Extra ingredients, or help I have buttermilk.

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Re: Extra ingredients, or help I have buttermilk.

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:58 pm UTC

Anybody here have any vegetarian recipes for pipicha they love? It is very strong and the farmers market only sells it in pretty large quantities. And for the time being I don't have anyone to share it with.

Thinking of replacing the chicken in this recipe with potatoes and making that tomorrow. Just need to get the tequila. A splash for the recipe, and a "splash" for me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:32 am UTC

Sounds like you might be able to swap it for cilantro in salsa, for one. Does it taste any good chopped up into a salad?

You can also freeze it various ways for use later. This page has a few methods: http://www.simplycanning.com/freezing-herbs.html
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 am UTC

I've never even thought to make my own salsa before, that sounds like a great idea, as well as the freezing thing. Not so much a fan of salads right now but it would probably go well in one.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 am UTC

I used to have three salsa recipes that were all simple and delicious. They're probably online now, the same ones or with variations: one fresh tomato with cilantro, one pineapple/mint (still with onion and heat), and one mango lime. The fruit salsas were great with plain tortilla chips or you could plop a spoonful beside some fish and call it gourmet.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

I hope Heaven has a periscope to Hell, because humans are really only happy relative to other humans.
- Zach Weinersmith

trpmb6

Postby trpmb6 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 pm UTC

Buttermilk does wonders for taking the "gaminess" out of wild game. What I do is I thaw venison steaks in buttermilk overnight. In the morning the buttermilk will have a pinkish look to it. The fats inside the buttermilk help draw out the remaining blood in the cut of meat. (This is where the majority of the gaminess is). In return, you get a slightly sweet flavor in the meat. You can stop here if you like, but I then go on to marinade it with whatever marinade I choose for that day. (usually some sort of Worcestershire / soy sauce mix with various spices)

My wife also makes amazing buttermilk pancakes. So Fluffy. So Moist. So Delicious.

She also has a recipe for a Cajun Chicken Penne pasta that uses heavy whipping cream and buttermilk. You might be able to find one on the internet. I have no idea what the proportions are, or what else she puts in it, but it's amazing.

Buttermilk is probably something we have on hand all the time in my house.

Return to “Food”