First Computer Build. Help/Input Appreciated.

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Mr. Mack

First Computer Build. Help/Input Appreciated.

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:52 am UTC

I'm planning on my first computer build. I've done a good bit of research, but I'm not delusional enough to think that I'm qualified to tackle such a task without input from people who actually know about computers.
My main issues are:
    I'm not 100% sure if these parts will work together. I'm fairly certain, but not 100%. Especially the PSU. I couldn't find much on how to choose a PSU outside of some specs to look for.
    I'm not sure if these parts are as high quality as I think/have heard/read.
    I don't know if any of these parts are the best parts or best value.

I plan to use the computer for general use, gaming, and video production. The video editing/rendering is why I'm getting a quad core, that and my ADHD. I might just reuse my old GPU (Nvidia 8500 GT), but I'm getting a 520W PSU since I'll probably need to upgrade it eventually and some of the ones I looked at required a minimum of 500W. The rest of my choices are mostly just looking for the best value that can be upgraded well into the future.

Case: Antec 300 Black Steel
Mobo: MSI 870-GSI
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945
RAM: Corsair 4 GB (2x2)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black
PSU: Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W

So is this a good computer build? Will these parts work together? Are there better/comparable parts available for less? Should I get a new GPU for Christmas?

Thanks in advance for any help. Starting with reading through that wall of text.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

PhoenixEnigma

Re: First Computer Build. Help/Input Appreciated.

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 am UTC

As far as I can see, looks good - everything should work together, looks like it's all solid products from good companies, and the Phenom II is a good fit for the workload - it's in the same price range as the Core i3's, and it will absolutely destroy one of those in rendering and video encoding.

If you plan on playing modern games, you will probably also want a faster GPU - the 8500GT is getting kind of old, and wasn't particularly fast in it's day.

I'd also point out that 500GB is below the sweet spot for drives, in terms of $/GB. Of course, you can always throw in a 2TB storage drive or whatever later, so it's not a huge deal (and I think that's recommended practice for video production, anyways?)
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:32 pm UTC

looks great, especially now that the phenom 2 4x is on the decline of pricing. i am still running a phenom 2 X3 and it still doing great. \

like PEnigma said, the GPU is a bit old, yet you can always upgrade it on the go... same with RAM, more, later ;)
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:26 pm UTC

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. Guess I'll go ahead and order those parts as a Christmas present to myself.

Speaking of being selfish in December. If I were to get a new video card, how would I figure out which one? I'm thinking it'd be best to get something DirectX 11 compatible (I'm planning on getting Windows 7 OEM). My current monitor is an HP vp17 with a max resolution of 1280x1024, but it's also over three years old and I have no idea how much longer it'll last.

Would this Sapphire 5670 be the cheapest thing to meet my needs? Or would the Sapphire 5750 or Gigabyte 5770 be a better choice?

More than a few things I've read recommend the 5770, but I think those are assuming a higher resolution monitor that I don't plan to, but may, have at some point in the future.

Thanks again for any help!
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

Diffs: $30 - is the 30 dollars worth it?

Sapphire Radeon HD 5750

Core Clock
700MHz
Stream Processors
720 Stream Processing Units
Effective Memory Clock
1150MHz (4.6Gbps)

Gigabyte Radeon HD 5770
Core Clock
850MHz
Stream Processors
800 Stream Processing Units
Effective Memory Clock
1200MHz (4.8Gbps)
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

It's kind of important to know what kind of games you want to be playing before judging video cards. That said,the 5770 is in a good place at the moment, but both nVidia and ATi AMD are in the process of releasing new cards, so waiting a bit might not be a terrible idea. Also, again on the video production front, if your software of choice supports GPU acceleration, it might be worth trying to pick up a supported card.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:20 am UTC

Kromix wrote:Diffs: $30 - is the 30 dollars worth it?
I honestly don't know. Even though I understand most of those numbers, the exception being Stream Processing Units which evaded my Google-fu, I don't know if those increases are substantial or not.

PhoenixEnigma wrote:It's kind of important to know what kind of games you want to be playing before judging video cards. That said,the 5770 is in a good place at the moment, but both nVidia and ATi AMD are in the process of releasing new cards, so waiting a bit might not be a terrible idea. Also, again on the video production front, if your software of choice supports GPU acceleration, it might be worth trying to pick up a supported card.
Outside of indie games I mostly play FPS's and have recently taken a liking to racing games. That and whatever sounds like fun and is on sale on Steam. So, general use I suppose?

I was kind of wondering if the 5770 would be something worth owning since I need something to ask for for Christmas. I've asked for nothing for the past five years and now I have more nothing that I know what to do with.
Would waiting really be the best course of action?
"Bagpipes, YES!"

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:46 am UTC

Answer to "Is it worth the extra $30" - yes.

As for waiting - the 5770 is a perfectly good card. You can probably wring a little more bang out of your buck by waiting, but the AMD Radeon 6xxx line isn't really a huge step up in performance. With a 1024x1280 display, it'll handle pretty much whatever you throw at it fairly well. With that motherboard, you can also drop in a second one later if you need to.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:56 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:With that motherboard, you can also drop in a second one later if you need to.

Well now I feel silly. One of the reasons I bought that motherboard is because it allows for such a thing. Apparently I planned this computer out so long ago that I completely forgot about it.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Halleck

Postby Halleck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:05 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:I'd also point out that 500GB is below the sweet spot for drives, in terms of $/GB. Of course, you can always throw in a 2TB storage drive or whatever later, so it's not a huge deal (and I think that's recommended practice for video production, anyways?)

500 GB will not be enough space for any sustained video production. Especially if you are shooting in HD. You need at least a TB probably multiple TBs. I would recommend 4+ drives of at least 1 TB each in RAID 10 for video production. Maybe that's just because I'm impatient and paranoid though. Next purchase will be a SSD large enough to hold a project while it's in edit. No more slow hard drive error messages for me!

Return to “Hardware”