How have you destroyed a computer?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

taptap
I laughed so hard i fell out of my concubine

How have you destroyed a computer?

Postby taptap » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:27 am UTC

Seperate from the "Magic Smoke" Thread, I'm creating this one in hopes that maybe someone has the same stories of human error that caused them to ruin a piece of electronics in a terrible, saddening way that I have. I welcome you to post pictures, if possible, but certainly it is not required.

Here goes my heartwrenching tales of distress...

Whoop-Ass Inside Athlon Destruction
A long time ago, me and my friend brian just spent all of his saved-up-forever allowance money and built his brand-new Athlon 450 (Socket-based) and we were quite happy with it's performance over my PII 350. He also bought 256mb of ram, a ridiculous amount (to us) at the time, whereas mine only had 64. With his 16mb 3Dfx voodoo banshee AGP, a freshly installed Windows 98se, a new case with a sticker that said "AMD: WHOOP-ASS INSIDE!" computer still laying open on it's side, we were eager and ready to conquer the amazing graphics of Half Life, Need For Speed III, Sierra's Pro Pilot, and MS Flight Sim 98. It ran great, all night until we went to sleep, then i... well, in the middle of the night while i was staying over, woke halfway up to go to the bathroom. You see, brian slept in the living room, and had his desk set up on the wall next to the hallway. I couldn't see since all the lights were out, and since by default win98 put the screen in sleep mode after 30 minutes, the room was totally dark. I truged my way around the living room until a loud crunch, instantly followed by the blitzing pain in my foot caused me to scream until the lights came on. lo and behold, I stepped into that case, snapping the GFX card, memory, Heat sink mounts, and soundcard. I couldn't have come down on it at a more perfect angle. Even with my sock on, i cut through it and sliced my heel a little bit, but we didn't notice that until later after we tried feverishly to get that fucking computer going. it wasn't even 20 hours old and it was FUBAR. Gone. Done for.

Hey didn't davean have some computer that he dropped a book into, larson? Or what was up with that? Either way, post your stories of destruction. I'll post more as I remember them.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

Aluminus

Re: How have you destroyed a computer?

Postby Aluminus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:09 am UTC

I think this says just about everything.
Spoiler:
Formatting...WTF.jpg
You have GOT to be kidding me!
Formatting...WTF.jpg (550.49 KiB) Viewed 12734 times

Spoiler:
RAMcram5.JPG
RAM melting...
RAMcram5.JPG (217.16 KiB) Viewed 12719 times

Spoiler:
cpu palpitations.JPG
ONOES!
cpu palpitations.JPG (304.42 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:44 am UTC

YEAAAHH!!!! Those pics made me cringe---

and the... um... scary artifacting/GPU fuckler in your winXP format looks similar to a client's computer I once had where the onboard video traces had a bad connection and would intermittently flash weird colors on the screen and then seize up!
Last edited by taptap on Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Davean wrote:Only the bots can see the entire forum the mods have dedicated to bashing taptap for asking questions with obvious answers. It should look good when his next interviewer Googles him before the interview.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:57 am UTC

taptap wrote:Hey didn't davean have some computer that he dropped a book into, larson? Or what was up with that? Either way, post your stories of destruction. I'll post more as I remember them.

I have a 43U 4-post APC rack for my computers; the upper half is book shelves. The 4U case was pulled out (sliding rail are common on rack mount computers and are generally required by any colo) to be worked on after a bad incident involving rather shoddy wall power. All well and good. The computer was mucho-unhappy but running with some tweaks and I was hoping I could at least finish HL2EP2 before I need to replace a lot of parts and retask it. Key to playing HL2EP2 was the only half decent GPU in the apartment, my old GF6800GT.

Well, I didn't bother sliding the cover back on or pushing it back into the rack. I sat down to play HL2EP2. Some time later (not long into HL2EP2) I moved onto other things for a bit and through some events I don't recall the details of, my "Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics" (which weights more then a few kgs) plummets 15Us into the case shearing a few capacitors off the GPU and losing it's red channel.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:05 am UTC

did you cry?

actually, you probably just finished the game in Green/Blue, didn't you?

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:07 am UTC

taptap wrote:did you cry?

actually, you probably just finished the game in Green/Blue, didn't you?

I played for a bit more then considered soldering them back on, couldn't find one of them so just got back to real work.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:13 am UTC

amazing. So, off topic, do you use rack-mounted computers for not only running the fora, but also as your everyday gaming/whatever machine? If so, how does one go about doing so? I'm sure it costs good money, but with the amount of PC's I have, it sounds like a very economical use of space...

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:15 am UTC

taptap wrote:amazing. So, off topic, do you use rack-mounted computers for not only running the fora, but also as your everyday gaming/whatever machine? If so, how does one go about doing so? I'm sure it costs good money, but with the amount of PC's I have, it sounds like a very economical use of space...

Yah, everything but my laptop is racked. I moved to racks when living in a door room at college. One 43U 4 post was enoguh to stick everything but my cloths on. In the post-your-setup thread there is a photo of some of it.

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:31 am UTC

Hail of gunfire.

No, seriously. A fucking hail of gunfire. I'll look for pics later.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

I want to see some "Lasse vs Teknologie" in here (If you don't know who Lasse is, go look on YouTube)
So much funnier seeing a computer destroyed while one is spitting out Norwegian expletives.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

Summer, '99.
Windows, '98.

Friend was poking about with my registry.

"CLSID?" He said. "You don't need that."

*delete*

49% of the registry disappeared. As if millions of lines of code cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

I cried "Richard!" (For that was his name.) "Richard" I said, "You've deleted half the registry--the good half too!"

He replies, with a grin: "I have an idea", before reaching over and pulling the plug, hard. A spark flies from the socket. The monitor turns blank with a pzew. That was the last time I ever saw my Windows 98 interface. When we switched it back on, the BIOS was all like, "whut? There ain't nothin' t'boot, consarn it."

The computer was a hand-me-down, so no Windows CD or back-up disk. So my friend turned a valuable (at the time) piece of equipment into a cumbersome doorstop in two swift movements: one finger on the delete key, and the other hand on the plug.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

simo

Postby simo » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:35 pm UTC

I water cooled my last rig. Didn't know that the 7900 cards had exposed chips that got hot for no reason.

My girlfriend standing next to it goes "do you smell burning?". ... BOOM! a big gout of blue flame takes her eyebrows off. :D

Day before a milestone on a game I was working on. Boss was not happy.

manthursday

Postby manthursday » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:08 pm UTC

First family computer which we got a short while after Win 95 came out broke after about 6 months. Being a teenager I obviously had the expertise to diagnose and fix the problem. Sure enough after a quick inspection I found the problem. The circuit breaker had flipped out on the PSU. Tutting at the stupidity of the adults who had missed this I flicked the switch back and BANG, big cloud of smoke. Turns out it was actually the US/UK 120V/240V power switch.

socynicalsohip

Postby socynicalsohip » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:36 pm UTC

manthursday wrote:Turns out it was actually the US/UK 120V/240V power switch.

I can relate, there's nothing more gut wrenching than the smell of burning capacitors when you're just plugged £7k's worth of 110V printer into a 230V socket. Man I still havn't lived that one down.

Also when doing some custom jiggery pokery on some quite expensive NICs misreading the polarity on the diagram and incorrectly connecting the edge connector. The NIC in question detroyed several motherboards before I stopped my destructive rampage and questioned my own handywork.

Fortunatly I only deal with software builds now :-D
It's ok I wasn't using my civil liberties anyhow...

Subscribe to my Choon-cast at http://whoheshouldbe.libsyn.com/rss

shifuimam

Postby shifuimam » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:40 am UTC

I put a battery in a laptop, and it started smoking. And the motherboard melted.

I came close to destroying a computer once.

I had to replace the motherboard in my PowerEdge 400sc (still my only desktop computer). I went to remove the heatsink from the processor (keep in mind this was the first time I had removed a processor in my life), and it wouldn't budge. I twisted ever so slightly, pulled, and it popped out.

I looked down, and the processor wasn't there. The fucking thing had stuck to the heatsink from the thermal pads that Dell uses in their hardware. After I got my heart and lungs working properly again, I saw that no pins were FUBAR, pulled the processor off the heatsink, and dropped it into the new board.

Boring. Sorry.
I'm a girl. I'm also a geek. I listen to Dragonforce a lot. By "a lot", I mean almost nonstop. I have a lot of shit on the internet. I also have a lot of geeky crap.

taptap

Postby taptap » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:30 am UTC

I saw that recent post of the Macbook (or whatever that was) that you made concerning the melted mobo... sucks doesn't it? i have a similar story concerning a Dell Inspiron 5150...

RIP LCD, LOL

I had to replace the mobo in the inspiron due to a previous owner's BIOS flashing. Long story short, he bricked it, and 60 dollars later I was the proud owner of a new mobo, laptop, and everything. I got the whole shebang, 'cept I had to do the dirty work. After piecing it together, carefully, My final task was to connect the LCD/TFT/whatever monitor to the Video card. The initial plug-in felt, well, crunchy. Crunchy is never a good thing with computers. Cereal, maybe. Computers on the other hand, crunchy induces stomachaces. I thought maybe I had bent some pins, or maybe it just fit in badly. Anyway, I decided hey, if i didn't put it in properly, it just won't turn on and I can diagnose from there.

Wrong!

Upon plugging the Charger and battery in, and hitting the power button, all hell broke loose. The Screen lit up bright white, made a shrieking noise, and then proceeded to go haywire with all the colors of the spectrum blue, cyan, red, magenta, yellow, black, orange, in horizontal lines violently and randomly flashing across the screen, then coming to a grand finale... which was both horrifying and beautiful. It left the screen making a hissing noise, with the brightest red stripe in the center of the screen I had ever seen (literally, it looked to be roughly 200% of the screen's maximum brightness) and then boom. I heard a crackling sound, the screen and laptop shut off, and all that was left was the smell of burning and a very prominent dark blue-ish stripe about 1 1/2 inches wide that is still on the screen today. I believe it to be very, very permanent.

Prognosis: Well, prior to the laptop project me and my friend had (okay this will sound weird) made a candle. But for fun, we filled the candle gel with staples, so the end result was a candle with clear gel that had staples suspended in it. A very unfortunate staple must have stuck to my shirt and fell in the laptop while putting it back together, because I'll be damned if it wasn't right there- sandwiched in between the female connector of the video card and the male connector of the screen. It had shorted out all of the pins on one side. This explained my crunchy.

I still don't get how this was possible. I know the principles on how TFT/LCD screens work, and I just don't understand how that much current could be flowing through that video card in order to fry it so incredibly.
Last edited by taptap on Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:32 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

d3adf001

Postby d3adf001 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:33 am UTC

when a part breaks i normally strip all the usefull parts off, caps, connector, toroids so all i have left is random parts and a pcb with smd parts on it that i dont need or know what they are. as for breaking them i havent yet. all hardware failure

Sc4Freak

Postby Sc4Freak » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:26 am UTC

enk

Postby enk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:31 am UTC

Priceless :lol:

Srsly, wtf? I mean W.. T.. F..?!
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:42 am UTC

Unfortunately, I see no actual destruction.

Other than that, awesome!
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

DJorgensen

Postby DJorgensen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

When I was in high school there was about 5 of us that got pulled out of classes to scrap about 200 old macs (Apple Macintosh Classic II's and Macintosh LC 475's). My friends took a few of them home and then started up a video tape, got drunk, and went at them with pickaxes. I uh... stayed home and remained antisocial... yey!

Other than that, last fall I picked up a new macbook and my girlfriend spilled soup on it (only seconds after I told her not to). It still works fine, smelled like chicken noodle for a week though. :)
Oh and my friend Catherine likes to sit on my computer, and then hack hairballs on it, but thats yet to actually damage anything...
trap: a device in which something (usually an animal) can be caught and penned.

Compatriot

Postby Compatriot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

Years ago I had a 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird. You know what I'm talking about - that amazing processor and space heater all in one unit? It was a beast.

Unfortunately I got the grand idea of beta testing Windows 2003. It had a nice 6 month trial and, quite frankly, that should be plenty of time to test the system. Ordered up a copy, it came in the mail, and I put it in.

Holy shit it booted! No, seriously, it booted and everything went great until the six month trial period ran out and it wouldn't let me do anything. I had expected this result and planned ahead of time, had the tools ready to wipe and start over with XP. I had even left my original XP on the other partition so I could boot back into XP when 2003 expired. No such luck there. It wouldn't let me choose my OS or change the OS boot options in any way.

Whatever, right? Grabbed the boot floppy I use for reformatting and set the thing to null write the entire hard drive overnight. I had a 40Gig and an 80Gig hard drive at the time, and it took about a week to go through both hard drives. (Silly me setting the program to do multiple sweeps, right?)

Satisfied the floppy had finished doing its happy dance of nulls, nulls, magics, and nulls, I removed the floppy, rebooted, and lo and behold if it didn't boot straight the hell back into 2003.

If you've ever seen a Jewish kid's hair stick out, you can just imagine what I looked like (minus the yamika cause I'm not actually Jewish).

I totally lost it, went and grabbed a soda, and rebooted the system again. Looked into the setup options, and sure enough, both my XP and 2003 OS and their files were intact!! Load me up some DOS, browse away, and I could see everything that should not have been there.

Tried again with a burned CD this time and found the same result.

Tried several more times with the help of a friend and we still couldn't get it off. I even called our resident neighbor tech guru (I now work for my father, and he's our tech support guy), and even he couldn't get it off even though all of his tools worked for everything else.

After several weeks of trying to nuke the system with different null writers and bootable cds (even lunix couldn't wipe the HDs), I pulled both hard drives out, purchases two brand-spanking-new hard drives, and started fresh - this time without 2003. The system never hiccuped afterwards, even running a GeForce MX440 into the ground in the years afterwards, but we beat the everlasting tar out of the hard drives.

Neither my friends, neighbor, nor I have never in the past twenty years seen anything like what that system did, and we still can offer no explanation as to how or why.

On top of it all? I still use the Boot CD to wipe my other computers... figure that one out...

El Senor Fruit Swing

Postby El Senor Fruit Swing » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 pm UTC

Have my babies... please.
Raiku wrote: Oh, I 'Falcon Punched' a tree for the hell of it, and it's still quite bloody...

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Compatriot wrote:Years ago I had a 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird. You know what I'm talking about - that amazing processor and space heater all in one unit? It was a beast.

Unfortunately I got the grand idea of beta testing Windows 2003. It had a nice 6 month trial and, quite frankly, that should be plenty of time to test the system. Ordered up a copy, it came in the mail, and I put it in.

Holy shit it booted! No, seriously, it booted and everything went great until the six month trial period ran out and it wouldn't let me do anything. I had expected this result and planned ahead of time, had the tools ready to wipe and start over with XP. I had even left my original XP on the other partition so I could boot back into XP when 2003 expired. No such luck there. It wouldn't let me choose my OS or change the OS boot options in any way.

Whatever, right? Grabbed the boot floppy I use for reformatting and set the thing to null write the entire hard drive overnight. I had a 40Gig and an 80Gig hard drive at the time, and it took about a week to go through both hard drives. (Silly me setting the program to do multiple sweeps, right?)

Satisfied the floppy had finished doing its happy dance of nulls, nulls, magics, and nulls, I removed the floppy, rebooted, and lo and behold if it didn't boot straight the hell back into 2003.

If you've ever seen a Jewish kid's hair stick out, you can just imagine what I looked like (minus the yamika cause I'm not actually Jewish).

I totally lost it, went and grabbed a soda, and rebooted the system again. Looked into the setup options, and sure enough, both my XP and 2003 OS and their files were intact!! Load me up some DOS, browse away, and I could see everything that should not have been there.

Tried several more times with the help of a friend and we still couldn't get it off. I even called our resident neighbor tech guru (I now work for my father, and he's our tech support guy), and even he couldn't get it off even though all of his tools worked for everything else.

After several weeks of trying to nuke the system with different null writers and bootable cds (even lunix couldn't wipe the HDs), I pulled both hard drives out, purchases two brand-spanking-new hard drives, and started fresh - this time without 2003. The system never hiccuped afterwards, even running a GeForce MX440 into the ground in the years afterwards, but we beat the everlasting tar out of the hard drives.

Neither my friends, neighbor, nor I have never in the past twenty years seen anything like what that system did, and we still can offer no explanation as to how or why.

On top of it all? I still use the Boot CD to wipe my other computers... figure that one out...

Do you still have the affected drives? It would be quite interesting if you forwarded them to my lab for forensic analysis.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

Brokenkeyboard

Postby Brokenkeyboard » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Mostly, I've done some pretty typical things:

stepping on a laptop - broke the LCD
booting for debugging without CPU heatsink firmly attached
adding/removing PCI card while psu on/pc off - touched the metal backplate to the mainboard, fried some chips

More surprising, however, is what happened to my old desktop. It was a roughly cubical case, with two 120mm fans on the top, and the mainboard below them, laying flat. (The drives and stuff were underneath that.) It was on the floor next to my desk, and my roommate at one point knocked a mostly-full can of fresca off the desk and onto the computer, with the liquid going through the fans and all over the mainboard. Seemed pretty fatal.

HOWEVER after drying it all off and rebooting, it was still mostly functional. The ATA controller never worked quite right after that, but the rest of it still did, and I used it for another year or two after that, with a PCI disk controller instead. I have no idea if it was the fact that it was totally spread into minute droplets by the fans, some special non-conductive properties of fresca, the fact that it was a relatively small amount of liquid (probably cleaned ~10-20ml out of the case), or what, but I still find it pretty unusual.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:36 pm UTC

Brokenkeyboard wrote:booting for debugging without CPU heatsink firmly attached

I did that with my P4 2.4GHz--except that the heatsink wasn't there at all. Didn't do a thing to it, it still runs fine :P.

Brokenkeyboard

Postby Brokenkeyboard » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:I did that with my P4 2.4GHz--except that the heatsink wasn't there at all. Didn't do a thing to it, it still runs fine :P.

well, this was an Athlon XP. poor throttling and no heatspreader. I just kind of sat the heatsink on top of it. not really sufficient.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

Ah, yes. That'd do it. P4's could stand up to a ton of heat.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

P4s also slowed down if they got too hot. For quite some time, Athlons (even into the XP line) simply fried, as illustrated in a Tom's Hardware video from the time where they removed the heat sink from various chips to see what happened.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:51 pm UTC

Compatriot wrote:Years ago I had a 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird. You know what I'm talking about - that amazing processor and space heater all in one unit? It was a beast.

"format c:" from dos?
"A witty saying proves nothing" - Voltaire

enk

Postby enk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:15 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Brokenkeyboard wrote:booting for debugging without CPU heatsink firmly attached

I did that with my P4 2.4GHz--except that the heatsink wasn't there at all. Didn't do a thing to it, it still runs fine :P.

I recently did that with my P4 3.0 GHz - heatsink but no fan on it. I haven't tested the CPU afterwards, so maybe it's fine, but the mobo has never turned on since :evil:
phlip wrote:Ha HA! Recycled emacs jokes.

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

Sweet jesus of hardware abuse....now I want to try. I wonder if you could to that using the heat of the CPU. Prescott+Oil=French fries? (and profit?)

Compatriot

Postby Compatriot » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:31 pm UTC

wing wrote:
Compatriot wrote:Years ago I had a 1.4Ghz Athlon Thunderbird. You know what I'm talking about - that amazing processor and space heater all in one unit? It was a beast...

Do you still have the affected drives? It would be quite interesting if you forwarded them to my lab for forensic analysis.

I wish. I would've happily sent them too, seeing as they had no personal data (at the time, I didn't even use my check card online). Chucked in the trashcan after smashing them.

Any idea what might have caused it?

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I would conjecture that the part of the circuitry that actually controls writes to the drive failed, but gave no signs of failure and left the read mechanism unaffected. It would then look as though you were overwriting the existing data, but nothing would actually get laid down to the disk surface - when you came to check it, it then just read back the data that had never actually been overwritten.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

jspenguin

Postby jspenguin » Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

I had an old 486 motherboard that I wanted to have some fun with. I took an old power cord, hooked one end to ground and another to a screwdriver and went to every chip and socket I could find. I had to reset the breaker numerous times.

The aftermath:

Here are two videos (I edited out the trips to the breaker box). The short one just has the middle cut out.
Video (short) (1:06, 10MB)
Video (full) (6:23, 50MB)

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:56 am UTC

:shock:

Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On

Postby Mr. Beck » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:26 am UTC

I once say I guy who had hooked the output of a wall plug to alternating prongs on VGA, Serial, and Parallel ports. The thought of sending 120V Ac to a mobo/videocard makes me giggle inside.

akashra

Postby akashra » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:16 am UTC

I've seen numerous systems destroyed from people switching 230V switches to 110V, but the best was done deliberately.

About 10 years ago I was on work experience, working at a company who then made pair gain systems. Of the parts they would need to often use included very large capacitors - you need quite a large sudden discharge to ring an old style analogue phone, believe it or not. On my first day working there I was warned to be careful handling these, and to discharge them before picking them up, as they could give you one hell of a punch. It was only a few days into working there I heard a large bang and someone getting shocked by one - apparently it happened all the time - and wasn't a nice experience to be on the recieving end of.

So anyway, 'for fun', we decided to erm... 'test' a motherboard that was due for throwing out. Lets ignore the figures for a moment, because I cant remember them - but basically, this involved removing a low value uF capacitor (ie, one that sits maybe a few mm high top to bottom), with one that was... well, this capacitor was maybe 2.5cm wide and 10cm high.

It was a mighty bang, and I swear there were a ICs blown clear off the PCB. Remember, these things are designed to discharge quickly (if the circuit isn't designed to slowly discharge).
( find / -name \*base\* -exec chown us : us { } \ ; )

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:18 am UTC

enk wrote:

Priceless :lol:

Srsly, wtf? I mean W.. T.. F..?!

rofl!
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

pyroman

Postby pyroman » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:49 am UTC

i have two stories of computer death... the first time was with my old computer. I had wanted to build my own but my dad wouldn't let me so i ended up with a dell. whatever. Anyways about 5 years back i had had a palm pilot. the ol m130. It had gotten quite beaten up and stopped working about 2 or 3 years ago from that point. So one day i decide to open it up and see with i can do to fix it. I soldered everything back together like it was supposed to be and low and behold it worked. So i was using it again for the next couple of weeks when one night after being up for 20 something hours at this point, i was trying to charge it but for some reason it don't not want to do so. Now for those of you who don't know this particular model used a combination charging and syncing cradle which plugged into the wall socket via an ac adapter and into a usb port on my computer (both of which were connected at this point in time) Being the engineering type that i am when it didn't charge i started investigating. I soon found that one of the pins on the cradle had gotten slightly bent so i thought that perhaps this is why it wasn't charging. Running on no sleep as i was, i decide that i would be a good idea to take a pair of needle noise pliers (which happened to be sitting on my desk) and try to bend the pin back into place (mind you everything is still connected and my computer is on). i then slipped and shorted out one of the pins producing a happy little blue arc followed promptly by my computer turning off never to boot from that motherboard again.

On the plus side of this i was able to use this as an excuse to build my own computer. Fortunately i was able to salvage a lot of the parts including: the hard drive, ram, processor and video card.

My other story was my computer was giving me some problems. everything was running really slow and what not so i decided instead of driving myself crazy i would just nuke it (aka reformat) and reinstall windows. No problem i figured having done so at least a dozen times before. I had 2 hard drives at this point. an 80 gb c drive and a 500 gb drive for data storage. So i copied all the important data from the C over to my other drive and then went to reformat. being in a rush as i was running late to class, when i went to reformat the drive i just looked at the leading numbers in the capacity and saw 465. my c drive happened to have 46.5 gb of space free on it so i went ok there it is and clicked format completely forgetting that the 500 gb drive had a formated capacity of 465gb. Needless to say i soon realized that i had wiped the wrong drive and lost all of my data. = ( and since i was in a hurry i had cut/pasted instead of copy pasted thinking it would make it easier to keep track of what i already transfered. I almost cried.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Hardware”