Dual-Booting Issues

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Dual-Booting Issues

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:31 pm UTC

I have an old laptop with Windows XP and about 6 months ago a friend put Ubuntu on it. I never use ubuntu, so have just been flipping down to the XP partition on GRUB everytime I boot up, which is a bit annoying but not the end of the world.

Now the laptop is starting to get fritzy, full of junk and running out of space. So I've backed up everything I need and want to wipe it and reinstall a fresh XP OS.

Problem is I can't seem to get it to recognize when I have a boot disc in, or even get it to recognize when I have a flashdrive with Dban ready to go. Is there something I'm just missing, about preempting GRUB or windows or whatever, so I can format the thing and get going fresh again? Any help is appreciated!

(My tech savviness is on the low end)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

graphite

Re: Dual-Booting Issues

Postby graphite » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:11 pm UTC

First, that is a Windows disk, right? Make sure it says something along the lines of "Windows XP disk 1" and not "Windows XP disk 2","Applications",or "Utilities".

Inspect the CD for signs of damage.

Check that your BIOS is set to boot from CD (boot from CD should have a higher priority than boot from HDD (this setting should already be correct given that you have Ubuntu on your box)).

If your Windows disk is still not recognized try to boot a Linux LiveCD to check that your computer can boot from the CD drive (and that the CD drive works).

Another option that may be possible is to format the Linux partition and add the newly allocated space to the Windows partition. I haven't played with partitions lately I'm not sure if this is possible. If it is possible, it would be much faster than reinstalling windows and you get to keep all your data. To be safe, this should be done with the windows partition mounted so it isn't accidentally formatted

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Dual-Booting Issues

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:13 pm UTC

Problem fixed, now installing windows on a completely empty laptop
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Return to “Hardware”