TI-84 modifications?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
fishyfish777
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

TI-84 modifications?

Postby fishyfish777 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:56 pm UTC

Okay, I have a TI-84 (Silver Edition). See attachments for pics.
Anyway, now that it's silver (blagh, they say "silver edition" but it's gray), I want to mod it more in the break time I have.
But, a dremel and plexiglass is way too expensive - reaching into the $50 range. So, what could I do to mod my caculator?

My initiative behind this was "Hey, my hex key wrench fits!"

[EDIT] wayyyyyy too big. oops. Resized.
Attachments
phpiIUHodPM.jpg
TI + cover
phpiIUHodPM.jpg (98.33 KiB) Viewed 11543 times
phpgEAaIGPM.jpg
Back of TI-84
phpgEAaIGPM.jpg (110.21 KiB) Viewed 11554 times
phpJnmJxrPM.jpg
Another view of front (Yes, that is a combat knife)
phpJnmJxrPM.jpg (124.37 KiB) Viewed 11554 times
phpOaBXhgPM.jpg
Front view
phpOaBXhgPM.jpg (137.16 KiB) Viewed 11551 times
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

User avatar
fiyarburst
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby fiyarburst » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:53 pm UTC

Someone somehow got a gameboy inside a TI-83+, but it was bulky. Maybe a Gameboy Pocket, or a fuzebox? I imagine the latter would require a lot more expenditure.

User avatar
Turtle_
Posts: 186
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Turtle_ » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

I know someone who put a speaker in his...

EDIT: He has a TI-83+ SE though if that would make a difference.
"Sometimes lies were more dependable than the truth." ~ Ender's Game
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." ~ Charles Darwin

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

I recall seeing someone add a backlight to their TI-83...

User avatar
LittleChrist
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:07 am UTC
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby LittleChrist » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

The TI-84 body is probably big enough to get the Gameboy Color (Pocket if you have to) inside it.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

User avatar
Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque, NM.

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:11 am UTC


User avatar
fishyfish777
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby fishyfish777 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Goddarn windows update-

fiyarburst wrote:Someone somehow got a gameboy inside a TI-83+, but it was bulky. Maybe a Gameboy Pocket, or a fuzebox? I imagine the latter would require a lot more expenditure.

LittleChrist wrote:The TI-84 body is probably big enough to get the Gameboy Color (Pocket if you have to) inside it.

Well:
1. I need to retain its functionality
2. Button mapping

Turtle_ wrote:I know someone who put a speaker in his...

EDIT: He has a TI-83+ SE though if that would make a difference.

Maybe that'll work. I never use the 1/0 port anyway.

Amnesiasoft wrote:I recall seeing someone add a backlight to their TI-83...

It didn't work well.

Mr. Beck wrote:Overclock it!

There's no section for TI-84.

[EDIT] This thread shows up as first in google when I search "TI-84 mod". Hmm.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

User avatar
thornahawk
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:56 am UTC
Location: somewhere out in the SEA
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby thornahawk » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 pm UTC

I'm not usually keen on promoting stuff, but this seemed appropriate.

~ Werner
John Dolan wrote:Cigarettes are insanely expensive and turn lots of poor people into cringing beggars.


E-mail!

User avatar
fishyfish777
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby fishyfish777 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:57 pm UTC

thornahawk wrote:I'm not usually keen on promoting stuff, but this seemed appropriate.

~ Werner


I'll look into it.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

User avatar
Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque, NM.

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Mr. Beck » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:02 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Overclock it!
There's no section for TI-84.

IFIAK, the 84 is fairly similar to the 83. The procedure scales across all their models: Find the clock timer cap, and lower the capacitance. This is (relatively!) safe, and ID'ing and swapping the cap shouldn't be too hard for anyone asking this kind of question.
Unless you cant do anything beyond a super-detailed move-by-move guide...

User avatar
fishyfish777
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby fishyfish777 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:29 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Overclock it!
There's no section for TI-84.

IFIAK, the 84 is fairly similar to the 83. The procedure scales across all their models: Find the clock timer cap, and lower the capacitance. This is (relatively!) safe, and ID'ing and swapping the cap shouldn't be too hard for anyone asking this kind of question.
Unless you cant do anything beyond a super-detailed move-by-move guide...

I don't really want to risk it.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

User avatar
Mr. Beck
Commencing Countdown, Engines On
Posts: 1469
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:14 am UTC
Location: Albuquerque, NM.

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Mr. Beck » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:24 am UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Overclock it!
There's no section for TI-84.

IFIAK, the 84 is fairly similar to the 83. The procedure scales across all their models: Find the clock timer cap, and lower the capacitance. This is (relatively!) safe, and ID'ing and swapping the cap shouldn't be too hard for anyone asking this kind of question.
Unless you cant do anything beyond a super-detailed move-by-move guide...

I don't really want to risk it.

Then you're looking for what, software-only mods?
Eh, it's your box.

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby wst » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm UTC

Surprised at that OC technique- all of the gameboy OC's I've seen are a switch in the crystal oscillator, so a cap's an interesting one.

I'll need a new calc soon, I might overclock this casio thing I have :P At the moment I can freeze it for ~10 seconds by just doing lots of sin cos tan loops (sin cos tan sin cos tan sin cos tan etc....25 minutes later ...... sin cos tan 1). I could do tests pre- and post- OC...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
fishyfish777
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:29 pm UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby fishyfish777 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:49 am UTC

Mr. Beck wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:
fishyfish777 wrote:
Mr. Beck wrote:Overclock it!
There's no section for TI-84.

IFIAK, the 84 is fairly similar to the 83. The procedure scales across all their models: Find the clock timer cap, and lower the capacitance. This is (relatively!) safe, and ID'ing and swapping the cap shouldn't be too hard for anyone asking this kind of question.
Unless you cant do anything beyond a super-detailed move-by-move guide...

I don't really want to risk it.

Then you're looking for what, software-only mods?
Eh, it's your box.

Meh, main reason is, overclocking wouldn't do much as installing a backlight.

Which I cannot find any portable Electroluminescent lamps running off 4 AA/AAA batteries and a small inverter on the interwebs.
Neon Rain wrote:And somehow we humans can invent scanning-probe microscopes that can "see" individual atoms, yet still can't invent a machine that can reliably scan tests not taken with a #2 pencil.

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby wst » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

fishyfish777 wrote:Which I cannot find any portable Electroluminescent lamps running off 4 AA/AAA batteries and a small inverter on the interwebs.
Why don't you use LEDs? Far superior.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
Dromtry
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: The Ninjas Are Coming, NH

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Dromtry » Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:40 am UTC

Stick a TI-89 in there.
~steve

User avatar
Narsil
Ask me about my junk!
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 pm UTC
Location: Columbus.

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Narsil » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:25 pm UTC

What is there in the way of free software stuff that adds functionality to the calculator?
Spoiler:
EsotericWombat wrote:MORE JUNK THAN YOUR BODY HAS ROOM FOR

Mother Superior wrote:What's he got that I dont?
*sees Narsil's sig*
Oh... that.

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:14 am UTC

The used TI-83 I bought came with a nifty periodic table program. All I know is it's called "Elements" which probably isn't much help. I can find a BASIC version on Google, but this one doesn't appear to be written in BASIC.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:15 pm UTC

Yeah, that's because it's an application, written by TI, in z80 assembly. It should be on there website with 18 gajillion other programs.

There's also TI Calc which has 24 gazbigillion programs on it.

User avatar
Lenary
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:00 am UTC
Location: Edinburgh, SCOTLAND

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Lenary » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:46 am UTC

fun fact: did you know that that calculator has more computational power than the apollo moon landers
or so i am told
My Tumblog

[imath]you = me (awesome + clothes)[/imath]
solve for awesome if you're a hot girl
Spoiler:
[imath]awesome = \frac{you}{me} - clothes[/imath]

User avatar
wst
Posts: 2613
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby wst » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:35 am UTC

Lenary wrote:fun fact: did you know that that calculator has more computational power than the apollo moon landers
or so i am told
I wonder if NASA class that software as abandonware?
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

User avatar
BSamuels
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:44 pm UTC
Location: 0x000001

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby BSamuels » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:05 am UTC

But can anyone find a guide for TI84 overclocking, the link posted earlier is for almost every calc except the 84.
I love time warner cable.
Image

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby darkspork » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:10 am UTC

BSamuels wrote:But can anyone find a guide for TI84 overclocking, the link posted earlier is for almost every calc except the 84.

I believe that's because the TI84 is already overclocked. You may not think so, because it's slow as fuck, but the rest of the Internet seems to think so.

As far as installing a backlight, I have tried that, and it's damn near impossible. The screen is mounted to the circuit board by eight or so large metal bars. As far as other calculator mods, this douchebag at my high school decided to throw my TI84 at the ground, which broke the screen. The principal walked by and forced him to buy me a new one, so naturally I picked the most expensive one available. Anyway, I now have a TI84 Silver mounted in a TI84 case that runs on AA batteries. If you do decide to go this route, remember that you will need to relocate the button cell battery somewhere else in the case. There's a nice little area directly behind the screen to put stuff in. The plastic support structure is easy to remove and completely unnecessary.

Another mod idea (untested): Mount a retractable USB cable inside the case
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

L337R3dN3k
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby L337R3dN3k » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

It's been a long time now -- the TI-84 came out while I was in college, I never had one -- but let's see what I can remember.

My TI-86 had the same Z80 processor. At stock, it came at 6Mhz. At full capacity, after removing the regulator, I have it running at 18Mhz. I believe the TI-84 runs at 15Mhz ... so there's no point risking an overclock.

There's still fun stuff you can do. I believe the calculator reset function is on reserved page 4 in memory (the pages 0 - 7 are reserved for the OS). With a little Z80 assembler, you can replace that with a hook that displays all the menus and everything but does not actually reset your calculator. Handy if you're sick of having to re-load your games after tests.

I can confirm that the audio works. Easiest way is to splice a 3.5mm headphone jack into your data cable and plug in headphones; then you still have your I/O jack.

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 pm UTC

Actually, there's an application for the TI-83/4(+(SE)) that includes a restore memory function, as well as allowing your calculator to run as though it were two virtual calculators. So such a change isn't really necessary for tests. Actually, I think it only works on the 83+ SE and up, but how can I pass up the opportunity to write TI-83/4(+(SE))?

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby darkspork » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

L337R3dN3k wrote:It's been a long time now -- the TI-84 came out while I was in college, I never had one -- but let's see what I can remember.

My TI-86 had the same Z80 processor. At stock, it came at 6Mhz. At full capacity, after removing the regulator, I have it running at 18Mhz. I believe the TI-84 runs at 15Mhz ... so there's no point risking an overclock.

There's still fun stuff you can do. I believe the calculator reset function is on reserved page 4 in memory (the pages 0 - 7 are reserved for the OS). With a little Z80 assembler, you can replace that with a hook that displays all the menus and everything but does not actually reset your calculator. Handy if you're sick of having to re-load your games after tests.

I can confirm that the audio works. Easiest way is to splice a 3.5mm headphone jack into your data cable and plug in headphones; then you still have your I/O jack.


Audio? How?
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

L337R3dN3k
Posts: 65
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:37 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby L337R3dN3k » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:57 pm UTC

darkspork wrote:Audio? How?


You hack the I/O port. In assembler, you can control the "data" pulses going to the port to mimick a simple sound card. Then all you need to do is either plug headphones with a 2.5mm jack into the data port or splice a 3.5mm jack onto the data cable that came with your calculator. Details here: http://www.ticalc.org/pub/86/asm/media/sound/

The big catch is that each song needs to be re-done as an assembler program. I do not know of any way to turn the thing into a real mp3 player.

User avatar
'; DROP DATABASE;--
Posts: 3284
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 am UTC
Location: Midwest Alberta, where it's STILL snowy
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby '; DROP DATABASE;-- » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

I somehow doubt it's fast enough to decode MP3s. You could embed PCM into your program and transfer it over.
poxic wrote:You suck. And simultaneously rock. I think you've invented a new state of being.

User avatar
Forum Viking
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 am UTC
Location: Coming soon to a misty shore near you!

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Forum Viking » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 am UTC

Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

MisterCheif
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:24 am UTC

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:51 am UTC

I wish I could afford to risk messing with my calculator, but alas, I am not that hardware-savvy, and I don't ant to have to pay for a new calculator.

And, does anybody have the link to the program that can prevent all your programs from being deleted when the calculators memory is cleared?
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

User avatar
Forum Viking
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:28 am UTC
Location: Coming soon to a misty shore near you!

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Forum Viking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:23 am UTC

MisterCheif wrote:I wish I could afford to risk messing with my calculator, but alas, I am not that hardware-savvy, and I don't ant to have to pay for a new calculator.

And, does anybody have the link to the program that can prevent all your programs from being deleted when the calculators memory is cleared?

You just archive the programs. It's not a program itself. Go to 2nd--> Mem and select Mem Mgmt/Delete then "All." Just hit enter over whatever programs you want to archive. Note that you have to unarchive them to run 'em. Also, if you clear the archived memory that will obviously clear, well, the archives. But that will keep the programs safe from loss if you pull out the batteries or whatever.
Search engines: Helping you help yourself.

User avatar
darkspork
Posts: 532
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:43 am UTC
Location: Land of Trains and Suburbs

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby darkspork » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:24 am UTC

Forum Viking wrote:
MisterCheif wrote:I wish I could afford to risk messing with my calculator, but alas, I am not that hardware-savvy, and I don't ant to have to pay for a new calculator.

And, does anybody have the link to the program that can prevent all your programs from being deleted when the calculators memory is cleared?

You just archive the programs. It's not a program itself. Go to 2nd--> Mem and select Mem Mgmt/Delete then "All." Just hit enter over whatever programs you want to archive. Note that you have to unarchive them to run 'em. Also, if you clear the archived memory that will obviously clear, well, the archives. But that will keep the programs safe from loss if you pull out the batteries or whatever.

There's also a program out there called Flash Gordon that will let you run your programs from flash memory, so that you don't have to unarchive them every time you want to use them.
Shameless Website Promotion: Gamma Energy
My new esoteric programming language: GLOBOL
An experiment to mess with Google Search results: HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY HARDCORE PORNOGRAPHY

User avatar
Dromtry
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:22 pm UTC
Location: The Ninjas Are Coming, NH

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Dromtry » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:09 pm UTC

Like MirageOS?
~steve

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: TI-84 modifications?

Postby Amnesiasoft » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:09 am UTC

Dromtry wrote:Like MirageOS?

Just remember that if you want a BASIC program to display in there, you need to make sure the first line of it is

Code: Select all

:"Description text

Note the lack of a closing quote. Not absolutely important, but if you put one it, Mirage reads it as part of the description.


Return to “Hardware”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests