Online computer builders?

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Shou-kun

Online computer builders?

Postby Shou-kun » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 pm UTC

Does anyone know of any reliable/trustworthy computer makers for a gamer? By that i mean anywhere that the bios is configured correctly and it gets to me working and in one piece.

zug

Re: Online computer builders?

Postby zug » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:51 pm UTC

I think pretty much anything you get from newegg with a decent set of specs would serve (show the specs to a techie you know, or to someone on the forum, if you're not hardware-savvy yourself). And if it's DOA you can RMA it and get a new one. They do sell prebuilt towers built by third party assemblers. I'm thinking about going that route when I buy my next computer in a few months here.

I don't know specifically what assembling companies they use, but I figure if it's through newegg it's going to be something reliable. Just check the comments and number of eggs for every potential product within your spec and price range and get the best-looking one.

AFAIK they work out of the box. You'd probably have to install the OS yourself unless you paid them to do it before shipping, but I'm not 100% on that. Everything should be hooked up before they ship it though.
Velifer wrote:Go to the top of a tower, drop a heavy weight and a photon, observe when they hit the ground.

Axman

Postby Axman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 pm UTC

I did this with help from my dad when I was 12, and built my own machine when I was, I think, 15-16. There are so many people here who can help you that you should consider buying all the parts yourself and making your own. It's also rewarding, and will help you down the road. What you'll need is:

A screwdriver with four tips, the kind with a larger and smaller and smaller Philips tip, preferably magnetic
Zip ties

What you'll need to build a complete computer, in order of importance/ money spent:

These are your core parts and what you'll spend most of your budget on:

Video card
Processor
Motherboard
Memory, aka RAM

These are the secondary parts, you'll spend less on this stuff, but if there's something in particular you want, you can splurge on it:

Power supply
Hard drive
Optical drive
Case
Wireless card (if you don't have ethernet)
Card reader
Keyboard
Mouse
Speakers
Monitor

The biggest advantage is that you'll end up with a vastly more powerful machine than if you pay someone else to do it.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:11 am UTC

Axman wrote:Power supply

I'd just advise not going too skimpy on that one. You don't want one blowing everything else up ;)

Pinky's Brain

Postby Pinky's Brain » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:07 am UTC

Mwave is pretty well known and will assemble and test a fully custom system for you, alternatively there is stuff like Dell of course.

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v3 ... =assemtest

PS. if you're made of money and service is of utmost importance to you there are the high end system builders too like Falcon Northwest and Puget, personally I prefer shops which sell parts at competitive prices and offer assembly on the side though, it makes a ton of difference in price in the end, and mwave has a decent reputation.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:03 pm UTC

ibuypower also. The prices seem good and I haven't seen anything negative about them.

But you can save money by building yourself. It's not that hard, just plug everything into everything else when it arrives. We (as a forum) can suggest parts if you do that. Even for a top-end gaming PC there's no need to spend more than $600 for the non-peripheral, non-software parts.

I would agree with the assessment above; you want to spend the most on the video card, then CPU, then motherboard, then memory.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

Return to “Hardware”