[Lock]CPU Core temp spikes after installing new hard drives

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

[Lock]CPU Core temp spikes after installing new hard drives

Postby Kirby » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:16 am UTC

So I just installed a new HDD/SSD (and a clean copy of w7 64-bit), and now I'm hearing a loud, continuous beeping sound from my computer. The beeping is intermittent, sometimes going on for several minutes, other times a couple seconds. I can't finger any particular activity that sets it off/on. I'm pretty sure it's coming from one of my now four hard drives (I plan to disable the 2 old ones once I get the 2 new ones all set up). Other than that, I haven't noticed any obvious problems. OS is stable, I can access all of my drives, etc...

Some possibilities that come to mind:
1. One of my new drives is bad
2. One of the drives isn't getting enough power? (750w PSU, it's handling the drives + nvidia 560 + tv tuner card/wifi card/sound card

What's beeping? Is it about to explode? How do I make it stop?

EDIT: the drives I have are:
(NEW) Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS
(NEW) SanDisk Ultra SDSSDH-120G-G25
(OLD) Maxtor 6Y080P0
(OLD) WDC WD1600AAJS-07PSA0

EDIT2: I did some tinkering in BIOS - I noticed I had it set to sound a warning beep when my CPU temps got over 70C. In BIOS temps were around 64C. Now that everything's loaded up, SpeedFan tells me it's sitting around 78C. So, no hard drive has some mysterious piezo buzzer in it ;)

I'm still however, slightly baffled. Why are my CPU temps so high? What about adding in a couple hard drives could cause this?

So, the beeping stopped, and CPU core temps have gone down to 37C or so. The fan isn't obstructed. How's it getting so hot? Bad fan controller? Overloaded PSU giving too high voltages?

EDIT3: I've since installed various chipset drivers and whatnot for my motherboard. Temperatures have stabilized. Don't think there's much more to be said here. Thanks for reading, anyway :D
EDIT4: This is more for posterity than anything else at this point: installing the chipset drivers did not in fact do the trick. I should have realized this after recalling that the CPU warning buzzer went off even before installing the new OS (but after installing the new drives). I came back to the machine the next day, thought I'd double check the power cord situation... when I noticed the CPU heatsink was loose. I have no idea how that happened, but after fiddling with it for a good ten minutes, managed to get it back on there like it should. NOW everything is stable. Mods, you can lock this thread if you like. Or we can all muse about the troubleshooting process and how that heatsink came loose in the first place...
Kirby

Re: [Lock]CPU Core temp spikes after installing new hard dri

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:06 pm UTC

If the heatsink came loose, you should probably consider pulling it off entirely, removing the TIM from the heatsink and CPU, and applying new stuff. If everything is working fine, I suppose you don't need to, but it's good practice - the stuff isn't really considered reusable.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.
PhoenixEnigma

Postby Kirby » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:04 am UTC

If temps are stable around what they were before the heatsink came loose, would that be worth messing with? Are there any unforeseen consequences to just letting it alone?
Kirby

Postby Felstaff » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Kirby wrote:Mods, you can lock this thread if you like.

As ye wish.
Habent sua fata libelli et balli
Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Return to Hardware