Homemade Ice Cream

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

sparkyb

Homemade Ice Cream

Postby sparkyb » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:57 am UTC

I'm not much of a cook, but I love to make my own homemade ice cream. Yes, I do use one of those Cuisinart motorized frozen cylinder things that does all the work, but I like experimenting with the recipes. I'm curious to see if anyone else here makes their own ice cream and what flavors they like to make. I generally only make one flavor at a time and mostly just for myself (or a date or something), but occasionally I'll make it to bring to a party. I've definitely thought about how I could share it with more people. One idea I had is to hold an ice cream taste-test party. We could compare homemade, local shop, and different store-bought varieties of the same flavor, although maybe having some variety would be good? I'm not sure what other variants of this party could be done. Does this sound like a good idea?

Here are some of the flavors I make regularly or have made. What have you made? What would you most want to try? Any suggestions I should try to make? Happy to answer questions about any of these.

Frequent:
Strawberry
Oreo (Cookies-n-Cream)
Rootbeer

Occasional:
Peppermint Stick
Pumpkin

Experiments:
Chocolate Fudge Brownie (only did the for the first time last night, but expect it to be occasional if not frequent)
Peach
S'mores
Chocolate Thin Mint

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: Homemade Ice Cream

Postby poxic » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 am UTC

Never made ice cream myself, apart from a freeze-in-pan variety that was more dairy-free sorbet than anything else. I did work in an ice cream store in high school, though, and was the main ice cream maker in my last year there. (We had an awesome frickin' machine, like a tall washing machine. It made a five-gallon tub of the cold stuff in ten minutes flat, plus several hours for the tub to sit in the deep freeze.)

We tried one flavour that rocked (in small servings): Pumpkin Pie Spice. I don't remember the details anymore, but it was cinnamon with nutmeg and cloves, I think. Possibly a speck of powdered ginger. The base was ordinary unflavoured ice cream, like making vanilla but without adding the vanilla extract.

Banana was also delicious. Same unflavoured base, add some pureed bananas (or let the machine do the pureeing) and mix well. Try a mix of overripe with just-ripe bananas to get that full-spectrum effect. You could probably add chopped nuts if you like.

Pineapple-orange was an experiment that turned out unexpectedly delightful. Most of our recipes consisted of "start with base, add half a can of X flavouring and stir in [thing]", where [thing] was a scoop or two of a bulk ingredient (cookies, M&Ms, strawberries in a plastic drum). For the pineapple-orange, I drove to the grocery store and bought some tins of pineapple and orange chunks in juice, then tipped them into the machine while the plain base was whipping up. Yummers.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:06 pm UTC

My friend has a machine thingummy, so we've made ice cream several times when visiting him. It's generally yay. We've been pretty happy with doing a coconut milk as substitute to make vegan ice cream, which is neat. Other than that, it's mostly been unexciting chocolate and vanilla flavours, but just using the best quality chocolate and vanilla we can come up with, so still pretty spiff.

Chocolate thin mint sounds amazing, though. Hrmm...
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

I've been on a bit of an ice cream kick myself. I've either been making recipes from the Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams cookbook or making my own using Jeni's base recipe. Recently, I've made Roxbury Road (pro tip: when it says to cover the marshmellows with greased plastic wrap, do NOT try to get away with ungreased plastic wrap) and salted caramel out of the cookbook. My "creative" attempts have involved a batch of merlot ice cream and one of frangelico ice cream with toasted hazelnuts and layers of caramel.

marcel

Postby marcel » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:35 am UTC

I don't use any recipes, but here is what I usualy make with my ice cream machine:

Half a melon (preferably hoeydew, galia if they are out of season.
banana
lemonjuice (to taste)
sugar (to taste)
a lot of mint (I have basic, swiss, strawberry in my garden, trying to find some chocolate mint)
honeyleave

blender all very well.

add thick yoghurt to get a nice amount for the machine and then put in the machine.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:24 pm UTC

My sister used to make ice cream while visiting her Thai mother-in-law. I don't have any recipes, but the MIL used to use coconut milk to make both green tea and red bean ice cream. I never had hers, but those are both very tasty ice creams.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

Whitekiboko

Postby Whitekiboko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:31 pm UTC

I have two of the cuisinart frozen bowl machines. I bought the 2nd of a whim, seeing it in a clearance section for $10. I bought it mainly to have another bowl.

The most frequent thing I make is a framboise lambic/kiwi sorbet.

I was disappointed by the texture of my guinness/vanilla attempt, but that's my fault.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:39 pm UTC

Recently had a fancy sundae with cheese flavored ice cream (like the cheese flavor you find in danish) and marzipan sherbet which was really not sherbet but ice cream. You could do the marzipan one really easily, not sure how to do the cheese flavor well.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:32 am UTC

We finally stopped being lazy and made a proper custard for our ice cream, and it is wow. Vanilla base with pistachios and bing cherries.

Problem with the cherries is that they turned into little frosty frozen bits. Seems clear that I need to remove some moisture, but I don't know what the best route is; dry them out a bit in the fridge after cutting them up? Or cook them down just a bit and turn the juice into a light syrup?
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:32 am UTC

Cook them with some sugar. It inhibits freezing.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Return to “Food”