Keyboard for my Grandmother

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Keyboard for my Grandmother

Postby b.i.o » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:07 pm UTC

Something Model M-ish is probably closer to what she's looking for, but those kinds of things don't come very cheaply, usually.

The older Dell PS2 keyboards (4-8 years I'd guess would be the range) might work if she's looking for something that requires a harder keypress--they're PS2 only I think, but they're fairly durable and are ~$10-ish new on ebay, although you probably won't find them anywhere else.. (The newer USB ones have keys that are much easier to push down.)

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:55 pm UTC

I think what you are looking for is a classic Buckling Spring keyboard. There is a company out there called Unicomp. They make classic Model M style keyboards with USB connectors. They run 70-100ish

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/keyboards.html

And for anyone else looking for keyboards.. This company will also make custom keyboards for whatever purpose you want.

kaitou

Postby kaitou » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Do you know if there's a way to rig up an old-fashioned typewriter to act as a keyboard?

Problems I foresee with that is the lack of the "1" key (they often just used an "l" (L)).

Not to mention the lack of an "Enter" key (or were you planning on putting an "Enter" lever/key/switch on the left side of her monitor?).

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:25 pm UTC

Also function keys, arrow keys, Control, Alt, Windows button (making an assumption there!), backspace, etc.

It would be an interesting project, but I doubt it'd be particularly handy for daily use. ;)
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:35 am UTC

Meteorswarm wrote:Do you know if there's a way to rig up an old-fashioned typewriter to act as a keyboard?

I've seen it done as part of a steampunk casemod, but it's a lot of work, even if you don't care about appearance.

Return to “Hardware”