How have you destroyed a computer?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

markfiend

Re: How have you destroyed a computer?

Postby markfiend » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:46 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:It sounds like you might be talking about http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/

Even if you're not, there's a more then a few good examples of computer destruction to be found there.

Awesome site. :mrgreen:
advanced, forthright, signifficant
pronouns: he/him

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:52 am UTC

www.rinkworks.com/said is also very funny

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:01 am UTC

phillipsjk wrote:
Earlz wrote:
roflwaffle wrote:I've plugged in a floppy drive backwards. It wasn't too spectacular, but it fried the power supply, ram, and naturally the floppy drive.

What!? How do you plug it in backwards? It has a huge block of plastic formed to prevent that.

The plastic flexes if you force it on. If the connector was hard to connect, I have always double-checked (so have not done that yet).

Earlz wrote:I have one of those cameras somewhere.. I've been meaning to fool around with the capacitor..

Has anyone tried disassembling a PSU and using the capacitors in there? Some PSUs have huge capacitors, though I believe they are low ferad values and just can take high heat and voltages.

The filter capacitors probably have large values, and are probably rated for a similar voltage as the photo flash capacitors (say ~350 V). It is not the voltage that kills you: it is the current (about 20mA I've heard). Since the large capacitors store more charge, they are more dangerous. I have taken apart PSUs to replace noisy fans, but not messed with the caps. I think they usually have a large-value resistor to discharge them over several minutes.

Bottom line: if photo-flash caps send shards of transistors flying, I don't want to contemplate what a misused filter cap will do. The capacity is printed on the side.

I don't get it, I have capacitors bigger than that for ferads(but way less voltage) for instance, some of the capacitors in my bag-o-capacitors from radio shack: 3300uF/6.3v, 60MF(not sure that's milli or mega)/16v, 100uF/16v.

Those are way less voltage, but more F, which would mean more amperage right?
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:25 am UTC

Well, I've just corrected my mis-use of related terms in another post.

Voltage=Current x Resistance, so Current=Voltage/Resistance. That is not the same thing as stored charge.

The lower voltage capacitors have less insulation between the plates, so can have more capacitance with the same package size. And, I am fairly certain that any Capacitor you have will be rated for millifarads, rather than megafarads (though you are correct: milli is denoted by a small "M").
Did you get the number on that truck?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:52 pm UTC

The first computer I ever built, I was a complete nooblet and forgot to purchase thermal compound.

It was an old AMD Duron 1 ghz, 128 MB ram, Geforce 2 (32mb).

Pieced it all together, pushed the power button, which immediately broke on the $30 case, the fan clicked once and didn't respond. It took me five trips to Frys(1hr drive each way) while I swapped out parts and two months to figure out what the problem was.

To this day I still have the little power wire coming out the bottom of that case. I've since put a different computer in it, but it's always a reminder to buy thermal compound.

:arrow: My grandparents also lost an old Compaq to the Y2k bug. No lie. January 1, 2000, I got a nice HD failure message when I booted it up.

rm2010

Postby rm2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:52 am UTC

I left my last computer outside. It doesn't rain much in CA, but when I went to go get it back it was covered in mud...
Disaster.

CalmingInfluence

Postby CalmingInfluence » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:13 am UTC

First post, love this forum!

I had a stack of twenty 1/2" diam. rare earth magnets, and was playing around with them. (They're remarkably strong - I gave myself a blood-blister by splitting the stack in half and allowing them to snap back together with the edge of my finger still in the way...)

In one of those I-should-have-considered-the-potential-consequences-of-this-particular-experiment-before-carrying-it-out moments, I thought "I know a strong magnetic field can deflect the beam in a CRT; I wonder what effect it would have on a laptop display?" There was probably ferrous metal behind the display, so I held the stack of magnets tightly as I moved it toward the display (I didn't want the magnets to slam into the screen and break something.)

Had I spent even a few moments thinking about what I was doing, I would have taken in to account a very important variable: a laptop screen is attached by a hinge, and thus it's position is not fixed in space. When I got within about 3/4' of the screen, it flexed forward and smacked the stack of magnets like a rattlesnake nailing a mouse, and instantly went black.

"Oh fuck fuck fuck fuck...I know, reboot!" Right. Rebooting would have helped my brain, but did nothing for the display. My Dell Inspiron 8200 that had served me faithfully for years finished out it's life attached to a yardsale monitor. Even though I no longer use it, I still don't have the heart to throw it out.

bocochoco

Postby bocochoco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:17 pm UTC

Thermite.. nuff said.. I used just under four pounds of it, which didn't leave much of the laptop left afterwards. It was a pretty fantastic show though.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 am UTC

remember how I was library TA at my middle school? well, they're also responsible for the computers. The school has 4 computer labs and the library. each has at least enough computers for a large class and the teacher. the newest computers start in one computer lab, get replaced, go to the library, get replaced, go to the next computer lab, etc... Anyway, after they leave the last one, they go into storage. Forever. Anyway, at the last computer lab before storage, someone literally stole the RAM while the computer was on. they literally went into the lab, opened it, and took the ram. they didn't even bother replacing the cover.

hintss

Postby hintss » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:04 am UTC

remember how I was library TA at my middle school? well, they're also responsible for the computers. The school has 4 computer labs and the library. each has at least enough computers for a large class and the teacher. the newest computers start in one computer lab, get replaced, go to the library, get replaced, go to the next computer lab, etc... Anyway, after they leave the last one, they go into storage. Forever. Anyway, at the last computer lab before storage, someone literally stole the RAM while the computer was on. they literally went into the lab, opened it, and took the ram. they didn't even bother replacing the cover.

Bic Finepoint

Postby Bic Finepoint » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:34 am UTC

I had a client purchase a modem, then bring his computer in. He had attempted to install the modem with the computer on. Killed the modem and all the PCI slots, other than that it worked fine.

Earlz
Gets Obvious Implications

Postby Earlz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

When I worked at a PC repair shop I saw *all the time* the other repair people would do silly stuff like replacing IDE harddrives while the computer is running, putting in PCI cards and screws(which if a single one dropped on the mobo while it was running it would be toast, which they did this with an extremely expensive AlienWare board)

One of the more annoying things is that they got in a trashed harddrive(filesystem wise) so I was like, "oh we have that recovery software to get that stuff" and then they were like, no, we need to repartition and reformat the harddrive to make sure it doesn't get any corrupted data. FML, like seriously. I had actually known how filesystems and partition tables and such work at the time because I was working on creating my own OS, but of course who would listen to me, the 16 year old... They got.. some.. data taken off the harddrive though..
My new blag(WIP, so yes it's still ugly..)
DEFIANCE!
This is microtext. Zooming in digitally makes it worse. Get a magnifying glass.. works only on LCD

Bic Finepoint

Postby Bic Finepoint » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

Earlz wrote:When I worked at a PC repair shop...

I have a few good ones in that category:

Many dropped laptops. Numerous beverages dumped onto laptops. A few fires. A few really bad power surges, most of those just needed a power supply. Two or three times a laptop had been run over (I'm not certain about this but I think both cases were headed for divorce).

Really entertaining ones would be a few rednecks took their computer out to the closed army base, set a pc up on the rifle range and shot their pc full of holes, then needed some files of the shattered HDD. (No luck.)

A hospital worker who took it into his own hands to reinstall Win2k on a "workstation" that was a server and lost 3 years of EKG data on 100's of patients.

A laptop dropped by a skydiver who was writing a book. The laptop was supposed to stay in the plan but didn't. (We sent the drive out, the data was recovered.)

A laptop hit with an Uzi in a Tel Aviv terrorist attack on the airport. (Did not hit the hard drive, data was fine.)

Finally the most amazing was a machine that was in a fire, melting the case, the sprinklers went off, soaking the flaming mess, finally the roof collapsed crushing the machine. After some cleanup, with the components laid out on a workbench everything worked just fine. Mobo, CPU, RAM , Drives, Powersupply, everything worked. It was amazing and smelled terrible.

kcoolestdude

Postby kcoolestdude » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

i took a blowtorch to one while it was running. Just cause it was really old and i was bored. It didn't work out too well, but it kept running for like a minute while i was torching the motherboard.

Peter Galbavy

Postby Peter Galbavy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:45 pm UTC

Only one where I have had the magic blue smoke leak was from a Sparc clone (actually Sparc 2 clone, first one in the UK at the time) back in the old days which was shipped over from the US with a multi-voltage PSU. Problem was we didn't check the PSU switch as all the real production machines were factory set to 220/240V. It started but after about 15 seconds we heard a "whooosh" and a stream of light blue smoke came jetting out of the PSU fan. Lovely but smelly. Luckily for us the PSU was thre only damaged component and we grabbed one from the older production machines.

Same place, we used to build UNIX PCs (386/486 days) and it was a workshop on the ground floor of an old Victorian warehouse. Opening up one of the tank-build tower cases to find nesting materials and mouse droppings was entertaining. We tended to leave the machines on overnight and it was obviously nice and cosy. We learnt to put the card slot covers back on after that.

Final related anecdote, but only involvding said rodents was the 26"-ish Sony Trinitron CRT monitors that we received on pallets. A row of 15 or them. Removed cardboard covers, plugged in monitors to test, put back covers, sealed and ready to be shipped. Next day shipping company comes and we start hauling them out. under one monitor we find a half squashed mouse - one half under the wooden pallter and quite flat, the other half not under pallet and looking quite "fresh". Sort of like the letter 'b' on it's side. Ergh.

wst

Postby wst » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 pm UTC

Now to find the one about the P4 EE that lost 3 pins :D
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

I once dropped my laptop while inside my backpack, a good 5ft drop off the side of my dorm's elevated bed onto a concrete floor. It went crunch really loudly, and the over-screen casing had been broken, but the display part still worked. Thankfully the fact that it was a tablet PC saved the rest of the machine. Still works 4 years later.

The sad part here was that i actually hit f9 on my desktop computer (halflife's quickload key) the moment I heard the crunch. Just in reflex.

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

I installed Bonzi Buddy onto a Windows ME machine.

Wait, does having a Windows ME machine count as it being already destroyed?

ArgonV

Postby ArgonV » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:30 pm UTC

Hooked up two different PSUs to an old PC to see if that'd work. It didn't :P

hintss

Postby hintss » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

strange, thats actually somewhat common in the case mod community. check your wiring

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Sun May 02, 2010 6:18 pm UTC

Plugged the ATX power connector to the motherboard while the PSU had power. Motherboard: dead. CPU: dead. RAM: dead. I was 17 and it was my first self-build PC. Have since recovered from the grief, thankyou for asking.
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

hintss

Postby hintss » Tue May 04, 2010 5:46 am UTC

next time, use the PSU adapter from frozenCPU or somewheres.

Return to “Hardware”