Remote Control

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Levi

Remote Control

Postby Levi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 am UTC

I'm looking to build some sort of vehicle that I can control from a distance (up to 100+ feet). I really want to make a submarine, but I figure I should start with a car to figure out exactly what I'm doing. Problem is, I have to do this on a budget, and the cheapest wireless solutions I can find are $100+. If anyone has any tips on where to find cheap stuff for the project or any other advice, please help me out.

hintss

Re: Remote Control

Postby hintss » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:58 am UTC

arduino + XBee seems to add to exactly $100 in my mind...

Levi

Postby Levi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 pm UTC

It looks like if I get the cheapest versions of each, it'll only be $50. Now to figure out how to make it work...

hintss

Postby hintss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:04 am UTC

remote end: send data over serial

vehicle end: receive data over serial and react.

as for the wiring, etc, look at the eagle files for the arduino xbee shield...

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:43 am UTC

I've never used them, but the RF Link Transmitters & Receivers look like they might work.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

omglolbah

Postby omglolbah » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 am UTC

If you plan on making some ROVs I would really -really- strongly suggest you start out with them using a cable for power and control.

Having a tail on the bugger makes life a lot easier when you have an issue with it. Having to get a diver-friend to retrieve your ROV sucks ;)

That said the xbee suggestion and the RF transmitters both should work fine above water. Below water though it depends on the frequency. Any high frequency signal is going to get attenuated by passing through water, especially salt-water. If you google for "rf through water" you should find some articles on the subject.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:08 am UTC

so, 900 MHz XBees?

omglolbah

Postby omglolbah » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:10 pm UTC

From reading online forums for scuba-related RF gear it seems that 900mhz signals would be unreliabe in longer than 3 feet distances....

Generally the lower the frequency the better for transmitting through water.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

hmmm...

AFAIK, they don't make XBees lower than that...

omglolbah

Postby omglolbah » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

From what I see most if not all of those that make underwater remote controlled things a tether is used. It makes it a whole lot easier to do.

Have a look here for an excellent example of a rather spiffy ROV :D

http://www.hobbysubmarines.com/index.php

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:39 am UTC

I've decided to go with the car, since it is clear that I will not be near a large body of water by the time I finish building a sub. So, my plan is to buy an Arduino Duemilanove, an Xbee shield, and an Xbee module. The plan is to have an electric motor turning the wheels and another one to steer the thing, and then be able to control it directly from my superabacus. Is this going to work? This page talks about how to use the Xbee shield, and it says that you can use it to have two Xbee-equipped Arduino boards talk to each other, and that makes me think I might not be able to use it to communicate with my superabacus.

EDIT: I also can't seem to find where it says what sort of power it uses.

hintss

Postby hintss » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:32 am UTC

Levi wrote:I've decided to go with the car, since it is clear that I will not be near a large body of water by the time I finish building a sub. So, my plan is to buy an Arduino Duemilanove, an Xbee shield, and an Xbee module. The plan is to have an electric motor turning the wheels and another one to steer the thing, and then be able to control it directly from my superabacus. Is this going to work? This page talks about how to use the Xbee shield, and it says that you can use it to have two Xbee-equipped Arduino boards talk to each other, and that makes me think I might not be able to use it to communicate with my superabacus.

EDIT: I also can't seem to find where it says what sort of power it uses.

XBee shield regulates power pulled from arduino, if I remember right from my research on arduino last night (remember, i want one), it uses 7v, so the regulators can reduce it to 5v, and you need a second XBee somewhere, either in an XBee explorer connected to a computer, or another arduino, with control buttons. joystick shield?

Return to “Hardware”