Reenlistment Bonus! AKA Time to buy some toys!

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

WraithXt1

Reenlistment Bonus! AKA Time to buy some toys!

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:07 am UTC

It looks like I'm going to re enlist in the Air Force and get a nice 52k signing bonus and a free 2 year tour to Japan!

On the top of my list is a new set of speakers for my computer. Right now I'm running a fairly decent 2.1 system. I'd like to get a 5.1 with wireless rear speakers if at all possible. If not, I wont lose any sleep over it. My PC has an optical audio jack, so that would be interesting to use. My Budget is 450 dollars.

The seconds is pretty much the same deal. I'm using a 50 dollar surround sound system for my home theater system in my living room. It sounds awful and the controls are terrible. I NEED to relace this one fast. Again, a 5.1 system would be ideal, I don’t believe wireless would be needed here.

I've been browsing Newegg and Amazon for the past few hours, and I really don’t even know what I'm looking for. Does anyone have suggestions?

EDIT: I cant find anything better than the Logitech Z-5500, they seem to have trouble with the mids, are there any better systesm out there?

Axman

Re: Reenlistment Bonus! AKA Time to buy some toys!

Postby Axman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:19 am UTC

Personally, I think multi-channel audio is overrated. 2- and 2.1 are great and easy to move and set up in any circumstance.

I'm turgid for Audioengine hardware. So's most of the music-loving world. They're new and (relatively) dirt cheap, with a sound quality I have not encountered outside of insane audiophile setups and studio equipment.

WraithXt1

Postby WraithXt1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:18 am UTC

I'm into a lot of gaming, and I'm sick of only having a 2.1 setup. I'm usually right there with you on 2.1, but after using a friends 5.1 system on his PC for a while, being able to pinpoint sounds is a big deal.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 am UTC

So get two now, and two later, heh.

I still say A5 + S8 to rock a home theater.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 am UTC

If you're looking to pinpoint sounds, headphones intended for directional audio are probably your best bet.

Ended

Postby Ended » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:22 am UTC

I was also going to suggest considering headphones instead of PC speakers. You can get some pretty high-end headphones for $450 which will probably sound better and be more immersive than same-priced speakers. I don't really know much about gaming headphones but something like this maybe.
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:29 am UTC

I'm going to firmly back the Logitech Z5450 system as an extremely powerful 5.1 /w wireless rear. I *love* the sound that comes out of them and all its little features just add up to a great and positively booming gaming experience. One of my favourite things to do with it is push the sub all the way up, pump the rest of the volume rather high and play a racing game like DiRT, its beautifully good at simulating the rushing wind sound and all the ambient little ticks and cracks of under body getting flecked with the debris as you blast around the dirt roads and stuff. Another is playing a game like Crysis, hearing the whizzing of bullets passing from front to rear and just explosions etc is riveting.

Btw what won me over with it vs the others was how each of the rears has a power plug and that's it, much easier to separate them out and I've never once had a de-syncing issue, hell sometimes for fun I'd take them out of my computer room and plonk them onto the back deck and between them and my wireless keyboard's media controls which is also logitech coincidentally, I'd have a handy remote hookup for the mp3s.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

I'm going to join the headphone crowd. Having played both with and without headphones, I can definitely say headphones (any headphones, really) are far superior to speakers for games.

Also, I don't know (really don't) if it's worth the trouble spending $450 on speakers without simultaneously getting a good sound card. I'm sure someone else can confirm/deny this.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 pm UTC

I play L4D with $15 headphones and I can pinpoint boomer locations 50 feet away. Don't worry about cost, just find a pair that isn't shit and you should do fine.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

Return to “Hardware”