Easiest and cheapest and fastest way to fix loose video card

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Alexander The 1st

Easiest and cheapest and fastest way to fix loose video card

Postby Alexander The 1st » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:54 am UTC

Here's my issue:

Currently, I'm running Vista 32-bit on my computer [This is not my computer I'm typing on], and the NVidia LEforce 7350 video card I have for it [Which, for the last two years, has been working fine, maybe not as well the last 3 months or so] is now starting to really annoy me.

Excluding the fact that it's apparently outdated for any games I get for my computer, it's now, from what a friend of mine diagnosed from what I explained as the problem, got some loose connections.

Rather, more likely just the connections to the monitor.

So I'm planning on changing it out soon, but I still need it for the time being.

What's happening now is that, on boot, it will show some text, and I can boot it, get to the login screen, and login, but if I spend about one-two minutes from loging in to say, IE, Mass Effect, or even just idling, my monitor reports "No Signal" and doesn't re-activate, no matter how much I try and use what I would to toggle it from power-saving mode.

So my guess is that the best choice is to flat out swap it out, but as I'm busy with courses this week, how could I troubleshoot and get a slightly better connection out of my video card?
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Re: Easiest and cheapest and fastest way to fix loose video card

Postby phlip » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:03 am UTC

Does the computer halt entirely when this happens, or does the screen just turn off?

Try playing some music and waiting for it to happen, see if it keeps playing after... or try pressing Numlock or Capslock afterwards, see if the lights still change.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Alexander The 1st

Postby Alexander The 1st » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:19 am UTC

It doesn't halt itself, just the monitor.

Mass Effect [for example], still plays whatever speech is going on when it cuts out, and moving the mouse in said game will cause it to affirm my choice, but the screen stops reporting information. Oh, and the music still plays, I can still get my character killed when it happens. So it's not a full crash; that said, I don't often get BSODs on this comp. Got one recently today [After troubleshooting as below], though.

It seems to have gotten better now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it un-responsive later today.

Occasionally, I try and troubleshoot this by hooking up both the S-video and monitor cables up [It's got two ports, so I just hook the S-video up to my CRTV [Through an RF modulator] and it'll work.], and I can sometimes get the S-video when the monitor doesn't work, and vice versa. Almost always, however, I'll need to restart the whole computer, and then the screen comes back on. Which, when I make no adjustments to the actual input itself sometimes [The cables, etc.], seems like a very weird solution.
...YOU DIDN'T SEE ANYTHING...

graphite

Postby graphite » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 am UTC

apply hammer directly to card.

Simple, fast, and cheap
Results not guaranteed.

Return to “Hardware”