Upgrade

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Themata

Upgrade

Postby Themata » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:27 am UTC

Mkay. I'm possibly upgrading my CPU, RAM and Motherboard within the next month (birthday coming up).

So far I've picked out the parts:

CPU - Intel Core2Duo e8400 3.00ghz - $255

Motherboard - GA-EP45-UD3R - $187

RAM - 4GB (2x2GB) G-Skill Pi DDR2 1000MHZ - $108

Since I'll need a new case for the motherboard as I'm currently running a microATX:

Thermaltake V9 Gaming Case - $119

Total: $767

Can anyone tell me if this is a good build or if there are some things I should get instead? Do these parts have issues that I am unaware of?
Thanks
Last edited by Themata on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:07 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

BumpInTheNight

Re: Upgrade

Postby BumpInTheNight » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 am UTC

Over all looks good, could I recommend push for 4GB of ram though? Sure XP doesn't tend to use more then 2 nor 'should' win7 but its quickly becoming the standard and that tends to get developers all greedy-like and assume you'll have that much to play with when writing programs. Essentially you'd just be proofing it against ram upgrades down the road and as DDR2 is on its way out the stuff is about as cheap as its gonna get, from here on in its likely to rise in price as the DDR3 packages over-take the market.

If you're hitting a price wall you could switch that E8500 for an 8400, they both overclock the same just the 8500 has a 9.5 multiplier which tends to get shuffled down to 9 or lower anyways during that process.

Themata

Postby Themata » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:59 am UTC

mkay i've changed RAM to http://www.oz-digital.com.au/index.php? ... 6c71237b9b

and im getting an e8400 instead of 8500

psykx

Postby psykx » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:00 pm UTC

the biostar T power p45 motherboards are getting rave reviews and are supposed to be the best overclockers available for anywhere near the money. Have you looked at getting a quad core?
Berengal wrote:Only if they're killer robots. Legos are happy robots. Besides, even if they were killer robots it wouldn't stop me. You can't stop science and all that.

Themata

Postby Themata » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:02 pm UTC

I've looked at getting a quad but figured that I'd get higher clocks for a lower price with a dual. I'm not sure whether that means better performance though

For around the same price i can get a 2.4ghz quad, would it be worth it?

Also, my friend is trying to convince me to get the ddr3 version of the motherboard, which is $50 more. Is it worth it?

Scoopster

Postby Scoopster » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:41 pm UTC

Heads up - Newegg has that mobo at $193, CPU at $165, and memory at $60.

BTW It's a fine motherboard but quite pricey. Is there's something specific that you needed? (I'm guessing the Coax + Optical, only thing that really stood out from the P5Q Pro or Turbo)

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:51 pm UTC

Unfortunately, Newegg, to my knowledge, does not ship down under.

And I sorta think that your choice of motherboard is a bit overkill, and if you can get Phenom II 720 Blacks, those are serious gaming business. And I have never met a Thermaltake case I liked.

Scoopster

Postby Scoopster » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Oooh.. didn't realize this was going to Australia!

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 am UTC

Just a comparison

Go with the Gigabyte. The UD3P has 2 PCIe x16's and gets better ratings than the entire rest of the lot. It also has the optical and coaxial. If you hate Gigabyte and don't need both, go with one of the cheaper ones. There's even a microATX in there, to save you a case.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:42 am UTC

Why do you need 2x PCI-E slots? Oh right, you don't. Get a motherboard that costs half as much using the same chipset except with 1 PCI-E slot. Spend the money getting a faster video card.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Themata

Postby Themata » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:07 am UTC

The GA-EP45-UD3P was what I was planning on getting originally, but then I fell in love with that Asus board. Is there really no benefit in getting the P5Q deluxe? Frankly, I'm currently torn between the two boards. I do agree that the 3x PCI-E on the P5Q is overkill, but I've also checked reviews and the P5Q has seemed to come out above the UD3P. Can anyone provide some insight into this? I really don't know which to choose.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:22 pm UTC

If you're not overclocking, get the cheapest motherboard you can find that has what you need. I've always used Asus mobos myself, which are a pretty safe bet, but there are definitely other decent manufacturers out there.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Themata

Postby Themata » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:55 pm UTC

Actually I was intending to OC. I just love the look and the features of the P5Q Deluxe and think it'll be a sexy board to plug my RAM into. Also, my parents might be paying for the motherboard as my birthday present, leaving me paying $482, so the cost factor isn't a huge issue. Anything under $300 is suitable for the board, and the P5Q Deluxe seems to fit that nicely. So am I strongly discouraged from getting this board? Should I just stick with a GA-EP45-UD3P?

mosc

Postby mosc » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:28 pm UTC

The only strong discouragement is the price. Costs about $200 more than similar boards that do pretty much everything else you want. The exception might be some CPU overclocking but the cost benefit here is really low. You're not spending much on your processor so really you'd be better off spending money elsewhere rather than the motherboard. The only reason to consider spending that kind of money is if you've already exhausted other cost effective performance increases and want to push things further with overclocking.

You could do an i7 system for the kind of money you're talking about. That would be a much more effective use of your money. What exactly about the deluxe do you love so much?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Scoopster

Postby Scoopster » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:07 pm UTC

Themata wrote:The GA-EP45-UD3P was what I was planning on getting originally....

I just got this one yesterday to replace my nForce 680i board. Installing tomorrow! :D

crzftx

Postby crzftx » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:40 pm UTC

The UD3 series is always praised for it's overclocking utility. I have the UD3R (one less LAN and one less PCIe x16 or something) and it works beautifully. You said something about you think the P5Q Deluxe comes out ahead? A lot of people disagree with you

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R (651 ratings)
5: 76%
4: 14%
3: 2%
2: 2%
1: 6%

ASUS P5Q Deluxe (181 ratings)
5: 71%
4: 13%
3: 9%
2: 1%
1: 6%

Less people really like the P5Q, and more people find it "just mediocre". However, slightly less people hated it.
I think it ends up being which company you'd rather support, and how nice to your parents you want to be (spending more/less money)

Themata

Postby Themata » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:19 am UTC

mosc wrote:You could do an i7 system for the kind of money you're talking about. That would be a much more effective use of your money. What exactly about the deluxe do you love so much?

I already checked how much an i7 system would cost me. It'd end up about $1050 instead of $760, and thats with most of the cheaper i7 gear I can find.

The motherboard is only ~$60 more than the UD3P and $70 more than the UD3R, which are the only other two boards it really consider getting. There isn't much choice of motherboards at vendors around here, and all the decent ones cost close to or upward of $200.

Not too sound stupid or anything but I love the look of the Deluxe as well. Not many vendors around here sell the D5Q-E, and the ones that do sell it for MORE than I can find the Deluxe for. It's still a toss up between the UD3's or the D5Q Deluxe. Someone send me to the right one :P

Also, my other question:

DDR3. Worth looking at?

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:54 pm UTC

Themata wrote:It's still a toss up between the UD3's or the D5Q Deluxe. Someone send me to the right one :P
Go cheap and upgrade often.

DDR3. Worth looking at?
No.

mosc

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:59 pm UTC

Axman wrote:Go cheap and upgrade often.

Yes yes yes, a a thousand times YES. This is the secret to living in the 21st century.

stephentyrone

Postby stephentyrone » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:02 pm UTC

mosc wrote:This is the secret to living in the 20th century.

/puts on fireproof suit

Fixed that for you. This is not an especially sustainable approach to things (neither economically nor environmentally). It worked for a while, but sure seems like the good ol' boom days are winding down.
GENERATION -16 + 31i: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum. Square it, and then add i to the generation.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:55 am UTC

mosc wrote:
Axman wrote:Go cheap and upgrade often.

Yes yes yes, a a thousand times YES. This is the secret to living in the 21st century.

Starting to lean off topic here...but that philosophy will lead you to a life of slavitude to walmart, constantly replacing the crappy things with more crappy things. I take the tried and true: Buy quality, once.

Aiming more on topic: Computers are too diverse a world to pigeon hole any specific buying method, everyone has different thresholds and expectations from what they want out of them. I don't buy cheap in this field and as such I upgrade in larger costs but far more distant lengths of time. The trick with this particular method of computer purchasing is to have a few friends (difficult, I know :P), the ability to resell your parts to them as your hunger for more power grows is hugely beneficial in reducing the cost of those upgrades. They get a trusted source of 'cheaper' but high end parts and you get a heavy discount on your upgrades, its been a most excellent experience for myself and my buddies over the years.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm UTC

Things don't have to be expensive in order to be of a high quality.
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Axman

Postby Axman » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:35 pm UTC

BumpInTheNight wrote:They get a trusted source of 'cheaper' but high end parts and you get a heavy discount on your upgrades, its been a most excellent experience for myself and my buddies over the years.
But you can do this with a better return if you shorten the amount of time between purchases.

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm UTC

Axman wrote:
BumpInTheNight wrote:They get a trusted source of 'cheaper' but high end parts and you get a heavy discount on your upgrades, its been a most excellent experience for myself and my buddies over the years.
But you can do this with a better return if you shorten the amount of time between purchases.

For sure, I'll admit that its more based on did anything significantly better then my current hardware come out or reach a price point I'm willing to pay for. As it stands for instance because of how well my pair of 8800GTXes have stood up compared to the last two generations of video cards I'm likely going to end up skipping them all for what ever comes out in Q3, and even then wait until perhaps boxing day to buy it/them. The 285s are *almost* tempting me but as there isn't a card crushing crysi' type game out there that is stretching the envelope I haven't been sold on them.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:47 pm UTC

BumpInTheNight wrote:Starting to lean off topic here...but that philosophy will lead you to a life of slavitude to walmart, constantly replacing the crappy things with more crappy things. I take the tried and true: Buy quality, once.

Mzyxptlk wrote:Things don't have to be expensive in order to be of a high quality.

This.

There's a difference between buying things that are low quality and buying things of equal quality that have different costs for other reasons. Buying computer parts on the lower end of the computing-power spectrum is more cost efficient, and that's the argument mosc and Axman are making. They're not saying to buy lower quality parts--and, in fact, parts where there is a significant quality difference between the low/high end stuff can often be reused between builds--things like cases, monitors, and peripherals (and maybe PSUs) are not things that necessarily need to be replaced every time you build a new computer.

The argument for buying higher quality things at a higher price is most definitely one that can be made, but that's not the argument that's being had.

Themata

Postby Themata » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:37 am UTC

Ok I've decided I'm getting the GA-EP45-UD3R for $187 instead of the P5Q deluxe for $279. I woulda gone for the UD3P for $229 but I decided I wasn't gonna be using crossfire in the future, since I'm currently using an Nvidia card and I'm not likely to buy two cards anytime soon. I woulda used the logic that the second PCI-E was there in case I ever need it, but then I realised that by the time I'd need to do crossfire I'd have already upgraded to another board.

This drops the total on my price to $664. Much lower.
Last edited by Themata on Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:28 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Themata

Postby Themata » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

I ended up getting:

GA-EP45T-UD3R: $187
G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333 [NQ]: $79
Core2duo e8400 3.0ghz: $257

Total: $523

Case: None yet

ash.gti

Postby ash.gti » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 pm UTC

Themata wrote:I ended up getting:

GA-EP45T-UD3R: $187
G.Skill 2GB (2x1GB) DDR3 1333 [NQ]: $79
Core2duo e8400 3.0ghz: $257

Total: $523

Case: None yet

All you need is:
Spoiler:
That looks perfectly safe! Be sure to add a few wind chimes to it and hang it on the front porch
# drinks WAY to much espresso

Themata

Postby Themata » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:23 am UTC

Hahaha epic.

I got my V9 yesterday. It's super quiet and cools like a dream. Doesn't seem nearly as flimsy as people stated in reviews so I'm guessing Thermaltake have corrected that problem.

Looks great too ;)

Spoiler:

BumpInTheNight

Postby BumpInTheNight » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Yes indeed those are sexy cases, one of the best features is how those ports are up top but in a little pocket so its quite viable to keep the case itself below the desk/your reach while still retaining that front port functionality. My only complaint with them is the lack of side panel fan aimed at the PCIE ports but that's really more of an issue in SLI/crossfire configurations any ways so you'll be good to go.

Btw, what's the with cap guns? :P

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:23 pm UTC

ash.gti wrote:All you need is:
Spoiler:
That looks perfectly safe! Be sure to add a few wind chimes to it and hang it on the front porch

Dude, my friends and I totally did that. Well, not quite. It wasn't hooked up because we had to make a mobile, so we made "Micro Center on a Stick." Micro Center was not involved.

Themata

Postby Themata » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:28 am UTC

BumpInTheNight wrote:Btw, what's the with cap guns? :P

Haha friends were messing around with cap guns last week, I haven't moved them.

Yeah, the other model of this case has side fans but it was hard enough to find this one in stock.
I overclocked my CPU last night, running at 3.6ghz on stock cooling, don't wanna push it any higher with the stock cooler though.

Return to “Hardware”