Headphones broke...again.

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Hooch

Headphones broke...again.

Postby Hooch » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm UTC

The pair that just broke, Sony MDR-G57, was actually an excellent pair. For sports headphones, they had great quality, and endured nearly a year of Headphone Auschwitz. However, the chord has unfortunately been damaged, and output only comes out of the left speaker. So it's time to buy some durable headphones again.

I tried to buy the same pair, but for reasons beyond my knowledge, the pair now costs $100, compared to what I believe was $30 when I looked for them previously. This sucks. Hard.

Since I'm not entirely sure as to what pair I should buy next, can anyone recommend high-quality headphones that can take a beating-and-a-half? I'll take just about any suggestions except for inner-ear headphones.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/user/DJNTDOfficial

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Re: Headphones broke...again.

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

Sennheiser 280s are heavy plastic and a spring chord. They're like $80 most places though, maybe too much?

I can't deal with "on ear" headphones though but maybe that's more what you're looking for in that pricerange?
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:24 am UTC

How long have you been using Seinnheisers, particularly that headphone model?

If I decide to crap out on the 280s, the 428s right below it seem just as reliable.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:32 am UTC

One thing with Sennheiser is that they tend to make replacing the cord anywhere from "dead easy" to "fairly practical." I haven't had my 280s long enough for wear and tear to be an issue, but based on the instructions in the manual, it'd be pretty easy. I know replacing the cord on my HD477's was dead simple and cost <$10.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:41 am UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:One thing with Sennheiser is that they tend to make replacing the cord anywhere from "dead easy" to "fairly practical." I haven't had my 280s long enough for wear and tear to be an issue, but based on the instructions in the manual, it'd be pretty easy. I know replacing the cord on my HD477's was dead simple and cost <$10.

Replacing cords? Do they send extra cords, have an address to send broken headphones to, etc.?
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:52 am UTC

Hooch wrote:
PhoenixEnigma wrote:One thing with Sennheiser is that they tend to make replacing the cord anywhere from "dead easy" to "fairly practical." I haven't had my 280s long enough for wear and tear to be an issue, but based on the instructions in the manual, it'd be pretty easy. I know replacing the cord on my HD477's was dead simple and cost <$10.
Replacing cords? Do they send extra cords, have an address to send broken headphones to, etc.?
Nope, they're a replacement part you'd buy, and do the swap yourself. For example, this is what I bought for my 477s. In that case, there were modular jacks on the headphones, and it was as simple as unplugging the old cord and plugging in the new cord. On the 280s, it looks like you'd need to take the cover off one of the earphones and remove a screw first.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

mosc

Postby mosc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

I believe the 428's are "on ear" instead of "around hear". Also, they're not nearly as robust.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

mosc wrote:I believe the 428's are "on ear" instead of "around hear". Also, they're not nearly as robust.

They're around the ear.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD428- ... 192&sr=8-1

Has anyone had Sennheiser cord damage? How long did it last? Being replaceable is nice, but I don't want them to break the first instant that I accidentally yank them too hard.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

Obby

Postby Obby » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

I dunno, I've had my 280's for over a year now, and with regular use (almost daily) I haven't had any issues with them or the cord. Though, I tend to take good care of my things, so my case might not be typical.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

theorigamist

Postby theorigamist » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm UTC

I've had my Sennheiser HD 280 pros for four or five years. There's no wear and tear at all. They're fantastic headphones. But you said the pair that just broke were sports headphones. Are you looking for something you can workout with? If so, I wouldn't recommend the 280s, because the cushions will make your ears sweat, movement might make them fall out of position (or off), and you'll be able to hear the bumping of the cord through the headphones. If you're not looking for headphones to use while working out, then I highly recommend the 280s.

Hooch

Postby Hooch » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

theorigamist wrote:I've had my Sennheiser HD 280 pros for four or five years. There's no wear and tear at all. They're fantastic headphones. But you said the pair that just broke were sports headphones. Are you looking for something you can workout with? If so, I wouldn't recommend the 280s, because the cushions will make your ears sweat, movement might make them fall out of position (or off), and you'll be able to hear the bumping of the cord through the headphones. If you're not looking for headphones to use while working out, then I highly recommend the 280s.

I'm not looking for something to work out in, but it's implied (or at least I think so) that sports headphones are made to resist rough treatment. Let's face it -- running isn't the ideal situation for a pair of headphones. They can get dropped, stepped on, yanked on, all while someone is running. With the exception of planned obsolescence, making sports headphones anything other than resilient would be illogical.
LOVE ME
djntd.bandcamp.com

mosc

Postby mosc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 pm UTC

The problem he is hinting at with the 280s is they are bulky. If you want to move around, you will instantly notice their size. Also, they are closed back which means they insulate sound (and air) from outside getting to your ear. If you sweat, it has no place to go. Some prefer open back because they breathe and can be worn for extended periods with no fatigue but you should know they they block NO backround sound, you'll hear everything around you as well.

The 280s are big, closed back, and somewhat heavy. However, they are extremely tough by any standard. Since you listed that as the problem, I recommended the 280s. Senn makes many many other models but I've never seen one that was as robust physically as the 280s.

Gerino

Postby Gerino » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:07 pm UTC

My personal system is:

-Koss corded headphones when I'm sitting at work, staring 8 hours into screens.
-Nokia BH-503 stereo bluetooth cordless headset, when I'm on the move.

That way I don't damage the cord by getting it hook on door handles or tangled in clothes, and because city is noisy (and I prefer to actually hear a car or train coming my way), I don't really mind the reduced quality. It really is not noticeable, compared to a subway rushing into station or old diesel engine in the bus cranking up ;)

EDIT: also, Nokia makes a higher model of the headset, which has detachable cord, active noise cancellation system, and bigger, more padded speakers, so they can be used in both situations, and generally offer better experience. But those are really expensive.

Return to “Hardware”