Some microphone woes

The magic smoke.

Moderators: phlip, Prelates, Moderators General

Some microphone woes

Postby Dark Avorian » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:07 pm UTC

So...I recently a bought a pair of Skullcandy ink'd headphones with line in mic because they're pretty cheap and half decent and easy to find. I'm on a Dell Studio 15__ laptop running vista...and it seems that no matter what I fool with I cannot get the mic to function. I want to use it for like speaking to videochats and recording crappy voice quality...
The 62-foot tall statue of Jesus constructed out of styrofoam, wood and fiberglass resin caught on fire after the right hand of the statue was struck by lightning.

meatyochre wrote:And yea, verily the forums crowd spake: "Teehee!"
Dark Avorian

Re: Some microphone woes

Postby Meem1029 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 am UTC

What have you tried to get it to work? Can your system recognize that you have a mic plugged in and receive signals from it and it just an application issue, or is the system not seeing it? Have you checked in your system settings to make sure that it's not muted? Does the laptop have a webcam with a microphone built in? If so, does that work?
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing
Meem1029

Postby Endless Mike » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:46 am UTC

Are you sure your laptop's input can accept the microphone part of the miniplugz.
Endless Mike

Postby Dream » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

Look at the headphone jack itself. Does it have three rings, or two? If it is three, your computer will need to have a combination headphone/mic jack, which most don't. If it doesn't, I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless you want to get handy and solder on a pair of mini jacks to split the signals. The three ring connectors are more commonly associated with phones, and you might test the headphones in someone's phone to make sure they work.
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby EvanED » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

Dream wrote:Look at the headphone jack itself. Does it have three rings, or two? If it is three, your computer will need to have a combination headphone/mic jack, which most don't. If it doesn't, I'm afraid you're out of luck, unless you want to get handy and solder on a pair of mini jacks to split the signals. The three ring connectors are more commonly associated with phones, and you might test the headphones in someone's phone to make sure they work.

Just to be clear, Dream's "rings" are the insulators, so his "three rings, or two" is like asking whether it has "four conductors, or three". You could probably figure that out for yourself, but I just wanted to make sure there could be no confusion. :-)
EvanED

Postby Dream » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 pm UTC

I thought about the ambiguity, got lazy, and submitted the post. Ah well :)
I knew a woman once, but she died soon after.
Dream
WINNING

Postby freakish777 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

Dark Avorian wrote:running vista

[jerkface]Not sure this is a hardware issue[/jerkface]

Sorry, couldn't resist.
freakish777

Return to Hardware