Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Identify my chilli

Postby AngrySquirrel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:32 am UTC

It looks like this:
mysterious chilli.jpg
Mysterious chilli

The chillis ripen from green to red. It has tiny white flowers. In taste it's higher on the melt-your-face-scale than piri piris, but that's about as scientific I can get with that.

I adopted it and one other from a friend, he got the seeds from someone else who didn't know exactly what they were either. This is the only one who's had fruits yet (we're in Norway in November, so that's quite normal). It's only had one fruit though, so I can't quite tell how it grows it's fruits yet (this one might be abnormal or normal, who knows?).

I've been looking at this and this, in an attempt at identification, but nothing quite matches.

So I know I probably won't be able to get a good identificator as to what type it is until it starts producing more fruit (March I guess), but I'm impatient and curious.

Edit: I've been thinking it might be a type of pequin-pepper, but the plant itself doesn't seem to fit with the images I've seen of pequin-pepper plants.
Putting the fist into pacifist.

they/them/theirs

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Identify my chilli

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:20 pm UTC

From the picture, it looks like a Christmas bulb plant. I can not ID your pepper from that image, sorry.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Postby Angua » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:18 am UTC

Looks like a Zimbabwe bird pepper? http://www.theopensourcerer.com/2009/10/ot-the-2009-open-sourcerers-chilli-harvest/

I found that because the tiny + hot sounds a lot like the bird peppers at home, but ours are a lot more pointy than that. So it's definitely in the bird pepper family, and the shape looks like the Zimbabwe one.

A memories of the days when we would dare each other to eat them, then cry because our mouths were on fire and my mother would just shake her head and give us milk.
'Look, sir, I know Angua. She's not the useless type. She doesn't stand there and scream helplessly. She makes other people do that.'
GNU Terry Pratchett

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:38 am UTC

The leaves do not match the Zimbabwe Bird Pepper seen here. The leaves seem to curve back behind the stem (I'm sure there's a botanical term) yet that seems uncommon. I think your best bet is to look at the leaves first, peppers second if you want to identify them.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

ahammel
My Little Cabbage

Postby ahammel » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm UTC

Thesh wrote:The leaves seem to curve back behind the stem (I'm sure there's a botanical term) yet that seems uncommon.

"Cordate", and yes, it's pretty uncommon for nightshades if I remember correctly.

That seems to fit the description of a bird pepper as well:

http://keys.trin.org.au/key-server/data ... sculum.htm

EDIT: this page has pictures of a Texas bird's eye with distinctly cordate leaves, as well as a Zimbabwe bird chille with leaves that are not quite cordate, but not quite so lanceolate as the ones in Thesh's picture. There seems to be some individual variability, so maybe leaf shape isn't such a great character to go by after all.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php? ... &genus=Any
He/Him/His/Alex
God damn these electric sex pants!

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:57 pm UTC

So turns out that my chillies might be of two different types as one of them is currently going into hibernation while the other one is blooming.

The one that's blooming now (not the one if the OP):
Spoiler:
chili2.png
Chilli #2

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:44 pm UTC

Chili#2 has had its first ripened fruit.
chilli#2.jpg

About the size of the nail on my thumb, gone from green to yellow. Looks like an ordinary bell pepper, except a lot smaller. Waiting to cut it open for a few days yet, I'll check the colour of the seeds then.

they/them/theirs

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:28 am UTC

If I saw that in a grocery store here, my guess would be habanero.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:43 am UTC

I suggest wearing latex or vinyl gloves when touching it for the first time.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I suggest wearing latex or vinyl gloves when touching it for the first time.

What's that? Rub it into my genitals? Well, I wasn't going to, but since you insist.

they/them/theirs

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:55 am UTC

I know a woman who forgot to wear gloves when chopping chilis, then had to change a tampon. The pain, she says, was memorable.

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:36 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I know a woman who forgot to wear gloves when chopping chilis, then had to change a tampon. The pain, she says, was memorable.

To paraphrase Finn the Human: Pain is like kinky foreplay with the universe, and everyone wants to get with the universe.

they/them/theirs

AngrySquirrel
Hellish Sex Goddess

Postby AngrySquirrel » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:22 pm UTC

Update: that was pretty hot. And I mean that in the non-sexual way (or am I?). Seeds were normal seed-colour, not black as I was kind of in the bottom of my heart secretly hoping. It smelled very...green? And my mouth is now on fire (and so is my lips and throat). Bit stronger than the other one. Fairly confident in assuming it's some kind of habanero, maybe?

Edit: I sneezed and now the inside of my nose is on fire too. Do not recommend.

they/them/theirs

PictureSarah
Secretary of Penile Nomenclature

Postby PictureSarah » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:39 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:I know a woman who forgot to wear gloves when chopping chilis, then had to change a tampon. The pain, she says, was memorable.

I've done this. I had even washed my hands after chili chopping, and I still spiced parts of myself that I would prefer remain unspiced.
"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."

Sheikh al-Majaneen
Name Checks Out On Time, Tips Chambermaid

Postby Sheikh al-Majaneen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:06 am UTC

Chopped up a jalapeno bare-handed, then sauteed it in olive oil. While sauteeing the jalapeno, stuck my face over the frying pan. That was memorable.

An hour later the jalapeno hands kicked in. Be very careful going to the bathroom when thus afflicted. I wasn't.

Return to “Food”