Not sure as the the general quality comparison of the physical device (as apposed to function) But I've heard great things on the "toughness" of the Eee.

There is also "talk" of a fanless Asus Eee to come out later with improved energy efficiency (inherent)

The price and portability of these is highly attractive to me.

I've always used windows, but the economics and practicality of Linux for this use is brilliant to me, I can't understand why people would want to load XP+ on this machine?

User avatar
TheTankengine
Our Fora-father
Posts: 3328
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:09 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, KY
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby TheTankengine » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:38 pm UTC

nathanaelbendavid wrote:I've always used windows, but the economics and practicality of Linux for this use is brilliant to me, I can't understand why people would want to load XP+ on this machine?

Sheep?
/total flamebait
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

Ubik
Posts: 1016
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:43 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Ubik » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 pm UTC

Eeepc is first laptop that I am seriously considering buying. It's not as pretty as MacBook Air, but I don't think they are really competing and Air is too expensive for me anyway. Lack of mechanical hard drive sounds cool too.

It seems that eeepc uses its SSD-card through some sort of IDE emulation, so it probably is not useful to use any file system optimized for memory cards. I just saw someone on some forum stating that ext2 is used on eeepc. That doesn't seem too bad in itself, because as far as I know ext2 does less writes to the disk because it has no journaling, and less writes to the card is good because it should slow down wearing of the memory card. I just wonder if there is anything else made specially to limit writes to the card to prevent it from wearing out?

Edit: Maybe it's now a little bit more readable...

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:
nathanaelbendavid wrote:I've always used windows, but the economics and practicality of Linux for this use is brilliant to me, I can't understand why people would want to load XP+ on this machine?

Sheep?
/total flamebait


Heh heh! Actually, my one friend who has put a slim install of XP on his Eee explained that the Eee was going to be a way to play "Quake II engine era" FPS games in a portable format as well as a way to work. In fact I know someone else who put Kingpin on theirs. :D So I suppose if you like PC games from that era and want an ultraportable way to play them... I know a lot of people who would probably prefer that to getting a DS, PSP etc.

About the "(Release date +4) months" thing for the Cloudbook - that was just a reflection of my personal preference to only be an early-ish adopter. I never buy something as soon as it's released. Wait a few months to at least see if there are any early dramas first! I might have waited for the Cloudbook but I got my Eee because I needed it now.

Oh, and I have a high opinion of the toughness of the Eee. Not least because I've already dropped it onto a hard floor with no apparent effect :oops:

Edit: MacBook Air? Freaking el-oh-el. $1700, no Ethernet, and $1000 more for the privilege of a solid-state disk? Large footprint despite slimness? No user-replaceable parts whatsoever? I say this as a happy owner of a (rather sick but trusty) PowerBook: the MacBook Air looks to be an overpriced gimmick for fashion victims. And it's not even the slimmest laptop ever made, just the slimmest available at the moment.

User avatar
JayDee
Posts: 3620
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 am UTC
Location: Most livable city in the world.
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby JayDee » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 am UTC

Eps wrote:Easy: the Eee is here now. If you need a product like this now or within the next (Cloudbook release date +4) months, I'd go for the Eee. Otherwise, wait and see: I expect there will be a large number of Eee clones/competitors, to the general benefit of the ultraportables market.
Yeah. That thought alone is quelling my desire to buy an Eee instead of this years textbooks.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:I believe that everything can and must be joked about.
Hawknc wrote:I like to think that he hasn't left, he's just finally completed his foe list.

simo
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am UTC
Location: In ma Bucket! (bournemouth uk)
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby simo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:41 am UTC

lol.

So this afternoon I pull out my laptop in the pub when I'm with some of the UKs best 3d software devs. (yeah my trips to the pub are becoming very quaternion orientated)

The only bad crit is I got was the whole debian thing. Which sparked a massive linux vs windows dev debate. :/ ... windows won. All that I extrapolated was that... that small pcs DON'T attract womens. hehe.

(apologies for drunk posting)

-Slimo

x

User avatar
longs
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby longs » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:18 am UTC

I wanted to deeply explore the possibility of using XP for the Eee because I've never used Linux, and in case I were to find Linux unbearable and revert to the OS I've used for years. It was a pretty hypothetical question upon reflection, and I doubt I'll have that much trouble. I was also simply interested in learning how vast are the capabilities of this machine.

So yeah, I really want one now. I have quite enough cash, but to fill the void I've already signed up for this psychological study at my university that pays respondents (quite richly, too). it's rather desperate, sketchy stuff I admit, but who can resist such attractive computer porn?

I've actually heard that the Via processor will perform as well as if not worse than the Eee, since it's a 'low-voltage' processor, in spite of its 1.2 Ghz versus the Eee's 900 Mhz underclocked to 630. In any case, Acer plans to release its own subnotebook within the next few months to compete with the Eee et al.
the participle.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:16 am UTC

Kasperl wrote:I may be acquiring one soon, but I have a few questions.

Could someone who bought theirs in the US please look at the power adapter to see if it can also take 220 or 240V? My dad may buy one for me when he's in the States, since paying 499 USD is a lot better for me than paying 400 EUR here, and it's still not available in Holland either.

Also, how good is the keyboard? Due to some physical limitations (bad motor skills) I need to type everything in lectures instead of write. I'm looking for something lighter then my current 3kg notebook, but I need a keyboard I can work all day on. Literally, from 9 to 5 45 minutes of typing and 15 of resting. I can type on a laptop keyboard just fine, so key travel isn't too much of an issue for me, though good travel would be welcome. It's more about the spacing.

Also, since I'll be working on it all day, of good is the battery? And how easy is it to acquire a spare one? I haven't seen em in webstores yet, and I'm not about to buy a spare PC just for the second battery to take with me. Is there a way to shut down stuff on the device so it draws even less power than normal if I only needed it for a text editor like VIM?

Oh, and how easy is it to install other Linux apps, for instance stuff installed via aptitude?

The adapter is 100-240v for the one I got in the US. The spacing is kinda tight for me, but I can use it.. when I want to do alot of typing on it, I do have a full size USB keyboard for it (an older mac one I have in the house). I run a really small XP on it, and it's ok, I just wish the base OS that it came with was not read only (it really was designed for idiots in that regard).
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
davean
Site Ninja
Posts: 2498
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:50 am UTC
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby davean » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

Eps wrote:be a way to play "Quake II engine era" FPS games in a portable format


Well, QII would play fine on linux.

Kasperl
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:06 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Kasperl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

westcydr wrote:The adapter is 100-240v for the one I got in the US. The spacing is kinda tight for me, but I can use it.. when I want to do alot of typing on it, I do have a full size USB keyboard for it (an older mac one I have in the house). I run a really small XP on it, and it's ok, I just wish the base OS that it came with was not read only (it really was designed for idiots in that regard).

Thanks for looking, that saves me a lot of trouble.

How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?

Oh, and

Eps wrote:Oh, and I have a high opinion of the toughness of the Eee. Not least because I've already dropped it onto a hard floor with no apparent effect :oops:


What kind of height? And at what angle?
Just another forum newbie, asking all the stupid questions again.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Kasperl wrote:
How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?


The installed OS and software is read only, but you can add things to it.. My issue is that you cannot delete any of the programs it comes with without having to futz around a lot. If you upgrade software, you will have the original copy still on the tiny tiny SSD..
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

simo
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am UTC
Location: In ma Bucket! (bournemouth uk)
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby simo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:46 pm UTC

westcydr wrote:
Kasperl wrote:
How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?


The installed OS and software is read only, but you can add things to it.. My issue is that you cannot delete any of the programs it comes with without having to futz around a lot. If you upgrade software, you will have the original copy still on the tiny tiny SSD..


Its not too much hassle. I'm just doing it now. Theres a simple tutorial on the WIKI.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

simo wrote:
westcydr wrote:
Kasperl wrote:
How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?


The installed OS and software is read only, but you can add things to it.. My issue is that you cannot delete any of the programs it comes with without having to futz around a lot. If you upgrade software, you will have the original copy still on the tiny tiny SSD..


Its not too much hassle. I'm just doing it now. Theres a simple tutorial on the WIKI.

I can count the number of times I have used a command line interface in the past 15 years on one hand. I'm guessing you are a bit more savvy in that regard.. Besides, I video chat with yahoo messenger, not skype:-)
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

simo
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:17 am UTC
Location: In ma Bucket! (bournemouth uk)
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby simo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:17 pm UTC

westcydr wrote:
simo wrote:
westcydr wrote:
Kasperl wrote:
How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?


The installed OS and software is read only, but you can add things to it.. My issue is that you cannot delete any of the programs it comes with without having to futz around a lot. If you upgrade software, you will have the original copy still on the tiny tiny SSD..


Its not too much hassle. I'm just doing it now. Theres a simple tutorial on the WIKI.

I can count the number of times I have used a command line interface in the past 15 years on one hand. I'm guessing you are a bit more savvy in that regard.. Besides, I video chat with yahoo messenger, not skype:-)


Hehe fair enough. If I get time in the summer Ill create a simple gui application that does it. Although its pretty dangerous writing a script like that when it has such a destructive potential.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

simo wrote:
westcydr wrote:
simo wrote:
westcydr wrote:
Kasperl wrote:
How is the base OS read-only? I thought it was easy enough to get a Linux command line, and use aptitude or some other package manager to download the rest of the software you need?


The installed OS and software is read only, but you can add things to it.. My issue is that you cannot delete any of the programs it comes with without having to futz around a lot. If you upgrade software, you will have the original copy still on the tiny tiny SSD..


Its not too much hassle. I'm just doing it now. Theres a simple tutorial on the WIKI.

I can count the number of times I have used a command line interface in the past 15 years on one hand. I'm guessing you are a bit more savvy in that regard.. Besides, I video chat with yahoo messenger, not skype:-)


Hehe fair enough. If I get time in the summer Ill create a simple gui application that does it. Although its pretty dangerous writing a script like that when it has such a destructive potential.

yup, can't trust anyone these days..
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby wst » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:20 pm UTC

westcydr wrote:(A load of quotes)
yup, can't trust anyone these days..


It goes without saying that you'll all be archiving the SSD on some other media before trying the program out though ;)
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
westcydr
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:20 pm UTC
Location: By my computer
Contact:

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby westcydr » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:36 pm UTC

wst wrote:
westcydr wrote:(A load of quotes)
yup, can't trust anyone these days..


It goes without saying that you'll all be archiving the SSD on some other media before trying the program out though ;)

Not really. I am not using that OS, and every file I have on it is already on my main laptop anyway.. the OS has a full backup on the disk that came with it..
---------------------------
ICQ/AIM 5683738
יששכר
"Who needs a quote in a signature, anyways?"

User avatar
Eps
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby Eps » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:47 am UTC

OS update: I finally installed eeeXubuntu onto the SSD (previously I had it as the Live image running off a 4Gb USB flashdrive). This was a good choice. There are a few tweaks necessary after you install, but hardly at all; you can just go to the eeeXubuntu wiki on eeeuser.com to get an idea for what's necessary.

It's so nice to start the computer up and have the OS look as serious as the hardware is. ;)

User avatar
zombie_monkey
Posts: 644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:26 pm UTC
Location: Bulgaria

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby zombie_monkey » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:42 am UTC

Back in the summer I bought a laptop, Toshiba Satellite L40-12K, it has an Atheros AR5BXB63, and I was looking for way to make it run under Linux. I found out about madwifi and the Atheros HAL, and a posting by Sam Leffler that he is working on including support for this particular model in the next HAL version. It does work with ndiswrapper now, although it needs a version newer than the one in the Ubuntu repositories.* So anyway:
While I was looking for info on this model, I found a forum for fans of the then-upcoming EeePC and they had discovered it will have the same Atheros model. I thought it's strange that they would use one that has no Linux driver, and wondered how they would make it run. So now that the EeePC is out, how did they do it? (and yes, the EeePCs that are for sale and not prototypes still have the same model). What does eeeXubuntu do?

* And apparently Ubuntu thinks that if it's an Atheros, the Atheros HAL and madwifi should work, and you need to manually add a blacklist for the ath_hal kernel module, the restricted drivers interface doesn't do the job, and even then it still appears as an "alternative driver", I guess I'm doing something wrong.


EDIT: Apparently eeeXubuntu has a modified MadWifi. I still wonder about the default Linux of the Eee, though. And I thought the problem is that the Atheros HAL doesn't support it, I don't know what madwifi can do about this... this is crazy complicated :D
EDIT: It is a patch that modifies the binary HAL, there's an argument whether the madwifi guys should have made this available at all here: http://madwifi.org/ticket/1679. Some anonymous person with an @atheros.com email sent this to the madwifi guys, bypassing Sam Leffler. And the patch is a mysterious binary blob or something. And it used to remove his copyright notice. This keeps getting weirder.

nathanaelbendavid
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:37 pm UTC

Re: The Asus Eee thread

Postby nathanaelbendavid » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

Here is a question for anybody who actually OWNS an Asus Eee. I am considering getting one to take to school for notes etc... the price/weight/energy use are the main reasons for considering this device... I am just wondering if anybody else has used this for this purpose (i.e.. taking notes etc)


Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests