Controversial opinions about food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Tyndmyr

Re: Controversial opinions about food

Postby Tyndmyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:21 pm UTC

freezeblade wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:And don't let me catch you with ketchup on your hot dog

This isn't controversial, this is fact. ketchup does not belong in the same room as a proper hot dog/sausage. Also, I'll take extra kraut on that as well...and if you even try to add yellow "mustard" I will end you.

Disagree. Ketchup is the one true condiment, given to us by the gods so we do not need to eat our sausage plain. Mustard? Relish? Onions? These are the anti-ketchup, and by putting them on your brat, you are damning your eternal soul. Or would be, if there was any justice.

In actual controversy, I rarely cook anything that requires more than five minutes of attention/interaction. Stuff can cook for hours provided it doesn't need me to, yknow, care about it. This opens up a fair degree of baking, but there's some things that are just way, way too fiddly. This sometimes means I use very high temperatures, etc to cheat on times. It's very rare that my burners are ever on anything other than "off" or whatever the maximum is. People who care about cooking seem to think this is bad, for some reason.

gmalivuk wrote:Solution: don't go to or do anything whatsoever in Florida for any reason.

I see no controversy whatsoever here, because this is gospel truth, =)

The Fantasist

Postby The Fantasist » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 am UTC

All the hype about organic/all natural/nonartificial food is silly.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:12 pm UTC

Annies does not reheat well.
You need to add more milk to it and do it on the stove to regenerate its creaminess.

It's fine left over and reheated in the microwave but it pales in comparison and is far less satisfying to when it's fresh. But lunch at work is lunch at work, and left over Annie's reheated in the microwave beats your average $10 Cambridge sandwich. (I mean it doesn't beat it at all, in anyway outside of the price, but the price is kind of a big deal.)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

Reese's Puffs cereal in Hot Chocolate = Chewy, Mucky Goodness.

My son asked me for a special treat yesterday, and also some Hot Chocolate. One of his favorite treats is Cheerio's in yogurt. We didn't have cheerios, nor his favorite yogurt (he like the Trix kind with all the colors and horrible flavors). We did, however, have Reece's Puffs. Dare I add that to the Hot Chocolate? I dared.

He didn't like it and I had to make him another cup of Hot Chocolate and I gave him some toast with butter and strawberry jam. What to do with the mush he didn't want? Well, I suppose I should eat it rather than waste it.

WHATISTHISIDONTEVENTHISISAMAZING!

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:37 am UTC

Pretty controversial opinion: Cooked meals are ugh. I'm not sure why, I like hot drinks just fine, for example, and a fresh-baked bread I won't say no to either, so it's not just the temperature. As a result, I rarely cook, and tend to eat mostly fruit, (whole wheat) bread, fish, nuts, dairy, etc. Cooked meat just makes me go 'meh' (except chicken. Chicken makes me genuinely want to throw up). Veggies that have been cooked in any way (and believe me, I've tried a lot of ways), generally make me want to barf (I try to at least get some ones I sorta like raw). Rice and pasta and everything... just, no. Ew.

(And no, it's not that I just can't cook or anything. Believe me, I've tried. The restaurants and everything I've been to didn't make a difference either.)

I like to think I my eating habits are reasonably healthy, and it's definitely easier on spoons (the psychological ones, though also physical ones, I guess) that most of the things I eat also work as a quick snack. Having people over or having dinner at a friend's place is a problem, though. When they get here it's not even that big a deal: I can just cook something for friends and then eat something simple myself. When visiting them, however, it's pretty much a 'grin and bear it' kind of deal every time.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:42 pm UTC

Well, raw foods are kind of a trend these days and there are some well written cookbooks about working with them to make dishes, not just piling vegetables on a plate. They tend to have info on getting necessary nutrients in a raw diet too, which I think you might find useful.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:44 pm UTC

What about braised or steamed veggies? Do those gross you out? If not, you can slowly work your way up to fully cooked veggies.

What about cooked but cold meat, as if deli meat or left over chicken or beef or something?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:40 pm UTC

If you want a greater variety of veg there are some great looking raw soups around, and at least from my experience of chilled soups (not necessarily entirely raw, but often mostly raw or at least minimally cooked) they tend to be delicious. Just googling "raw soups" gets you a load of recipes. They have the added advantage that the prep instructions are rarely more complicated than "blend ingredients, season, serve".

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

People, I was just sharing, I don't need a bunch of advice on my diet. I think I'm doing fine. :)

PAstrychef wrote:Well, raw foods are kind of a trend these days and there are some well written cookbooks about working with them to make dishes, not just piling vegetables on a plate. They tend to have info on getting necessary nutrients in a raw diet too, which I think you might find useful.

Actually, I'd rather not focus on info on getting the necessary nutrients, since that triggers my eating disorder like mad. I try my hardest to focus on just eating healthy stuff (it helps that I don't really care for things like fried food and sweets unless I'm particularly stressed out or something), focus on variety, and figure I can't be doing worse than the food a lot of people who seem fine live on.

I mean, among the things I had today were a big salmon- and romaine-filled sandwich, a big bowl of blueberries, almond milk, a bit of cheese, some cashews, ... That doesn't sound all that bad to me. :)

I guess I eat mostly raw food, but I don't think things like bread fall in that category?

Whizbang wrote:What about braised or steamed veggies? Do those gross you out? If not, you can slowly work your way up to fully cooked veggies.

Yup. Every so often I try eating them again, but given that the stuff I already eat makes me feel good and doesn't make me want to spit it out, I always end up giving up on that. It's really not a matter of getting used to it, I think. I just genuinely don't like the taste, no matter how many different things I've tried, and I'm not particularly motivated to keep trying given the healthy and delicious stuff I eat. :)

Whizbang wrote:What about cooked but cold meat, as if deli meat or left over chicken or beef or something?

Well, chicken is ew for me, but I'm fine with eating deli meat, though I rarely buy it.

Quercus wrote:If you want a greater variety of veg there are some great looking raw soups around, and at least from my experience of chilled soups (not necessarily entirely raw, but often mostly raw or at least minimally cooked) they tend to be delicious. Just googling "raw soups" gets you a load of recipes. They have the added advantage that the prep instructions are rarely more complicated than "blend ingredients, season, serve".

The thing is, I don't want 'a greater variety of veg'. The way I'm eating works for me, I actually rather like it a lot and it makes me feel good, but I was simply sharing it because it's a bit of a controversial way to eat (which is why I always seem to get advice on alternative things to try).

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:55 pm UTC

No. Unacceptable. You must eat the same foods as everyone else.

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:56 pm UTC

:gets assimilated:

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:08 pm UTC

There is no such thing as a superfood. Until you find me a food that allows me to leap tall buildings in a single bound or move faster than a speeding bullet, something is either just plain food or not food at all.

Wait... Is this even controversial?
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

Wonderbolt wrote:People, I was just sharing, I don't need a bunch of advice on my diet. I think I'm doing fine. :)

Sorry, I shouldn't be offering unsolicited advice. I guess it's because trying new and unusual foods is kind of a big part of my life and I default to assuming that's true for everyone else too. Of course it isn't and there's no reason it should be. For what it's worth your diet sounds both pretty healthy and pretty tasty to me.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:53 am UTC

Are we talking a raw salmon and vegetable sandwich? Because that sounds impractical to say the least. Or are we talking cooked, cold salmon? Cured salmon (lox)? Smoked salmon?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Wonderbolt

Postby Wonderbolt » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:50 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Are we talking a raw salmon and vegetable sandwich? Because that sounds impractical to say the least. Or are we talking cooked, cold salmon? Cured salmon (lox)? Smoked salmon?

Canned (I'm on a student's budget, can't exactly buy smoked salmon all the time (sadly)), so I suspect it's been pre-cooked?

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:55 pm UTC

Controversial opinion: peanut butter should only contain peanuts, and possibly a little bit of oil and/or salt. Sugar does not belong in peanut butter. Ever.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:09 pm UTC

My sister recently tried haggis. Evidently it is tasty and delicious.

I will no longer be accepting food recommendations from my sister.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:55 pm UTC

Whizbang wrote:My sister recently tried haggis. Evidently it is tasty and delicious.

I will no longer be accepting food recommendations from my sister.

If you are dismissing haggis without trying it yourself, you are doing your sister a disservice. It's just a kind of giant sausage. A tasty giant sausage.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:18 pm UTC

Quercus wrote:Controversial opinion: peanut butter should only contain peanuts, and possibly a little bit of oil and/or salt. Sugar does not belong in peanut butter. Ever.

No no no, this place is for controversial statements, not empirically true facts. Stop that.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:37 pm UTC

I have heard people confirm that haggis - when well-prepared and not made like greasy mealy rubbish - is indeed tasty. I have not been able to confirm this personally.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:16 pm UTC

I've always been a fan of haggis. College did a nice one for Burn's night, and I had some once at a pub in Scotland. Both were very tasty (though college's was probably better, but it also wasn't served with greasy chicken).
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:17 pm UTC

I've never tried haggis, but given that I've enjoyed those organ meats that I have tried, I would probably enjoy haggis.

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:17 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Nah, it's offal.

you beat me to it. I was going to say that.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:03 am UTC

I fried up some liver the other day out of curiosity, but now we're not talking about controversial opinions.

Because I didn't have a strong opinion about it.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:08 am UTC

My controversial food opinion – which I've seen quite a few other people express – is that I don't like tomatoes in their raw form. I like tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and all that other stuff, but the raw ones are too slimy and pulpy for me.
And remember, my friends, future events such as these will affect you in the future.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:34 am UTC

I can sympathize, because terrible tomatoes are so widely available. But good, in-season tomatoes are amazing.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:41 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:My controversial food opinion – which I've seen quite a few other people express – is that I don't like tomatoes in their raw form. I like tomato sauce, sun-dried tomatoes and all that other stuff, but the raw ones are too slimy and pulpy for me.

In a salad (especially Greek), or topping a burger, I'll eat raw tomatoes. People just eating them all on their own are clearly aliens (poorly) disguised as humans.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:34 pm UTC

Nath wrote:I can sympathize, because terrible tomatoes are so widely available. But good, in-season tomatoes are amazing.

Yeah, I went from Lazar's belief to this one. But sadly I don't have a lot of patience for not very good tomatoes (unless they're cooked), so I feel like most times the risk outweighs the benefits on things like sandwiches. Even a not amazing raw tomato is okay if it's sliced thinly, but it seems like "uses crappy tomatoes" and "puts a centimeter thick slice on" somehow always go hand in hand.
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 pm UTC

"You just haven't had a good one" is so terribly frustrating a response to get from someone, but regarding raw tomato, I can assure you this is the case.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:34 pm UTC

I've never been a fan of grilled tomatoes. Those are always slimy and sad.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 am UTC

What kind of person in their right state of mind would even consider grilling a tomato ? :shock:
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Nath

Postby Nath » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:34 am UTC

A British person. It can work, if grilled at a high enough temperature to char the outside without slimifying the inside. Perfect with bacon and bangers and eggs.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.

Postby Angua » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:51 am UTC

It always seems to be slimified whenever I've had them.

You get them with the full English breakfast, and also, oddly, steaks.
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:59 am UTC

Angua wrote:It always seems to be slimified whenever I've had them.

You get them with the full English breakfast, and also, oddly, steaks.

Lots of places will keep them warm while the rest of the food is being prepared, which is no good and leads to, as you say, slimification. They need to be grilled very quick and hot and eaten immediately. I don't bother with them when eating out, and to be honest I'm not enough of a fan to cook them myself, but my parents often make them as part of Sunday brunch, and they're chargrilled and firm if done properly.

karhell

Postby karhell » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:01 am UTC

Ah, right, that would make sense. I've been away from England for far too long, it seems ^^
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:38 am UTC

The vast majority of British cuisine does not lend itself to being served at a restaurant.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Moo
Oh man! I'm going to be so rebellious! I'm gonna...

Postby Moo » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:39 am UTC

Things that burn your eyes to the point you can't see through the tears when preparing them can not possibly be meant for human consumption.
Proverbs 9:7-8 wrote:Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt. So don't bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 pm UTC

I've seen like a lil cherry tomato work on a grill, maybe?
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:38 pm UTC

Cherry tomatoes, when sliced in half then turned flat-side-up on a pizza, turn out amazing. The tops char from the super-hot temps.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Food”