Monitor screen privacy filters are so expensive!

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Monitor screen privacy filters are so expensive!

Postby Myt » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:31 am UTC

So for a while I've been browsing the internet looking for a deal on a 15.6" screen filter like these:

http://www.buy.com/prod/3m-pf15-6w-priv ... 12049.html

Is there a way I can get one for a semi cheap price? Or does anyone know how it is that they are even this expensive? It seems like something which would cost $5 :(
Myt

Re: Monitor screen privacy filters are so expensive!

Postby lemmings » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:10 am UTC

The lowest prices that I see are all around $35, with the lowest being from Buy.com already.

They're likely not worth it though. They generally reduce the viewing angle of the display by half, so rather than having ~80 degrees on either end, you get something 40 degrees, this is still sufficient for anyone behind you or sitting next to you to see. You then have the added downside in that they know you're blocking it, that makes it much more interesting. Chances are, if what you're doing is actually important, random strangers are not going to understand what it is you're doing and if you're just using it for recreation purposes, the people watching you are just as bored as you.

*All references to 'they' or 'people' strictly refer to my own thoughts when I see someone using this on a plane or in Starbucks, I therefore project it onto others.
lemmings

Postby Myt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:07 pm UTC

That's a very good point you've got there, however it is a start to some privacy. The other problem with those is if you're sitting on a plane, or inside a plane, as you say, you'll have people breathing down your neck from all sides trying to see what's on screen. :?
Myt

Postby TaintedDeity » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

What you do is you buy a box of cereal, eat the cereal and then cut up and tape the cardboard box to the sides of your monitor.
You could even tape it as a hinge so it can all fold away nicely.

This method is obviously superior because you get cereal.
Ⓞⓞ◯
TaintedDeity

Postby lemmings » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:08 am UTC

Agreed, that is far superior, and it has the practical upside of being much cheaper.

In the event that people don't get the hint after one box has been applied, you buy more. Eventually, if those around you have the perception of a deaf bat, you will have constructed a Minecraftesque fort around you and your laptop.

[On topic]
Entirely understandable, if you're in the middle of the seats, you don't want your two companions leaning up against you as you're going though your Dr. Who marathon. I imagine privacy screens are one of those products though that the importance is more on the lines of quality rather than price since, for your purposes, it is worthless if those sitting next to you can still see it. The marketing materials however are all digital images of what you want it to look like, as a result, your best bet is to find a review site which uses actual images/videos of the product in action to determine if you can find one to fit your needs.
lemmings

Postby mbrigdan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

I've used laptops with those screens on them, and taken a look at how good they are. I've found that although they don't work perfectly at closeish angles, anything but dead on viewing quickly gets way to dark to say, read an email, and it would probably frustrate your casual nosy plane neighbor enough to stop them from trying to look over your shoulder.
Spoiler:
TheNgaiGuy wrote:god is playing a huge trick on us and wants us to use our brains to come to the logical conclusion, even though wrong, that he doesn't exist and will send all atheists to heaven for exercising said gifts and send all theists to hell for having faith.
mbrigdan
False Alarm! There's more rum.

Postby dukederek » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:48 am UTC

TaintedDeity wrote:What you do is you buy a box of cereal, eat the cereal and then cut up and tape the cardboard box to the sides of your monitor.
You could even tape it as a hinge so it can all fold away nicely.

This method is obviously superior because you get cereal.

Even better. The laptop compubody sock! http://sternlab.org/2008/04/body-technology-interfaces/

And I've been looking for an on topic way to link that to someone for years!
dukederek

Return to Hardware