Interesting Problem [Non-working ports]

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Chaoszerom
Like stale dumplings for breakfast

Interesting Problem [Non-working ports]

Postby Chaoszerom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 am UTC

Hiya forumites! I seem to have a problem on my hands, with an Acer Aspire desktop machine from 2004.

You see, I was given it by a friend, with the description "The keyboard doesn't work" (Fortunately, they also gave me the prehipherals, so I stole the speakers :P). So, I plugged in the comp, keyboard and mouse and turned it on.

Good news: It booted straight into XP with no login required, and MSN also booted up.

Bad news: All USB inputs appear to be nonworking, as well as the PS2 ports on the back.

I've tried and tested it, hoping that it was just a one off, but I'm not having much luck. Any ideas as to what might be the problem?
Last edited by phlip on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:43 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I made your topic title less useless for you.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Re: Interesting Problem

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:22 am UTC

Have you tried rummaging around in the BIOS settings? There might be an entry that enables or disables USB ports. Of course, if the USB ports are truly not working, this'll be difficult since you won't be able to navigate to the BIOS in the first place.

How did your friend type on it?
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:44 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Have you tried rummaging around in the BIOS settings? There might be an entry that enables or disables USB ports. Of course, if the USB ports are truly not working, this'll be difficult since you won't be able to navigate to the BIOS in the first place.

How did your friend type on it?

I assume they haven't used it for a bit, just had it sitting collecting dust, so no idea. Tomorrow, I'll have a look in BIOS, see if that works. For now, I must sleep! *dramatic music*

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:58 am UTC

BIOS will be good. If you can't get into BIOS it's clearly a hardware problem (or a BIOS problem, but if that's the case you're screwed). If BIOS works for the keyboard, it's a windows driver problem.

In the former case, you should poke around (not literally) in the case. Maybe the USB connecting cables from the motherboard to the ports have literally come off. If not, I don't know what to tell you.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Kromix

Postby Kromix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

check the mobo for extra USB pins where you can connect a usb array, or see if there are usb in the front panel, and if they work. remember 2004, the USB might very well be USB 1.0/1.1
Click Me! <---- Click There! :)
Spoiler:

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

USB2 devices would still work though.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:18 pm UTC

If all of the usb and ps/2 ports are bad then unless you had a serial mouse how did you do anything at all?
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

It's a laptop so it probably has a touchpad or one of those little nubs to control the pointer.

zmatt

Postby zmatt » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:23 pm UTC

OP said it was a desktop. I'm not familiar with acer products but i would assume they have used aspire on laptops and desktops.
clockworkmonk wrote:Except for Warren G. Harding. Fuck that guy.

Chaoszerom

Re: Interesting Problem [Non-working ports]

Postby Chaoszerom » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:17 am UTC

zmatt wrote:If all of the usb and ps/2 ports are bad then unless you had a serial mouse how did you do anything at all?

All I did was turn on the machine and try it out.

I think I'll go have a check soon, and come back with results of the BIOS test.

Chaoszerom

Postby Chaoszerom » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:04 am UTC

Sorry about the double post, but there is an update! Just plugged it in this afternoon to give it a whirl, and the keyboard that I'm using does work in BIOS! This should help, I'd say.

In XP, neither the mouse nor the keyboard work, so I have no idea. I am considering putting Ubuntu on it and using it as a comp to learn how to use Ubuntu, though the Acer BIOS might not like it. It's only a P4 machine, so it's more of a case of an interesting challenge.

And to whoever changed the name of this topic, if I didn't myself, thanks! :P

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 am UTC

Yeah that sounds like XP has fallen over. You can reinstall XP, that would fix it. Or you could put Ubuntu on there if you want, it should run without any problems on a P4.

archeleus

Postby archeleus » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:04 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:It's a laptop so it probably has a touchpad or one of those little nubs to control the pointer.

Ah, clit mouses.
I write a blog rant here.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:41 am UTC

Chaoszerom wrote:Sorry about the double post, but there is an update! Just plugged it in this afternoon to give it a whirl, and the keyboard that I'm using does work in BIOS! This should help, I'd say.

In XP, neither the mouse nor the keyboard work, so I have no idea. I am considering putting Ubuntu on it and using it as a comp to learn how to use Ubuntu, though the Acer BIOS might not like it. It's only a P4 machine, so it's more of a case of an interesting challenge.

And to whoever changed the name of this topic, if I didn't myself, thanks! :P

I've Wubi'd Ubuntu on an Acer BIOS. Had no probs, [until the northgate blew 3 times (By the 3rd, it was out of warranty). The whole PC was cooled by one 2-inch fan, and the blades on the NG heatsink were pointing at 90 degrees to the fan, so not a surprise.] But yeah, it's a fun OS. Don't expect to be able to play Mass Effect on Ubuntu any time soon, though.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

Return to “Hardware”