Pasta Trek

Apparently, people like to eat.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EchoRomulus

Pasta Trek

Postby EchoRomulus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

I want to make pasta. But I don't have a pasta machine, blender accessory, or advanced knowledge of baking from scratch. Obviously I should start with something easy. Tortellini.

I found via the wellspring of knowledge (Google) pasta recipes are very simple. But the filling is basically left up for choice. This gets me very excited.

I was thinking gruyere and minced shitake with a smidge of basil or oregano. I know gruyere is strong but I've gotten used to it. Asiago might be a milder option...perhaps both...

Can anyone with experience explain to me what I am going to do wrong before I do it? Any warnings? More specifically, when I make it should I store it in the fridge before I cook it? Also, for how long? Or can it be cooked fresh?
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

Nath

Re: Pasta Trek

Postby Nath » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:30 am UTC

Wait, tortellini? I'm sure it's doable, but wouldn't it be simpler to start with a pasta that isn't all intricately folded? I figured tagliatelle would be the default fresh pasta, since you can pretty much just roll it out, cut it up, and cook. On the rare occasions that I make fresh pasta, that's what I do.

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Postby PAstrychef » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:03 am UTC

If you want a filled pasta, raviolis are much easier than tortellini. Remember, pasta has been made since Apiciusus-who wrote his cookbook in the 4th century. No blenders or KitchenAides then!
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

EchoRomulus

Postby EchoRomulus » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:57 pm UTC

That was the joke. I was going with something difficult from the get-go.

I'd much rather do a filled pasta than a flat one if I can get the dough right. Ravioli hardly looks simple to me. But I saw Gordon Ramsey teach a simpleton how to do tortellini and it's only a fold and a curl.
"In here life is beautiful." --Cabaret

Return to “Food”