What netbook should I get

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

EmmPlusPlus

What netbook should I get

Postby EmmPlusPlus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:57 am UTC

Hi there.

I am going to buy my first laptop shortly and have decided to get a 10" netbook (which I will suplement with an external DVD player/burner).

But which netbook should I get? I only need it for music, internet, and the odd bit of word processing. Maybe some programming if I get the time.

I'd prefer 80GB or more hard drive, 1GB RAM, decent processor speed, and decent battery life.

I have pretty much whittled it down to either an ASUS EEE 1000 or an MSI Wind U100. They both cost pretty much the same (~NZ$ 800 ~= US$400).

Does any one have any comments on which is better of these two? Or suggestions for alternative netbooks?

Thanks!

KOSMOSX7

Re: What netbook should I get

Postby KOSMOSX7 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:55 pm UTC

Between those two, I'd go with the Asus. But beyond those two, I'd rather go with an Acer Aspire One.

Bhelliom

Postby Bhelliom » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:29 pm UTC

You really owe it to yourself to look at the Lenovo S10. I picked mine up from Circuit City before it went belly up, and of all the netbooks there it seemed the most solidly built. 10 inch screen, nice touchpad and buttons, and good speakers. The keyboard is decent, it has nice feeling keys and has very little flex. My only gripe is the position of the right shift key.Plus it has a nice matte finish that does not fingerprint easily like the MSI Wind. the wind is just so....plastic-y. As far as the EEE goes, ugh. Ive played with a few of them in Best Buy and was not impressed.

The one touch backup is a really nice touch. I can image my hard drive at any time and be able to restore it from the bios.

The new S10e is better yet, with facial recognition and a quick boot environment. 4 second boot times anyone?

I really love my S10
"Eloquently Blunt"

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 pm UTC

Bhelliom wrote:You really owe it to yourself to look at the Lenovo S10. I picked mine up from Circuit City before it went belly up, and of all the netbooks there it seemed the most solidly built. 10 inch screen, nice touchpad and buttons, and good speakers. The keyboard is decent, it has nice feeling keys and has very little flex. My only gripe is the position of the right shift key.Plus it has a nice matte finish that does not fingerprint easily like the MSI Wind. the wind is just so....plastic-y. As far as the EEE goes, ugh. Ive played with a few of them in Best Buy and was not impressed.

The one touch backup is a really nice touch. I can image my hard drive at any time and be able to restore it from the bios.

The new S10e is better yet, with facial recognition and a quick boot environment. 4 second boot times anyone?

You forgot to mention Expresscard... :D

The only thing I don't like about the S10 is that you can't get 6-cell as part of the base package. You have to buy it as a second battery, and the machine isn't really designed for it. (I guess there's also the lesser issue, that Bluetooth isn't standard in the US models - so figure another $20 wasted adding that, if you want it...) Other than that - I've been in a deadlock as to which netbook to buy for some time - and the S10 has generally been at the top of the list, thanks to its Expresscard slot, the keyboard (which I've heard is nice), and general good looks.

It's worth noting that the S10E has a lower screen resolution, though. 1024x576 instead of 1024x600. Maybe that doesn't sound like much - but to me even 600 high is already smaller than I'd like. Losing another 24000 pixels doesn't appeal to me at all... At least not without a very good reason. (A very good reason might be, for instance, a machine design like the Vaio P - a machine wide enough for a good keyboard, and without much more depth than is needed for a good keyboard... No trackpad, so it's a very wide machine proportionally speaking... That kind of tradeoff, a machine that heavily emphasizes the keyboard and small form factor, would be worth a weird, even lower resolution. Of course, the Vaio P is crazy expensive as Atom-based netbooks go, and it's also available in higher resolutions...)

I went with the EEE 901 'cause there's a hefty rebate for the machine currently. ($100 off, from Asus) I've generally had concerns about the machine's keyboard (not the size so much as the reliability) but the 901 has always been high on my list due to its small form factor and big battery.
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:24 pm UTC

Today and today only Dell is selling the Inspiron Mini 9 for $200.

EmmPlusPlus

Postby EmmPlusPlus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:55 am UTC

Thanks for the comments.

I still haven't actually purchased a netbook yet, due to lack of bones, and generally being a procrastinator.

I am now considering the Acer Aspire One as well, but the Lenovo computers are a bit out of my price range. Basically I want the finest, cheapest netbook available.

I've been going by reviews on teh internet quite a lot, is this a bad thing to do?

Cheers

psykx

Postby psykx » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:31 pm UTC

Personally I'm waiting until the Asus 1000HE come out over here in the uk
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

ian

Postby ian » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm UTC

You might want to have a look at the Samsung NC10 if you haven't already.

EmmPlusPlus

Postby EmmPlusPlus » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:55 pm UTC

ian wrote:You might want to have a look at the Samsung NC10 if you haven't already.

Yeah the NC10 looks pretty sweet, but you can't get it in New Zealand at the moment.

I'm in a bit of a catch-22. Can't buy the computer until I sell my car, can't sell the car until I get a computer. Ha.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

ian wrote:You might want to have a look at the Samsung NC10 if you haven't already.

Though it may not be available in .nz, I figured I'd agree with the above statement, I got one two days ago and I am thoroughly satisfied with it. The battery is great (6 hours!) and the keyboard is pretty touch-typable. It's well worth waiting a while for it to become available in your country (I did too).
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

psykx

Postby psykx » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:28 pm UTC

personally I'm waiting for the extra speed of the 160GB ssd on the asus 1000he.
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

EmmPlusPlus

Postby EmmPlusPlus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:59 pm UTC

Upon further research, I still think the MSI Wind appears to have the best base-package specs out of everything currently available (in NZ..).

95% keyboard, 6 cell battery, decent HD and RAM etc.

Does anyone own a Wind? And if so, do you have any positive or negative comments?

Cheers

LilaRivers

Postby LilaRivers » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:10 am UTC

I would agree that the Acer One is probably your best value. It has pretty much the same specs as the wind roughly except you pay ~$200 less. If you're going by whatever reviews you find at the top of your google search... those are slightly outdated. The current base model has a bigger battery and a much larger harddrive (160GB).
Image Image Image Image

EmmPlusPlus

Postby EmmPlusPlus » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:54 pm UTC

Just to follow this up, I finally ended up getting the MSI Wind U100

Thus far it is pretty sweet

Thanks!

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

I got an MSI Wind not too long ago, and am really satisfied with it. I don't have experience with Asus by which to offer a point of comparison, though. There are a couple of minor gripes, but nothing too bad. KF
~Kizyr

Return to “Hardware”