Dual monitor video card

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

el sjaako

Dual monitor video card

Postby el sjaako » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:09 pm UTC

I was just installing a new power supply, and was plugging in my video card. It takes a bit of force to put it in, so I put it behind the plug. Turns out there was a part there (note the past tense).

So I'm going to need a new graphics card. Dual monitor, 1280x1024 on each. I don't need very fancy graphics, I think the one I had was recent around 2001, and that was fine (I don't play any games besides half life every now and then). I do wach quite a lot of video's on there, I don't know how much influence the video card has on that.

I could just order one, but I thought I might as well ask you guys. Thanks in advance.

Amnesiasoft

Re: Dual monitor video card

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:15 pm UTC

what was your old card, PCI or AGP?

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:16 pm UTC

As far as I know, almost any vaguely recent video card should have dual outputs. It of course also depends what input the monitors take (DVI or D-Sub), but anything with DVI will probably have adapters to D-sub anyway.

If you get one of the newer 8 series nvidia cards, they'll help decode some video codecs faster I think, but the expense is quite possibly unjustified.

Also of course, PCI/AGP/PCI-E matters.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:34 pm UTC

I'm not sure what the old one was. I'd look it up, but, you know, I cant. according to a number I looked up on google, its some kind of Radeon 9800 (ATI). Why don't they label these things?

It had two different types of plug and I used a converter, I just wan't sure if every video card supported dual monitor.

The video card says 2003 on it, and it doesn't use the same type of slot as used for firewire cards, etc., so I think it's AGP (did nothing besides reading the wiki page about video cards, so you'll have to confirm my logic.)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

el sjaako wrote:The video card says 2003 on it, and it doesn't use the same type of slot as used for firewire cards, etc., so I think it's AGP (did nothing besides reading the wiki page about video cards, so you'll have to confirm my logic.)

Spoiler:

In that image, the top slot is AGP. The ones below it are PCI. My guess then is your card is AGP since it sounds like you only have one of the slots your graphics card was in. Since that graphics card you had was sufficient for what you did I'd probably recommend one of these since it's cheap and should be capable of doing what you need from it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130207. A great GPU? No. But it's $18 after rebate, you probably won't find a cheaper one (and it's from a good brand), and ought to do what you need.

And to answer your other question about graphics card influence on video, it depends. Graphics cards can decode video for you in place of the CPU. Nvidia has PureVideo (which from what I hear, isn't very good), and ATI has decoders for "HD" on their newer cards. But From what I've seen, you'd only even begin to benefit if you were watching an "HD" video.
Last edited by Amnesiasoft on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:07 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

MoonBuggy

Postby MoonBuggy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:04 pm UTC

A 9800 from 2003 will almost definitely be AGP, and it's actually a fairly nice card - was a good solid high-end product at the time, anyway. If you look at the connector it should be easy to confirm which it is: AGP, PCI or PCI Express.

In terms of outputs, most cards in the range you'll be looking at have one VGA (blue) and one DVI (white) which you can adapt to VGA with a small dongle. Newer cards tend to have two DVI outputs, but almost always still provide an analogue signal, so if you're using VGA monitors you can just use adapters on both.

[Edit] Yeah, what Amnesiasoft said.
Michael McClary, in alt.fusion, wrote:Irrigation of the land with sewater desalinated by fusion power is ancient. It's called 'rain'.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:08 pm UTC

if you don't do any gaming, find one without a fan on the GPU. You'll thank me down the road...
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:25 pm UTC

That's a good idea, mosc, one of the reasons I was getting a new power supply was to remove the noise. Are there any decent fanless ones?

Is this any good? (found it on a dutch site, but I thought it might be better to post something english)

edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, buying from US stores isn't very practical (being in europe and not owning a credit card)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:48 pm UTC

el sjaako wrote:edit: oh yeah, forgot to mention, buying from US stores isn't very practical (being in europe and not owning a credit card)

Ah, sorry, hadn't considered that when I was looking for a card. Either an FX 5500 or a 6200 should be fine for what you need (I actually think they are more or less identical, but the 6200 should support shader model 3, not that playing a game using shader model 3 on one of those is a good idea). Just pick the cheapest of the two. Again, a 6200 isn't exactly *good* but it's sufficient for what you do.

Edit: And even though the 5500 does have a fan on it, you won't hear it unless your computer is in a poorly ventilated area (and therefore, the fan is spinning like crazy trying to move out all the hot air that is just building up).

el sjaako

Postby el sjaako » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:03 pm UTC

i'm really thinking I should get that MSI card, but one review stated that it was not a 4x card. Does this actually make a difference? If so, How can I figure out what mine is?

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:17 pm UTC

el sjaako wrote:i'm really thinking I should get that MSI card, but one review stated that it was not a 4x card. Does this actually make a difference? If so, How can I figure out what mine is?

no, it really doesn't make a difference if you're never going to do any gaming.*

*besides some small issue if you had a really old slot (which you don't cause you said a 9800 was in there before) or wanted to use a really old card (which I doubt they sell in 2008 anyway)
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

'; DROP DATABASE;--

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 am UTC

I have a Radeon 9550. Fanless, dual-monitor (one DVI and one D-Sub), does 2960x1050@32bpp no problem.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

big resolutions (>350 RAMDAC) can be challenging. That's huge though. Most LCD's are at 75 hz so you're talking more than 2048x1536 before you get into trouble. 2960x1050 is actually smaller than 2048x1536.

Also, wtf is 2960x1050? That's pretty wide. 2x widescreen monitors next to each other would be close but that's 1400x1050 2x which is 2800x1050 so it's even wider than that? most of the time you'd run that on 2x different headers to begin with however...

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Also, wtf is 2960x1050?

A 1680x1050 monitor and a 1280x1024 monitor most likely. I personally prefer 5120x1200 ;)

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:43 pm UTC

well clearly that's not 2968x1050 anyway.

Return to “Hardware”