Cases

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

TheKrikkitWars

Cases

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:35 pm UTC

Where can I get massive ATX, or E-ATX cases from cheap, they can be as ugly as you like, so long as they're towers with lots of 5.25" bays. (In many respects I'd prefer beige, for a nostalgic kick).

I'm planning a dedicated ripping box to backup my friends collection of over 10000 (and counting) dvd's.
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

hintss

Re: Cases

Postby hintss » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:04 am UTC

if its out of public view, just don't use a case.

also, http://www.google.com/product_url?q=htt ... n&sa=title

phillipsjk

Postby phillipsjk » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:38 pm UTC

Dumpster Diving? Beige ATX case have been around for 12 years now. If you know what you are looking for, you may be able to buy or receive free of charge an old PentiumII machine. Depending on the hardware you are going to be using you may need a new power supply.

So your "Friend" wants to "back up" Ten thousand DVDs? If you are producing multiple "backups" of specific movies, you may just want to contract a pressing plant to do the work. I would probably be cheaper, and produce a higher quality copy :mrgreen:
Did you get the number on that truck?

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

I have one I want to get rid of that you can have for shipping. It's horribly ugly, but not beige. I can get a picture tonight.

GeorgeH

Postby GeorgeH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:06 pm UTC

Cheap? Seriously?

If you've really got 10,000 DVDs to backup, you're looking at 50-70TB worth of storage, or about $5k worth of hard drives. Throw in the system components necessary to mount those HDDs and do the ripping (including the 20+ DVD drives you'll need to perform the rip in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe) and you're easily going to be pushing $8k-10k, depending on how you do it. Throw in RAID because there's no way in hell you're not going to have disk failures with that amount of storage and you'll find yourself closing in on $20k with alarming speed.

Now you want to save ~$50-100 on cases? Something does not compute. When you factor in that even at $5 each you've got a $50,000 collection, it looks even more absurd.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

I think it was Chenbro that used to make a case. It was double wide and was spec'd for redundant power supplies. Both sides of the front had 5 1/4" bays and it had some rear facing as well. The entire box fit I believe 26x external 5 1/4" slots. Memory's a little fuzzy. I spec'd it out for a customer one time with each having a 3 1/2" hard drive, it's own cooling/hot swap mount, etc. had 5x controllers each was going to have 5 disks in a RAID 5 configuration (4 disks worth of useful space) so basically 20 disks worth of space and a burner drive. That'd be 40TB by today's standards. Could probably build the whole thing for <$10,000 if you were wise about it.

Eh, if you were at all serious about this you'd be looking at rackmount stuff. You can get some serious 5U boxes that store a ton of disks:
http://www.mypccase.com/ch5urasewi24.html
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 pm UTC

Even with that he'd still need something for 5.25" drives.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:41 pm UTC

Not to mention, sitting there loading 10,000 DVDs is going to be.. boring? Even if you can do it 8 at a time or whatever.

You're also gonna want something like this or this.

Also: If they're your friend's 10,000 DVDs, are they going to be stumping up for this? Seems it'd only be fair.

EDIT: For this guy doing it better. And also to say that one of the others suggests pressing as well, for 500+, although I'm not sure whether they'd do 10,000 different DVDs as cheaply as 10,000 duplicate DVDs. That and they'd probably be unhappy about copying 10,000 copyrighted titles.
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

TheKrikkitWars

Postby TheKrikkitWars » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:30 pm UTC

GeorgeH wrote:Cheap? Seriously?

If you've really got 10,000 DVDs to backup, you're looking at 50-70TB worth of storage, or about $5k worth of hard drives. Throw in the system components necessary to mount those HDDs and do the ripping (including the 20+ DVD drives you'll need to perform the rip in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe) and you're easily going to be pushing $8k-10k, depending on how you do it. Throw in RAID because there's no way in hell you're not going to have disk failures with that amount of storage and you'll find yourself closing in on $20k with alarming speed.

Now you want to save ~$50-100 on cases? Something does not compute. When you factor in that even at $5 each you've got a $50,000 collection, it looks even more absurd.

I have two years to do this in... and two years to buy the drives in a piecemeal fashion. I can't make a big outlay, I can keep investing slowly, thats why every penny saved counts (equally the HDD's don't all need to be continually accessable once they've been fully written, they can be swapped out for clean ones and archived physically).
Great things are done when Men & Mountains meet,
This is not Done by Jostling in the Street.

GeorgeH

Postby GeorgeH » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:27 am UTC

I see. Then, as phillipsjk said, your best bet is "dumpster diving", which means a trip your local electronic waste disposal facility. You could try online, but the kind of thing you're looking for is big and heavy, meaning shipping will almost certainly kill any savings you might find.

How successful your search will be is obviously highly regional (in the greater SF Bay Area/Silicon Valley you'll find hordes of people begging you to take their old PC and server cases away, but not so much in backwoods Montana) so hopefully your past self exhibited some degree of prescience in their choice of geographical location. In other words, good luck. :)

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

hintss wrote:if its out of public view, just don't use a case.

also, http://www.google.com/product_url?q=htt ... n&sa=title

Had to say. Dontcha love that "Powerful" 235-watt PSU. :D
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Return to “Hardware”