Controversial opinions about food

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Re: Controversial opinions about food

Postby Whizbang » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

bentheimmigrant wrote:Omelettes are an excellent ketchup vector.

The only good vectors for ketchup is hamburgers and hotdogs. Hotdogs because hotdogs are gross and nearly anything on top will make it more palatable. Hamburgers because some sort of paste is required, but nearly any other moist topping is preferred.

I feel like I have posted these sentiments in this thread before.

[Edit]
Yup.
Last edited by Whizbang on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:02 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:02 pm UTC

The discussion of British food on the last page reminded me about this article on why European cuisine had been so bland for the past few centuries.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/201 ... an-cooking
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The discussion of British food on the last page reminded me about this article on why European cuisine had been so bland for the past few centuries.

Like with many things, I'm going to blame the french for that.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

karhell

Postby karhell » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:10 am UTC

gmalivuk wrote:The discussion of British food on the last page reminded me about this article on why European cuisine had been so bland for the past few centuries.

Bland ? You people have nuked your taste buds so much that you need the constant assault on your senses to even remember what flavour is !

(in all fairness, Indian cuisine is very nice, but I really like the simplicity of having ingredients taste like themselves, rather than masking everything with so many spices you can't tell what's what anymore)
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

Shro
science genius girl

Postby Shro » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Well, the "math" clearly says otherwise However, here may be interesting evolutionary reasons we prefer our food one way over another - ingredient pairing obviously has a lot of historical and anthropological data tied up in it, so it could be interesting to note the differences in metabolisms vs. food preferences (and an added component of nature vs. nurture)
argyl3: My idea of being a rebel is splitting infinitives.
Alisto: Rebel without a clause?

I made this thing:
www.justthetipcalculator.com

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:08 am UTC

Look, Indian food is fucking tight and I will fight anyone.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:15 pm UTC

Yeah but it's the ghee, we don't need to bring molecules into this.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

karhell wrote:

Bland ?

Yes, bland.

Look, I'm sorry you people's deprived upbringing has caused you to think fucking table salt is too spicy, I really am, but being poorly raised doesn't excuse a persistant adult phobia of flavors.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

doogly

Postby doogly » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 pm UTC

I think people forgot the reason for that design choice. Fresh good ingredients can just taste like themselves and this is actually great, I am pretty down! If I am having a steak a little table salt and maybe dash black pepper really is all it takes. Steak should taste like steak. And I am pretty happy if carrots taste like carrots, I will just grab and eat this thing, it is fresh and dope. If you have a fresho you do not need to do things to it.

If you take that and forget the circumstances under which it made sense, you get people gently steaming a frozen bag of mixed chopped vegetables. You may have to use color as your only cue to distinguish the cauliflower and the carrot. You are truly among extremely white people, and if there was a rosemary near the chicken you have already leaned heavily upon the mercy of the LORD.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:24 am UTC

There are also flavours you can only really taste when you have a sufficient tolerance to capsicum.

Example: I was visiting my mum and I made an emergency jalapeño sauce consisting of garlic, onion, jalapeño, tomato and stock. To my mum it had only one flavour, aka liquid fire. To me, there's the taste of garlic, sweetness from the onion, acidity from the tomato, a bit of salt and umami from the stock and both sweetness and some tingling from the jalapeño.

On the other hand, to my mum there's a significant difference between boiled cauliflower and boiled broccoli. To me, they're pretty much the same thing, only slight variations on texture.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:20 am UTC

Indeed. It was only when I'd built up sufficient tolerance to the capsaicin that I realised that chilli peppers are delicious, quite separately to their pungency.

AngrySquirrel wrote:On the other hand, to my mum there's a significant difference between boiled cauliflower and boiled broccoli. To me, they're pretty much the same thing, only slight variations on texture.

Unless they are way overboiled (in which case each tastes of nothing much at all), I also get quite different flavours from them - broccoli is more fresh/slightly metallic and cauliflower is more earthy.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:25 am UTC

Quercus wrote:Indeed. It was only when I'd built up sufficient tolerance to the capsaicin that I realised that chilli peppers are delicious, quite separately to their pungency.

AngrySquirrel wrote:On the other hand, to my mum there's a significant difference between boiled cauliflower and boiled broccoli. To me, they're pretty much the same thing, only slight variations on texture.

Unless they are way overboiled (in which case each tastes of nothing much at all), I also get quite different flavours from them - broccoli is more fresh/slightly metallic and cauliflower is more earthy.

Well, yea, raw they are quite different, but I've never encountered anyone who doesn't boil the shit out of them when it comes to dinner.

they/them/theirs

Quercus

Postby Quercus » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 am UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:Well, yea, raw they are quite different, but I've never encountered anyone who doesn't boil the shit out of them when it comes to dinner.

Oh dear, that's unfortunate, overboiled veg is distinctly meh - do people not steam veg where you are? Seriously, steaming veg is the way to go. Gets them hot and more tender, but still retains enough texture and flavour that they remain interesting. Broccoli is fantastic steamed. I don't think I've ever steamed cauliflower, but then I only use cauliflower in pies, stews, bakes and things, I don't like it enough to have as a side veg on its own.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:40 am UTC

Quercus wrote:
AngrySquirrel wrote:Well, yea, raw they are quite different, but I've never encountered anyone who doesn't boil the shit out of them when it comes to dinner.
do people not steam veg where you are?

Not very often, and when they do they usually steam them until they have the consistency of boiled vegetables anyway.

they/them/theirs

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:35 am UTC

One nice thing to do to cauliflower is roasting it. Cut it into wedges and rub them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook at 400F for about 30 minutes on a baking sheet. Turn it over once or twice. When it's a deep golden brown, it's ready.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

karhell

Postby karhell » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:08 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:One nice thing to do to cauliflower is roasting it. Cut it into wedges and rub them with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook at 400F for about 30 minutes on a baking sheet. Turn it over once or twice. When it's a deep golden brown, it's ready.

Another nice thing is cauliflower gratin. It's cooked pretty much the same way, but in a dish with béchamel sauce (and optionally mushrooms), and topped with grated emmenthal.

That said, roasted cauliflower sounds pretty nice. I'll need to try that some time. Maybe with some salad, or something.
AluisioASG wrote:191 years ago, the great D. Pedro I drew his sword and said: "Indent thy code or die!"
lmjb1964 wrote:We're weird but it's okay.
iskinner, thunk, GnomeAnne, Quantized, and any other Blitzers, have fun on your journey!
Wait well, ChronosDragon, may your seaish ketchup be molpish!

natraj

Postby natraj » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:25 pm UTC

AngrySquirrel wrote:There are also flavours you can only really taste when you have a sufficient tolerance to capsicum.

this is true, but, i mean, (since this tangent started specifically talking about indian food), there's also a difference between spiced and spicy? i do personally happen to be fond of both and there is often overlap, but they do not need to be the same. many indian foods have lots of spices but are quite mild (in terms of heat) and still very richly flavourful, no spice tolerance required. you can put dhania and jeera and amchoor and turmeric in some amaranth dal and it will be so delicious and spiced, but not remotely "hot".
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:23 pm UTC

The standard British vindaloo is a hot affair, but the recipe for Goan Beef Vindaloo I have is not especially hot - mostly meaty and tangy from vinegar and tamarind. Your standard haggis is hotter, from the black pepper. :)
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

slinches
Slinches get Stinches

Postby slinches » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 pm UTC

When did the thread title change to "entirely non-controversial statements of the obvious about food"? The concept that spicy can fall on two orthogonal scales (heat intensity and flavor intensity) should be universally known. Also common knowledge: good food can be anywhere on both of those scales

Now to get back on topic: Anyone who thinks a jalapeno is too hot is just a wuss. :twisted:

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:28 pm UTC

That might be controversial but methinks the controversy is more about whether people want to be called wusses than about whether jalapenos are super hot.

Interestingly, the jalapenos they tend to grow around here (at least, I buy them at the farmer's market from locals) are significantly hotter than the ones I used to buy on the East coast or up in Siskiyou County. And I'm talking about all green jalapenos. At first I thought maybe it was varietals but I guess it could easily be the amount of heat and sun we get here. Kind of crazy how the particulars of the climate make fruits more or less awesome, even within the wide range of "good growing season."
doogly wrote:Yeah but it's the ghee, we don't need to bring molecules into this.

I'm too lazy and cheap to use ghee though.
natraj wrote:you can put dhania and jeera and amchoor and turmeric in some amaranth dal

Well, thanks for making me hungry again after I just ate a sandwich.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:25 pm UTC

There's nothing expensive or difficult about using ghee, at least here you can buy it in half kilo cans.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

natraj

Postby natraj » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:58 pm UTC

ghee is also totally unnecessary for making delicious indian food. it is the spices, not the ghee.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:04 am UTC

natraj wrote:ghee is also totally unnecessary for making delicious indian food. it is the spices, not the ghee.
I don't know the extent to which ghee makes other Indian food delicious, but having had some gheeless Indian food courtesy of yourself, I totally concur with this post.
---

(he/him/his)

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:45 am UTC

I'm not sure I could even tell the difference between ghee and butter on a piece of butter naan. That's how little I use ghee. And my Indian cooking may not be close to as good as a native's but when I'm on, it's on.

Nath

Postby Nath » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:57 am UTC

Native checking in. I don't know anybody who uses ghee as their default cooking fat. It's generally only used in certain dishes -- usually raw, or gently cooked. And butter is a perfectly fine substitute for some of these uses. If you're frying something at high heat, you probably just want any old neutral-ish vegetable oil, i.e. canola or such.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:24 am UTC

Austin has the best Texas-style barbecue. Within Austin, La Barbecue is the best. I just tried all of them, so I know I'm right. I almost put myself into a coma with La Barbecue's beef ribs and briscuit. I was seriously worried I was going to miss my flight because I couldn't stand up.

I previously thought Franklin's was best. It is now second best. Franklin's sauce is still best, tho, so if that's important to you, go there. If you just want perfect meat, go to La Barbecue and buy a beef rib. As usual for the best barbecue joints, show up an hour or two before they open.

Salt Lick is relatively terrible (they're actually quite nice, but compared to everything else you can get in Austin, they're low on the totem pole and don't deserve anywhere near the reputation they have).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Nath

Postby Nath » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:27 am UTC

Or you could drive down to Black's in Lockhart and get top-notch barbecue without all that waiting around. Even factoring in travel time, it's faster than going to the famous Austin places, and better than any brisket I've had anywhere.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:29 am UTC

Yes, Lockhart's wonderful. But (a) I didn't have a car this trip, and (b) LA BARBECUE (and someone else was willing to show up at 9:30am to hold a spot for the group, so I could roll in a few minutes before 11 and benefit).

doogly

Postby doogly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:09 pm UTC

But whatever, it's still Texas style.

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:20 pm UTC

I now know what ghee is, since they sell it in gigantic bottles and jars and tubs at the Superstore, but NOWHERE ON THE LABEL DOES IT SAY WHAT IT IS.

... in English. I had thought it was some sort of curd or mayo.

doogly

Postby doogly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm UTC

It is not actually that important, I was just being controversial.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm UTC

doogly wrote:But whatever, it's still Texas style.

Texas-style is best style.

(I'll allow other regions their chicken and pulled pork, Texas-style is merely average for those; in particular you want something sweet and vinegary for pulled pork. But briscuit is *exquisite* when done correctly, and Texas-style is the only style that focuses on smoking, and thus the only style that is actually capable of doing briscuit correctly.)

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:41 pm UTC

Like I'm going to trust BBQ opinions from someone who can't spell "brisket".
---

(he/him/his)

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:43 pm UTC

Fuck, I knew there was something up when I got the red squiggles.

doogly

Postby doogly » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:46 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote: Texas-style is the only style that focuses on smoking

Is this some kind of joke? This must be a joke.

But you are at least right to notice that the Carolinas pay more attention to pork. You have just failed to follow their glorious and wise leadership.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:13 pm UTC

Other regions *use* smoking, yes, but none of them *focus* on it like Texas does. For evidence, see the fact that no other region has mastered brisket, as it requires 6-12 hours to get decent. This is not a controversial opinion. The Carolinas do probably use smoking more than any other non-Texas region, tho.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

Mmm I love BBQ. I grilled a whole sirloin steak once, it was great.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:16 pm UTC

I had brisket last week. It was delicious.

It was made in Massachusetts, however, so would most likely have been called a roast or some such by a brisket lover/Texan.

Aiwendil

Postby Aiwendil » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:37 pm UTC

Controversial opinions:

Most vegetables should be eaten raw.
Meat is generally better medium or well-done than rare.
Cinnamon-raisin bagels are a horrific abomination (there should never be anything sweet in or on a bagel).
There is no decent pizza outside of the greater New York area (Italy might be an exception).
Pizza is best without any toppings except possibly pepperoni.
Plain water has an unpleasant taste.
Sweet beverages should never be served with sweet food (I assume that when a parent gives a child juice and cookies, it is an attempt to dissuade the child from eating cookies by making them think they taste like cardboard).

freezeblade

Postby freezeblade » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:49 pm UTC

Aiwendil wrote:Controversial opinions:
Cinnamon-raisin bagels are a horrific abomination (there should never be anything sweet in or on a bagel).

As a former night baker for a bagel company, this isn't controversial, it's a god damn fact.

"Blueberry bagels" can also go die in a hole.

"Pumpernickel bagels" can be sweet-ish, in a molasses/chocolaty/malty way, but that's different, and acceptable.
Belial wrote:I am not even in the same country code as "the mood for this shit."

Return to “Food”