GPU Heat Dispersion Problems

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

thecommabandit

GPU Heat Dispersion Problems

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:30 pm UTC

I recently (about a week ago) built a new computer. I used my old graphics card in it because it's good, but I've been having some serious heat problems with it. With the case on, the GPU idles at around 60°C (140°F). When under load (DX9 Crysis running with everything on High in 1280x1024 with 4x antialiasing), it shoots up to the seventies (around 160°F ish). The main problem is that the computer overheats and crashes, dumping its memory. Not only is this annoying, but I doubt it's doing no harm to my computer.

Quick specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7850 Black Edition CPU (overclocked to 2.9GHz)
M3N-H/HDMI motherboard
Zotac GeForce 9600 GT graphics card
4GB OCZ DDR2 1066MHz RAM

My CPU fan is drawing in air from the case and I have a case fan putting the hot air out, but both of these are above the GPU. The GPU has a fan, but the heatsinks for it are on the same plane and the fan doesn't seem to be sucking or blowing - I think it might be pulling air laterally across the heatsinks, but I haven't managed to find out where it's taking in and putting out the air. I recently pulled the GPU out to try and clean it of dust, but the case covering the guts is secured by the tiniest screws known to man and I haven't found a screwdriver that can turn them at all. I used a McGyver'd vacuum cleaner to suck the dust covering the entry points of the heatsink by the fan, but it only lowered the idle temperature by 5°C (the temperatures I gave above are the ones after cleaning that dust out).

I'd be grateful for any help - I built this thing for gaming but random overheats kinda kill the immersion.

kernelpanic

Re: GPU Heat Dispersion Problems

Postby kernelpanic » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 am UTC

That same thing was happening to me, until I put some good-quality thermal paste on. I recommend Arctic Silver, but a friend (With the same problem) used [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835426020] this one. A bit too expensive, it's less viscous and the difference with Arctic Silver was almost none. But it does include a really useful spreader.
I'm not disorganized. My room has a high entropy.
Bhelliom wrote:Don't forget that the cat probably knows EXACTLY what it is doing is is most likely just screwing with you. You know, for CAT SCIENCE!

falthazar

Postby falthazar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:51 am UTC

You can also use something like RivaTuner to just turn the fan up, but that's not as good of a fix as the thermal paste of course.

L337R3dN3k

Postby L337R3dN3k » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 am UTC

Double check the other components in your build. Be sure your ram chips don't have errors and your processor is not overheating, among other things. See, you can put better thermal paste in your graphics card or over-volt the fan, but I have a feeling that's not your primary problem. GPU's usually don't start to become unstable until they get past 80C, and some will run fine even when you're pushing 100C.

Themata

Postby Themata » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:35 am UTC

Yeah not sure if the graphics card is your problem here. Mine managed to run at 80'C at times in my old case and didn't give me any grief. I'd check out the other component in your build to see if they're whats causing strife.

Atmosck

Postby Atmosck » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Those temps don't sound out of the ordinary for a 9600GT. When I had one, it was about the same and stable. Run a memtest86+ to see if your memory is in shape, and check (you'll probably have to go to the bios for this) your chipset temps (that can sneak up on you. I was having the same issue, and then found out my nb was 100C! An additional fan fixed that.)

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 am UTC

The problem with putting new thermal paste on the GPU is that, as I mentioned before, I cannot open the GPU's case. Tiniest screws known to man an' all. The CPU is at fine temperatures: it idles at around 40°C and doesn't heat up much more than ten degrees or so under load.

Now that you mention chipset temperatures... I have HWMonitor and there are three readings that I assumed were the mobo. The first two are fairly low and very stable, but the third one is very erratic and high. I dismissed it as an error or something because it seemed illogical that something could go from 87°C to 124°C inside of a second... I guess that could be the problem? >.> I've been eying suspiciously this integrated GPU in my motherboard. I think it's a GeForce 8300 but it has a copper heatsink and no fan. I've been trying to find some option to just plain turn it off since I already have a better GPU, but to no avail. It's in a bit of an awkward place, however, and mounting a fan for it may be difficult.

Themata

Postby Themata » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:27 pm UTC

The integrated video on the motherboard should automatically switch off when there's a GPU in one of the expansion slots... The problem here could be that your integrated chip is still running and conflicting with your GPU. Go through control panel, performance and maintenance, system, hardware, device manager, expand the display adapter tab and right click the onboard graphics and disable it. (Thats how it's done in XP anyway, Vista shouldn't be too different)

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

There's only my 9600GT under that tab. As far as I know, the BIOS has told the onboard graphics to turn off when it detects another GPU. But the heatsink for it is still getting hot during operation (I checked with my finger, possibly dangerous but i works).

I've hacked together a solution which may or may not be working... I've taken an old processor fan and mounted it where the old case fan was. That shit can push air. Then the old case fan has been relocated by the HDDs for a front intake fan. It sounds like a god-damn AC unit now, but everything has cooled down... except that third chipset reading! It's still flitting between 85°C and 124°C as it pleases. This is making me think more that it may be a faulty sensor. I'll have to test it under load though to see if it shuts down again.

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:57 pm UTC

One thing you can try is removing the slot cover immediately below the video card. It would probably increase your computers Electro-Magnetic Radiation, but may let some video card heat out.

The picture of the card I found Google searching (orange fan?) looks like the air enters at the fan and comes out near the rear-panel connectors.
Did you get the number on that truck?

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:04 pm UTC

Crysis still died, even with the CPU fan exhausting hot air. Everything else in the case cooled down by at least five degrees, some as much as ten, but Crysis still died the exact same way. It seems quite clear to me now that it's that temperature sensor malfunctioning and causing the computer to think it's overheating. I'm returning it for a replacement.

Return to “Hardware”