How can I fix my Samsung NC10's wireless card?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Analytic Engine

How can I fix my Samsung NC10's wireless card?

Postby Analytic Engine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:45 am UTC

I received my Samsung NC10 in the mail today and I am having the apparently VERY common problem of a defective wireless card driver. The Atheros AR5007EG card does not allow me to connect to my wireless network, despite detecting all of the APs around me. I have tried updating the driver and rolling back to very old versions of the driver, but nothing works and I am unable to connect to any network. The Ethernet connection works (I am on it now) but I have no idea how to get the wireless card working properly. I am positive that this is not the fault of my router or the encryption for the network; it is all the wireless card.

Has anyone else had this problem? Perhaps an in-depth explanation of changing the drivers would help, assuming I am doing it incorrectly. I really need this to be fixed before Monday, or else I will be out of a computer for school. Please ask me if this is not clear or if there is anything else I can provide as far as information.

This thread has lots of information and links to other discussions, but none of their advice has worked:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/laptops- ... -10-a.html

Mzyxptlk

Re: How can I fix my Samsung NC10's wireless card?

Postby Mzyxptlk » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:27 pm UTC

If it's broken, send it back.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Analytic Engine

Postby Analytic Engine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 pm UTC

I don't think you can really call it broken, just poorly made. If I sent it back to Amazon.com then they would give me the same card again. What I need is advice on getting the one I have to work, as most other people who own this have figured out some kind of fix. I tried what they suggested to the best of my ability, but nothing really worked.

Analytic Engine

Postby Analytic Engine » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:44 am UTC

Well, I determined that the card works for at least some other wireless routers. Apparently the NC10's Atheros card doesn't know how to communicate with Apple Airport routers. If anyone has solved that specific problem then I would appreciate the help.

I have seen people suggesting this computer on these forums. I love the machine for everything but the wireless performance, which is a serious issue for a netbook. Everyone buying this thing should look up their router first!

stolid

Postby stolid » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:07 pm UTC

What kind of encryption is the router you tried to connect to? And the ones you were able to connect to?
Registered Linux User #555399

Analytic Engine

Postby Analytic Engine » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 pm UTC

I was able to connect to my University's network, but I do not know what brand of router they are using. Their network is not really encrypted (they make you install a specific program that allows logins from a screen available to everyone).

My router has no encryption either. It is set to give access to MAC addresses on a whitelist, which my computer's address is indeed a part of. And, even with no security enabled, I was unable to connect.

pellib

Postby pellib » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:39 pm UTC

Hi,

Just got my NC10 and have the same problem connecting wireless to my Airport extreme base station.

Have you (or anyone else for that matter) managed to solve it ?

Readout

Postby Readout » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:05 pm UTC

Being one who is considering an NC10 myself, I have done some googling around, and heard a lot of this problem. One of the solutions that apparently works quite well is installing an earlier driver (around the 5.3.0.56 number I believe) although I cannot vouch for this myself.
Hope this helps!

One of many sources
Drivers
Anyone who can identify the language these people are really speaking wins three internet cookies

Return to “Hardware”