New core i7 rig temp question

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

LittleChrist

New core i7 rig temp question

Postby LittleChrist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:30 am UTC

I recently built my first computer. It's replacing a few older machines that were lost in a fire, so the insurance check covered the build. The problem is, with a high-air-flow case and a fairly large CPU cooler, I expected to see my idle temperatures much lower. I have the CPU fan turned up all the way, and as I sit here typing, HWMonitor is telling me my core temps are:
Core #0 - 38C
Core #1 - 33C
Core #2 - 38C
Core #3 - 35C

Is this about average for a Core i7 930? Is it because the system is new and there is a break-in period? Is it caused by me applying too much thermal paste? I applied a small amount and spread it out with an old credit card very thinly. I then applied a thin line of thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5) on top of that before mounting the CPU cooler. Is this too much?

System Build:
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 850W
COOLER MASTER HAF 932
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
ATI H567Q1GD Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

m4d4sb34ns

Re: New core i7 rig temp question

Postby m4d4sb34ns » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:44 pm UTC

From the air cooler reviews I've seen, idling at 35-40 degrees seems pretty good. How are the temperatures under load?

I doubt the paste has caused a problem unless there was air trapped in the layer, but it sounds like you were careful enough with it.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:47 pm UTC

You're not going to get much lower than that with air cooling. It's the nature of the beast. 33C is very cool. Very very cool.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

LittleChrist

Postby LittleChrist » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:03 pm UTC

I guess the part that troubled me was the range. Is a 5C range between cores normal or am I looking for problems that aren't there? In addition, what's the best way to test the core temps under load?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."
~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:06 pm UTC

I wouldn't worry about it. Between manufacturing and sensor accuracy, there's going to be some variation. If you want to load it, get one of any number of CPU loading programs and have at it for a bit and see what it gets up to.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

LittleChrist wrote:I guess the part that troubled me was the range. Is a 5C range between cores normal or am I looking for problems that aren't there? In addition, what's the best way to test the core temps under load?

Temperature variation between cores is normal. 5C is nothing to worry about.

Best way to test under load is to use a software program designed to load down the computer and let it sit until temperatures stabilize.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Thor

Postby Thor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:35 pm UTC

I'm not sure about the newer i7s but what I've read is that the older one's specifically the 920 950 and 975 run hot compared to most CPUs

mine hasn't stepped above 47C ever and seeing as 90C is where you need to be worried I think you'll be fine.

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm UTC

The chips have built in thermal throttling. If they get too hot (say if you ripped the heatsink off which is the usual test), the processor will automatically reduce it's speed to protect itself. The only way to actually cook a modern CPU anymore is to do it with voltage. If you don't mess with the stock voltages and your chip is working correctly, it cannot overheat.

the.coding.eye

Postby the.coding.eye » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:50 pm UTC

Those temps look good. Heck, I wish my i7 ran that cool. It is in a laptop however. Right now mine is running around 50C. When I'm gaming and using all the power I can get, I routinely see temps in the upper 60C's and lower 70C's.
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Return to “Hardware”