Postby traltixx » Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:37 am UTC

Hi,
So I got myself a shiny new computer with the following spec:
-Intel Core i7-920 2.66Ghz
-Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
-Kingston 6GB DDR3 1333
-Noctua NH-U12P performance CPu cooler
-Inno3D PCI-E 896M GTX260
Turns out the cpu cooler won't fit the motherboard's holes. Does anyone know of a common and cheap (less than 100 bucks) cpu cooler that is better than the one that came with the processor (default). It is lingering at 40-45 C right now and that is not even under any load. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Emu*

Re: cpu cooler for new motherboard

Postby Emu* » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

I'll assume you have the 1366 version and not the 755 version? Are you trying to use the bolt-through mounting?
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

traltixx

Postby traltixx » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 am UTC

I didnt realize there was a difference between the makes of the cpu-cooler for that model. It did come with two methods of mounting it and I tried both and either of them wont fit.

Mzyxptlk

Postby Mzyxptlk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:18 am UTC

40-45 degrees is pretty normal for an idle CPU with boxed cooler. Certainly not something to worry about. How does it perform under load?
"Once upon a time, an infinite number of people lived perfect, blissful, eternal lives."

Axman

Postby Axman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:05 pm UTC

I remember getting a press release from Noctua saying they were making universal i7 mounting kits that would work with most of their heatsinks. Send them an email to see if you can get one.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:57 pm UTC

Stick with the box cooler. That's my advise. 45C is pretty cool m8. If it goes above 65C, you should start to care. I seriously doubt it will.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:39 pm UTC

mosc wrote:Stick with the box cooler. That's my advise. 45C is pretty cool

If you can stand the noise. With a good aftermarket cooler you could get sub 50 temperatures and sub 20dba at the same time... Silentpcreview.com did a review on the new i7 boxed cooler, I think the result was something like "better than the 755 version but still not good".

Call or email Noctua and tell them what motherboard you've got, and which fitting kit you think you have.
Cosmologicon wrote:Emu* implemented a naive east-first strategy and ran it for an hour, producing results that rivaled many sophisticated strategies, visiting 614 cells. For this, Emu* is awarded Best Deterministic Algorithm!

traltixx

Postby traltixx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 am UTC

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and contact Noctua but I havent tried to do measurements under load. I know as long as its under 50-55, it should be fine, but its like a fine line and I fear that overusing it (using it for 12-hrs under load) might overheat it.
Thanks again

kernelpanic

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 am UTC

Is it impossible to fit in, as in off by several mm?, Or the holes align well, and it is very, very, very difficult to get in? When I got my Core Quad, I spent some 2 hours trying to get the fucking fan in. Someone gave me a really good thermal paste for free, but I'm afraid to put it just because of the ordeal. Maybe when I buy a new fan...
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:06 am UTC

traltixx wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and contact Noctua but I havent tried to do measurements under load. I know as long as its under 50-55, it should be fine, but its like a fine line and I fear that overusing it (using it for 12-hrs under load) might overheat it.
Thanks again

Overheating starts around 70c and most processors can endure 80+. The real reason to keep temperatures below 50 is for overclocking.

traltixx

Postby traltixx » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:38 am UTC

It is impossible to fit the plate in as I'd say the difference between the holes in the plate and the holes in the motherboard are off by centimeters (probably less than 10). If I try to align one hole, the other 3 are off by centimeters.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:17 pm UTC

Sounds like you have the old version which fits 755 (core 2 etc) rather than the socket 1366 version. The new socket is bigger, but the i7 boxed cooler looks pretty much like the core 2 boxed cooler, except for size.

Axman

Postby Axman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:43 pm UTC

*cough*775*cough*

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm UTC

Axman wrote:
traltixx wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I will try and contact Noctua but I havent tried to do measurements under load. I know as long as its under 50-55, it should be fine, but its like a fine line and I fear that overusing it (using it for 12-hrs under load) might overheat it.
Thanks again

Overheating starts around 70c and most processors can endure 80+. The real reason to keep temperatures below 50 is for overclocking.

+1... I've seen tests done for CPUs running at quoted speeds held at 80C for months. Also remember that the CPU can throttle itself in just a few ms. Even if you ripped the cooler off, it wouldn't overheat (not since Athlon XP and PIVs came out). It will never let itself fry.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Emu*

Postby Emu* » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:00 am UTC

Axman wrote:*cough*775*cough*

Meh, I'm running an AM-2 board :lol:

GuitarFreak

Postby GuitarFreak » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:14 pm UTC

I'd either pick up a TRUE or a xigmatek s1283. They're two of the best coolers around, and for the i7, you'll need it.
Cooler than a bose-einstein condensate
Bakemaster wrote:I went to high school with a girl whose middle name was Nguyen and whose last name was Huynh. It was a win-win situation.

Return to “Hardware”