ME
28%
45%

Total votes: 53

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

BSOD: Vista worse?

Postby mosc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

So I got vista on my work laptop recently and I BSOD roughly every 6 hours of use or about 8 times a week. Nothing specific seems to set it off. With 2000 and XP, I never had that kind of instability. I'm thinking back and remembering 98 to be similar so I think it's perhaps just a fundamental vista problem? Anyone agree?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Re: BSOD: Vista worse?

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I've seen BSOD's on my Vista laptop once or twice, but as frequent as every six hours is quite astounding. I think mine have come weeks/months apart with almost daily usage. I probably experienced them most frequently on our home XP desktop, but that has had about 5 years of service, and was hardly treated with utmost care. Can't quite remember what happened with Windows ME before that, but I do remember the Critical Error it got when I was playing Warcraft 3 on it and the massive hard drive failure it suffered a day or two after, that I feel was related, but might just be down to ME's general inadequacy I wasn't aware of beforehand.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:29 pm UTC

I've used Vista on my laptop for several hours a day; practically every day for the last few months without a single BSOD.

Maybe it's your laptop?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:37 pm UTC

I am sad to see that there is no option for 95, because BSOD was basically how I shut down the computer every night. And afternoon. And morning.

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

No 95? My mother spent 9 hours a day for 3 days on the phone with Microsoft rebooting our 95. It was epic.

I have never seen such an epic failure of an OS.

Btw, simply reinstalling was not an option as she had some checkbook balancing thing on their (not online), and it had all her checking info. The point it was at was that to reinstall windows, you would have to delete everything else first.

I deeply respect the Microsoft Help Desk people though. That they managed to talk my MOM (no offense to her, but this was deep in field stuff, it would be like talking me through open heart surgery) through fixing this was, well, incredible (set aside they managed to recover it, that is also quite impressive).

Of course the programmers who made the software that failed that way suck. But the help desk people knew their shit.

And then of course there was the incident where Bill Gates BSOD'ed the OS at its launch. In front of millions.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:18 pm UTC

mosc wrote:So I got vista on my work laptop recently and I BSOD roughly every 6 hours of use or about 8 times a week. Nothing specific seems to set it off. With 2000 and XP, I never had that kind of instability. I'm thinking back and remembering 98 to be similar so I think it's perhaps just a fundamental vista problem? Anyone agree?

No. Something is wrong with your computer or your Vista install.

I ran Vista for a year without a single BSOD on my laptop and have never had it BSOD when I've been using it on another computer unless that computer is having some kind of problem.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:00 pm UTC

mosc wrote:So I got vista on my work laptop recently and I BSOD roughly every 6 hours of use or about 8 times a week. Nothing specific seems to set it off. With 2000 and XP, I never had that kind of instability. I'm thinking back and remembering 98 to be similar so I think it's perhaps just a fundamental vista problem? Anyone agree?

It depends on which particular BSOD error code it is, I find with vista they are down to either a broken driver or broken hardware. Every six hours sounds very much like something specifically is unstable like say the ram. Which one is it? (the 0x000000** code)?

Brooklynxman
Because I'm Awesome

Postby Brooklynxman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:17 pm UTC

I have had a vista laptop for a year and a half and never got a BSOD. The occasional complete freeze up, but thats usually when I am seriously abusing the systems memory capabilities (and I mean seriously, see my avatar, if my computer could have, it wouldnt have hesitated to do that to me).

You need a pro to look at it. Or this forums help desk.
We figure out what all this means, then do something large and violent

The thing about changing the world...once you do it the world's all different.

I'm Angel. I beat the bad guys.

Spoiler:

Midna

Postby Midna » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm UTC

My Vista laptop would BSOD because it had a bad driver. After the first time it happened, it actually figured out which driver was acting up and downloaded a new one. Bizarre, I didn't even have to do anything to it.

I'm surprised that ME isn't getting more votes. If I remember correctly, that was kind of all it did. Mine would often BS, and then a window would popup saying that Blue Screen had performed an illegal activity.

GCM

Postby GCM » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

Currently crapping itself, my computer is. It's not like, every day, but farily often (a few times a week). And not necessarily a BSOD; there's this other way where the screen just freezes up. I check myself on another computer, and it says I'm logged out of Steam, so yeah, crash.

XP. Can't say which is worse, since I've never really used much else. Still resisting the urge to make a ****ing Windows '98 joke here, though. :mrgreen:
All warfare is based on heavily-armed robotic commandos.
~Sun Tzu

Notes: My last avatar was "Vote Robot Nixon", so I'm gonna keep a list here. :D

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

GCM wrote:Currently crapping itself, my computer is. It's not like, every day, but farily often (a few times a week). And not necessarily a BSOD; there's this other way where the screen just freezes up. I check myself on another computer, and it says I'm logged out of Steam, so yeah, crash.

XP. Can't say which is worse, since I've never really used much else. Still resisting the urge to make a ****ing Windows '98 joke here, though. :mrgreen:

If you're in steam I'm guessing you're gaming at the time of these lockups? Hard crashes like that are almost 100% always the video card disconnecting from its driver, ie overheating or driver failure.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:45 pm UTC

Midna wrote:I'm surprised that ME isn't getting more votes. If I remember correctly, that was kind of all it did. Mine would often BS, and then a window would popup saying that Blue Screen had performed an illegal activity.

It's probably because no one actually used ME. I've known like two people who had it, one of which switched back to Win2K after a couple days with it.

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 am UTC

GCM wrote:Currently crapping itself, my computer is. It's not like, every day, but farily often (a few times a week). And not necessarily a BSOD; there's this other way where the screen just freezes up. I check myself on another computer, and it says I'm logged out of Steam, so yeah, crash.

Does the screen unfreeze or stay frozen?

Either way, sounds like a video driver issue--try to get current ones.

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 am UTC

Not counting BSODs on shutdown, Win98 is by far the worst, with Vista producing more than XP (there are certain advantages to a platform that's seen eight years of bugfixes).

Counting BSODs on shutdown, they all crash about a third of the time. There's a reason why I describe the "shut down" menu option on Windows as a request rather than a command.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:43 pm UTC

Uh, I couldn't even tell you the last time XP has given me a BSOD at shutdown (or any time for that matter) on any of the computers I've used it with. You must be doing something wrong.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:36 pm UTC

A little background info first: I've run 98 for 2 years, 2K for 3 years, XP for 4 years and Vista for 5 months (and counting).

I've never (never) had a BSOD with XP or Vista. I had maybe 1 with 2K and probably a dozen or more with 98.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Mmmm, Pi

Postby Mmmm, Pi » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:45 pm UTC

Nah, the only reason why Windows ME isn't winning by a mile is that not as many people used it. It was so unstable, it even beats Vista into a cocked hat.
Mercy wrote:Since this is for everything fora, I'd just like to express my fondness of @trophy's and Mmmm, Pi's avatars. You adorable demons. <3

Pi is still tasty.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:09 pm UTC

I should have combined 98 and ME into the same bullet anyway. Oh well, I got the information I was looking for. Vista isn't inherently a blue-screening monster like 98/ME was.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

defaultusername

Postby defaultusername » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:11 pm UTC

The only OS I have any kind of experiance with is XP, which I find to be very stable. The only time I have ever gotten a BSoD it was my own fault, as I had somehow managed to install conflicting drivers. I'm to young to remember any details about older windows OS, and I have so far managed to avoid "upgrading" to Vista.
Because phlogiston.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 pm UTC

My ATI 3870 takes between 10 minutes and half an hour of BF2142 before the Catalyst crach catcher has to reboot the card; otherwise it runs fine, and rivatuner doesn't report any heat issues. I've upgraded the drivers on two different occasions, and it's gone from taking down the whole computer to only needing a few seconds of freeze then a quick black screen moment.

Never had a problem with quake live though so I dont know whether to blame EA or ATI :?
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

headprogrammingczar

Postby headprogrammingczar » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 pm UTC

What is this BSOD?

Seriously, I've had Vista since it came pre-ordered with some crap-top my parents got me. Zero BSOD, and I can't even get the BSOD screensaver to work. My friend has a custom desktop with hardware controlled RAID that HAD to stay on. It stayed on for months. Some update autorestarted the computer and it had to have the RAID controller replaced.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

b.i.o

Postby b.i.o » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:43 pm UTC

Carnildo wrote:Counting BSODs on shutdown, they all crash about a third of the time. There's a reason why I describe the "shut down" menu option on Windows as a request rather than a command.

I have never heard of this happening.

You're doing something wrong.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:42 am UTC

b.i.o wrote:
Carnildo wrote:Counting BSODs on shutdown, they all crash about a third of the time. There's a reason why I describe the "shut down" menu option on Windows as a request rather than a command.

I have never heard of this happening.

You're doing something wrong.

Indeed, something very wrong.

was_fired

Postby was_fired » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:21 pm UTC

ME was by far the worst with 98 being number two. As for 2000 vs XP vs Vista this one is a bit more complicated. On a dual core XP and Vista will beat 2000 hands down. Likewise if you are running on a laptop XP will almost most likely beat Vista. On a well made desktop that remains on most of the time Vista seems to encounter the fewest BSODs in my experience, but if this isn't the case the two run into problems just about as much. That said, for most users XP is still your best bet and 7 will soon replace that (I honestly can't believe how well it's working on the garbage computer that I run it on at work).
TOCC, a free alternative to D&D.

Ephphatha

Postby Ephphatha » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:23 am UTC

I haven't had a bluescreen on any computer I own that was the fault of the OS.

First computer with WinXP never actually bluescreened until I knocked the heatsink, then it would shutdown when it overheated. (Stopped once I reseated the heatsink of course.)

Second computer with WinXP bluescreened often due to a dodgy stick of RAM. (Removed the stick of RAM and all was good. Still have that computer and the dodgy stick of RAM.)

Third and current computer with Vista bluescreened very rarely due to a dodgy video card driver, and only after it tried really fucking hard to recover. Now that I've updated the driver it never crashes. (Oddly, it didn't crash when I was playing games, only while using vlc.)

However, the family computers before that were another story. Started with 3.1, which was stable enough to memory since the only thing you could do on that was play solitaire. The Win95 machine was horrible, bluescreened daily. Then mum decided to upgrade to ME which lasted a week before being replaced with 98.
I'm not lazy, I'm just getting in early for Christmas is all...

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:37 pm UTC

ME is by far the worst for blue screens. It's instability was one of the major reasons why it wasn't so popular. On paper it should have been better than 98, but because it was so bad that manufacturers gave up on it and it never sold that well. The few PC's I did experience with it had regular blue screens. 95 and 98 did have quite a few, but ME was a big step ahead.
ME was basically windows 98 made to be sort of like XP, but with worse memory management and more BSOD.

Saying that, the best blue screen I've ever witnessed first hand was by vista which was at a new years party with <1minute to new years day and projected 7ft high on a wall that everyone was watching.

I think I've only had 1 on my current computer, which was almost certainly linked to a high overclock. Short of dodgy hardware, drivers or high OCs, XP is currently quite stable.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:22 am UTC

In the past 2 years I have had no blue screens with XP, and three with Vista. All three couldn't be fixed via repair disk or liveCD (but they were unrelated issues) and required a complete reinstall of Vista from scratch.

Incidentally I have had zero kernel panics with Ubuntu in that time. I've had one or two graphics driver problems that were fixable without a reinstall.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Wiglaf

Postby Wiglaf » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

The only kernel panics I've had under various Linuxes are ones I caused myself, trying to do stupid shit like speeding up boot with Makefiles and setting completely bogus video modes in GRUB.

nahvkolaj

Postby nahvkolaj » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:09 am UTC

BSOD in Vista once in the year and a half since I've had my laptop (came with Vista). probably the most stable (full release) windows OS I've ever used. I don't remember much about 95, 98 wasn't too great from what I can remember. XP locked up a few times on our desktop at home and Vista has never locked up on me. can't remember any BSODs with XP though. Windows 7 has been really good. only got a BSOD because my hard drive turned into a masochist.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

Honestly, getting a BSOD in a beta release isn't anything terribly unexpected.

But man, Windows 7 is nice.

nahvkolaj

Postby nahvkolaj » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:17 am UTC

oh i would have to agree on that. it is very surprisingly un-buggy for a beta. O&O won't install, but that's the only problem i've had with it so far. it's a shame my hard drive died though. i had to put my slow drive back in.

Area Man

Postby Area Man » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:20 pm UTC

Funny story, my vista ultimate will bluescreen during startup about every other time I boot. Could never figure it out, I simply stopped using it.
Bisquick boxes are a dead medium.

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:35 pm UTC

I remember ME doing it to me all the time....

Although, since I have switched to OS X (almost 4 years ago) I only run Windows for gaming, which is 6 or less hours a week (I haven't turned on Windows in a month at least, but I normally game more than that) And I haven't had any BSOD's with Vista that I can recall.
# drinks WAY to much espresso

yavinfour

Postby yavinfour » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

I remember having lots of BSOD's when I still use 98. I skipped to XP a few years ago and I don't remember having any BSOD's in it. But sometimes my PC freezes w/o any valid reason.

Return to “Hardware”