Seeking person w/ working IRIX box for video file conversion

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Seeking person w/ working IRIX box for video file conversion

Postby beej175560 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Hi all,

I have an old file from 1997. It's a school project, one that I put a great deal of effort into -- but it's in a file format that I can't view. It's a video file (no audio) with the .mv file extension. My research indicates that this is an IRIX "makemovie" file, and it can only be converted to a different format by closed-source software that's part of the IRIX operating system. Sadly, IRIX will only run on SGI proprietary hardware; there are no emulators available AFAIK, so even the OS install disks are of no use to me. I've considered buying a functioning IRIX computer on Ebay, but before taking that expensive and inconvenient step, I thought I'd ask around.

Is there anyone out there who has access to a functioning IRIX computer, and who would be willing to assist me in converting this file? It's 134 MB, and I'd be happy to host it somewhere for a helpful person to download. I can even supply the shell command to convert the file, assuming I can figure it out from man pages on the internet.

Thanks,
Brian
beej175560

Re: Seeking person w/ working IRIX box for video file conver

Postby lewis » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:26 pm UTC

Hey!

Late reply but if you're still looking, I have an Octane here with IRIX 6.5.22 and would be happy to help :) I have the usual IRIX video stuff as well as Media Illusion, Flame, ffmpeg and mencoder, so I'm sure I can convert it to something useful...
lewis

Postby davidljung » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 am UTC

@lewis - do you still have that IRIX box? I have 3 .mv videos (~50-80Mb each) I think were created with movie-maker that I'd like to convert to something more 'modern' (e.g. .mp4 or Ogg Vorbis). If you're willing and able I'd like to pay a little something - $50US perhaps?
(I assume I'll get a notification of any reply here, but just-in-case you can contact me directly at djung - a . t . pobox.com (replacing - a . t . with @ obviously) ).

@beej175560 - did you manage to get your videos converted? If by some other means than lewis' help I'd appreciate learning how you did it. Thanks.

Cheers,
-David.
davidljung

Postby lewis » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 am UTC

Hi! I still have it. I can boot it up this weekend if you can get me the files, don't worry about paying though! You have mail :)
lewis

Postby beej175560 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:33 pm UTC

@lewis -- I never successfully got in touch with anyone to convert this file last year, so please drop me a line about it. My email is the same as my username here, at gmail.com.

Thank you in advance... this has been a to-do task since forever ago!

Brian
beej175560

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am UTC

Did you ever solve this? I just fired up one of my IRIX machines, and it does have makemovie installed, so I could do this easily.
shieldforyoureyes

Postby lewis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 am UTC

We got it sorted :) It was a fascinating adventure into 90s compression artifacts :)

The command line dmconvert tool ended up being faster and better quality than the mediaconvert GUI but even so, getting old interlaced renders to look good on modern progressive screens, not easy! Ran it through Shake's motion-compensated format conversion in the end.
lewis

Postby shieldforyoureyes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:59 am UTC

Yeah, interlacing is incredibly annoying when you don't want it. I have found that it is a useful aesthetic at times though.
shieldforyoureyes

Postby Bluefog » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:39 pm UTC

Hi all,
I am extremely relieved to find your post on how to convert an SGI Irix .mv file into a format that can be played on a Windows PC.
Back in the early 90's I had an SGI Indy to create 3D massing models and CAD drawings for work and experimented with the audio visual toys that came with it. For that period of time the SGI was the most advanced multi media computer on the planet and I thought the entire computing world would follow this format. I took videos using the camera of my Son when he was around one year old and now that .mv movie is all we have of him recorded.
I have been trying all the AV conversion software sites to see if anything can convert .mv to .avi or .mp4 but have not been successful as yet.
The movie I have is around 14mb and I would really love to have it viewable again. Could I beg a favor and ask if someone might be able to convert my movie too?

Kind Regards,
John
Bluefog

Postby lewis » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:54 pm UTC

Hello! I still have my machine, I'll drag it upstairs and boot it up later today :)

If you can get me the .mv file somehow I can convert it for you. You can get me via email - lewis.saunders@gmail.com :)
lewis

Return to Hardware